No announcement yet.

extreme couponing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I admit it, I have been watching the show like crazy.. I dont get the paper, and when Monday rolls around well, I forget to go get the paper.. lol..
    Heres what I wonder, where do you think all the people in those towns are gonna flock to if the SHTF? You know their names, lay oftheir houses, whats in their pantrys, and basements.. lol.. Its like they want the recognition! I tell ya, if it were me- Id have my face blocked out, and a voice synthesizer like in the "mobs in hiding" shows... :) Good tips though.. Lord knows, we could all use a little financial break at the stores with the prices as high as they are.. Donations to the food banks and such are awesome- hat's off to the people that can pull of 3000.00 worth of goodies for under 30 bucks!!
    If the zombies chase us, Im tripping you!!!

Comment

We just get the neighbors paper on Wensdays....after they are done....one lady from church brings them also....

If they are especially good coupons.....buy a paper...it will pay you back....

I just hate to buy that liberial rag.....:(
      Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

Ok I will be the bad guy on this one. Do you really need 100 bottles of yellow mustard for a family of 3?:confused: In theory I like what they do but like skyowl said my family does not eat a lot of frozen dinners or processed food and in our papers the coupons are almost always for foods that are not healthy or good for you. On most of the shows I have watched the people are way over weight and not in great shape but they did have coupons for 80 bottles of soda and 60 candy bars and 40 bags of chips. I think some of them have become obsessive compulsive about it and it has taken over their lives, the rush of saving $500. Now on the pro side, I do use coupons for thing that are shelf stable and foods that we do eat or products that we do use. Any way to save money on things you use is not a bad thing but I saw one lady buy 24 boxes of cereal that she said her son does not like but she had coupons for it. On another show one of the women’s sons’ friends said that he knew what house he was going to first when the zombie apocalypse comes. Now I did watch one show were the women was either a prepper or a Morman and she had it dialed in with stock rotation and products that were shelf stable and had trade value. Again I am not against coupon use but I think the show set a bad example and it troubles me thinking that a high percentage of their food stocks probably goes to waste through spoilage but it makes for good tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaman View Post
          Ok I will be the bad guy on this one. Do you really need 100 bottles of yellow mustard for a family of 3?:confused: In theory I like what they do but like skyowl said my family does not eat a lot of frozen dinners or processed food and in our papers the coupons are almost always for foods that are not healthy or good for you. On most of the shows I have watched the people are way over weight and not in great shape but they did have coupons for 80 bottles of soda and 60 candy bars and 40 bags of chips. I think some of them have become obsessive compulsive about it and it has taken over their lives, the rush of saving $500. Now on the pro side, I do use coupons for thing that are shelf stable and foods that we do eat or products that we do use. Any way to save money on things you use is not a bad thing but I saw one lady buy 24 boxes of cereal that she said her son does not like but she had coupons for it. On another show one of the women’s sons’ friends said that he knew what house he was going to first when the zombie apocalypse comes. Now I did watch one show were the women was either a prepper or a Morman and she had it dialed in with stock rotation and products that were shelf stable and had trade value. Again I am not against coupon use but I think the show set a bad example and it troubles me thinking that a high percentage of their food stocks probably goes to waste through spoilage but it makes for good tv.
          I've never watched a whole episode....but we use coupons to get preps and things to cook meals with.....not heat up....as I would guess most folks here do.

We do keep a couple "quick and easy" meals...frozen usually....ready to go.....but even then....I like to make it ahead of time....and warm home made food.

but I have a big Stoffers Lasagna in there for when I'm responsible for dinner and don't want to cook....:)

ETA:....you got something against mustard?...:)
          Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

Heck I have a 5 yr old so we stock mini frozen pizzas because there are some days when between 2 jobs I just don't have the time to make fresh pizza. Now if the lady that has $4000 dollars worth of razors is selling them on ebay to make money that would make since, but It sure didn't look that way. This morning I purchased 60 box of name brand past because they were on sale for 50 cents per box, now that brings our pasta count well over 140 boxes. Now we eat pasta in some form twice a week so this is always being used and it provides a good long term food. A few weeks ago a market by use had a name brand jared pasta sauce on sale for 75 cents a jar down from $2.75 well I picked up 50 jars to add to 40 I had from the last sale. My family will go through 50 plus jars a year. The best part was because I also had 20 cases of water the cashier asked if I was expecting something, and with a smile I said " Why yes I am". She then asked what and I told her "for food prices to keep going up". Never tip your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaman View Post
              the cashier asked if I was expecting something, and with a smile I said " Why yes I am". She then asked what and I told her "for food prices to keep going up". Never tip your hand.
              Well, I dont think thats a lie.. lol.. :) food prices at the grocery are insane, the inflation in just the last few months makes me sick! I shop 4 different stores, just trying to save a few bucks! Its worth the headache of trying to cart the kids along, IF I know Im planned out and making good purchases..
              Also, how dare you not make fresh pizza? Seriously, Im all about the kids eating healthy, but I completely understand, and I may get criticized, but my little ones eat frozen chicken nuggets.. shocker, I know.. it happens.. 50 cents a box is a great deal on pasta! We also eat pasta once or twice a week, between spaghetti and pasta salad, or macaroni salad, or "Red macaroni" its just elbow mac with tomato sauce, and butter with pepper.. I grew up on that, and ramen..I shop the deals as best as I can.. still learning the coupon bit.. I dont want a crap load of stuff I cant use. I want savings on my every day stuff. I did learn tha Kroger (if you have them or Smiths) has their ecoupons available to download online to your Plus card. With out those or the 10 for 10 they are way too expensive. I hate what Wally World has become, but they still have some good deals on simple staples...
              If the zombies chase us, Im tripping you!!!

Comment

Wally World may not be where most people want to shop, but they will make any stores advertised price AND they take coupons.
                Also, don't forget to shop at places that have a gas bonus with their card. We just got a bunch of gas stations start taking two stores cards for cents-off gas purchases. That can make a big difference in itself.

Comment

i've dabbled in it from time to time. there are some good deals to be had.

HOWEVER, the coupon show doesn't really make a lot of sense to me because:
                  1. The couponers get 200-300 sets of the same coupons per week.
                  2. 50% of the savings comes from "loyalty cards" which i use anyways.
                  3. They buy 200+ bottles of mustard, SOBE Lifewater, laundry detergent, downey, pine-sol, etc, etc every week only because it's "on sale and I can't afford to pass it up". that's untreated OCD more than anything else.
                  4. Most stores will only double or triple manufacturer coupons up to 30 per trip, which people got around by having multiple transactions....now the coupon policies are up to 30 per HOUSEHOLD per week.
                  5. Most major chains have a very large marketing department that communicates extensively with their purchasing dept, and they will run sale items in conjunction with manufacturer coupons the result in free (or nearly free) product for a very limited time, on very limited items.
                  6. Just in time supply models limit the amount of goods obtained by this practice by limiting shelf availability, and there are no rainchecks.
                  7. The golden rule of prepping is store what you use, and use what you store. I don't think I'll ever use 400 bottles of Wisk; so why waste the energy, time, resources, and storage space just to say "Look!! I bought $500 worth of stuff for $9.50"?

I do still get decent deals, in decent quantities, on stuff i DO use frequently.

YMMV, but that's been my experience.
                  surviveinthesuburbs.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X