X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tugaloo
    replied
    Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
    This time like all the rest My wife and I get mad when one catches a fish they run back to eat it asap instead of fishing all day and nite to get a lot of fish!! Every time! That is not surviving!
    IMO, anyone claiming to have survival skills ought to know how to smoke or air dry their excess fish or game.
    They also need to know how to remove scent glands from any wild game they harvest.

Leave a comment:

• RICHFL
    replied
    This time like all the rest My wife and I get mad when one catches a fish they run back to eat it asap instead of fishing all day and nite to get a lot of fish!! Every time! That is not surviving!

Leave a comment:

• Garand
    replied
    This show if for entertainment only, there is no "reality" in it at all. Because of all the limitations imposed it is "who can starve the least over the longest period of time". Only an idiot would think its real or its a quick way to get rich fast.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    they have to have medical teams ready. if somebody gets really hurt/killed, it'd be the end of the show, public outcry, blacklisting, even if insurance did protect them. I doubt you know much anyway. Sure doesn't show here. One of the producers on one of the shows, (naked/afraid I think) nearly died from a snake bite on location. They do choose some real lops in most cases. They dont want even TWO really competent people, cause it would cost them a lot of money. They might let ONE such person on per seaon, but I bet you only get on the show as a real bushman if they dont think you ARE. Nobody as of yet has impressed me with knowledge/ability, altho some have been VERY tough when it comes to staying-power.

Leave a comment:

• grumpygremlin
    replied
    personally I think all these "reality" shows are all false, they even have doctors ready in case anyone hurts themselves or has a health problem, many of them are scripted for "realism", its not real life and its all about ratings. I do not base my survival on such shows, if I do watch them its to see how many things they get wrong, some of them very basic mistakes which even a green newbie wouldnt make.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    it's pretty damned silly to note that they DO catch 20-30 lbs of fish in 50 days, with 60 sq ft of gillnet, which catches only one size of fish, and can't be baited, and one hook and line (barbless hooks are worthless as trotlines) and then ALSO assume that 30x as much netting, with a raft, used as a seine and baited traps (which catch ALL fish larger than the mesh size) wont catch 30x that much fish, when actively deployed, By "chivvying" the fish into the traps with the seine and the raft. you increase your catch by several fold (as vs just having the traps set). You can also have a dozen treblehooks baited with the bags to protect the bait from minnow-nibbling, while still having 4 treblehooks set for predators.

The three 100m (each) long "chum-lines", with a float and a little bait bag tied every 5m to the line, reach out far into the lake, bringing in fish that would normally never visit your shoreline. The little bait-bags full of fish guts and cut-up fish-heads, leak the scent-taste of the fish out of the tiny hole in the bag, causing minnows to hang around. The minnows attract the smaller fish. Minnows tend to go up into the shallows for grubs, worms and the warmth of the sun and and cause big fish cant go there. So they draw the big fish to your baited traps.

Having to eat 300+ lbs of fish flesh in 100 days, 650 calories per lb (ready to eat) is a very daunting task without the salt.
    Last edited by registror; 04-18-2021, 12:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    The 3 weeks that they waste on building a "heavy-duty" shelter and gathering wood for a fire (that they dont need inside of a PROPERLY made shelter)will easily let them make the 1800 sq ft of 1.5" mesh netting, the pontoon outrigger raft, the chum-lines, the treble-hooks, all of which will give them energy to do other things while the net-traps "hunt" for them. They can then be setting and checking big game traps as well as the treblehooks set for predators. Small game traplines are usually not worth the calories and time spent to check them.. However, if you're already checking the big game traps and predator treblehooks, you might as well have some small game net-boxtraps and snares set in between the big game sets.

Multiple (baited) foot-snares can be set, being 8-strand cables, made out of the 1000 ft of 20 ga snarewire. that you're allowed to take. Cable the snares to 150 lbs of drag logs, so that the animal is exhausted/harms itself in a short distance, while leaving an obvious trail. Dont risk cabling them to something solid, cause when they are strong when first- trapped, they can break your little cable. If the producers/local people find out that you're wounding/losing big animals, they'll kick you off of the show.

Springpole kill traps can be set, with narrow "v" shaped brushpiles, baited with salted cambium, which force the animals to put their heads EXACTLY where you want them. Then a really powerful springpole can drive a fire-hardened wooden stake into their brain/spine, killing them instantly. If you cant find dead-standing springpoles, cut them off and mount them on stakes where you need them, you can dry out green ones by suspending them between a couple of Siberian fire lays for a week or so. The Siberian projects its heat all in one direction. up to 2m. With one on each side, the springpoles can be semi-cooked very well indeed.
    Last edited by registror; 04-18-2021, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    Originally posted by Sekelbos View Post
    I agree. Though not fimiliar with that part of the world or the conditions as shown,i would also maybe went about a long term survival situation in a different way. So far everybody shown only have inadequate short term shelters and plans. I think this show has scope for a good series, but so far it dissapoint. Hopefully the later episodes and guys show some real survival/bushcraft skills . These first episodes show as Richfl so rightly indicated only a couple of unprepared ,bumbling novices__real knowledgable contestants would make for a far more realistic, educational and better show. Its early days yet,lets cross our fingers that later episodes will pick up....
    they want the show OVER with in 3 months, or they lose money on it. They only get 2 million viewers. You can only sell just so much advertising with that small a share of the market. They make a little selling the videos, and that's it. So they dont want anyone who knows what to do. You do NOT, for instance, waste a week and 15,000 calories on building a "winter shelter'. when doing so causes you to starve out before winter ever comes! They've ALL made that glaring error. All but 2, out of 70, have just STARVED. They LIE about why they quit, but they really do so because they're starving and see no way to fix it. The 2 just starved before they got lucky. They are STUCK in a 1.2 mile radius of their dropoff location. If they arrow an animal and it gets beyond their boundaries, they are not allowed to retrieve the meat. The odds are quite high that you'll never SEE a big animal on your little 2.5 sq miles of land the entire challenge, much less get a shot at it. However, lots of fish are right there, well proven by many in past seasons. WHY is a little 60 sq ft gillnet worth taking and 30x that much netting not worth making,, hmm? that's what can be made of the cotton rope hammock., in 2 weeks or less and no, you dont have to wait until all of the netting is made. A couple of days suffices to make enough netting to build a net "wall" out into the lake from the shore and a seine to pin fish between the seine, the net wall and the shoreline. Make it 3" mesh. and you'll have 600 sq ft of it in 2 days. If all of the fish are smaller than the 3" mesh, you can weave in splits of local vegetation and convert the mesh to 1.5".

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
    The guy who lost his Ferro rod had found a place he really liked and was going to have a decent place to set up. He did mention at the end of second show that he could keep the fire burning 24/7. I think there was something else going on that we weren't shown. I can't believe he gave up so easy.

And you are right about the one that saw the bear. I would at least had my knife out or up a tree or something, anything. He just stuck his head in the sand and complained.
    I thought they made a big deal about going to get him by truck, a 3 1/2 hour trip after midnight. If he was really in danger he would have been at least injured when they got there. And did you notice all the rescuers showed was pepper spray and flares for defense? I'll bet there was a weapon of deadly force somewhere with the group, probably the cameraman had it.

Also, what is with all the guys missing their families, girlfriends, etc. It's only been 5 days. Surely the guys have spent longer than that away from them camping during hunting season, perhaps not alone but away from the family. Perhaps they are being coached? Or have they never ever been truly alone?

Edit - did no one know where they were going? I keep missing the first 5 min of the show. For some reason my DVD insist on starting 5 min after the hour with this show instead of on the hour. Maybe I can catch the reruns they have at 2 or 3 am. Gotta check on that.
    Bunch of pussies. In WW2, tens of millions of men did'n't see their families for 4 YEARS. This bunch cant handle a month? wtf has happened to US men? If you're scared of bears, make a ladder, spend your first night in a hammock 15 ft up in a tree. Tie yourself into it with multiple bow knots, no worries. You'll be awakened by a bear trying to climb your tree. The next day, find a big tree with a couple of semi-parallel limbs, and build a sleeping platform up there. There's 5 easy ways to make fire, without a ferrorod. The flare is one of them. Bow drill SUCKS, especially in a humid place like vancouver island, with nothing but wet coniferous wood. You should use rust from your Cold Steel shovel to fire-roll a strip of your shemagh, or use the head lamp battery, a strip of copper "snare wire", lint scraped from your shemagh, and tape to ignite a fire. It only takes half a day to make a big pump drill, which always easily starts friction fire, no matter how damp it is, IF you know to use "drying cycles'" Once youhave one fire, you'll have ashed tinder and charred materials. With those, kept dry in a tarp and tape drybag, you can start fires with any hard, sharp rock and any carbon steel tool.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    OK I'm going to start this as a series of what I liked and did not like on the show.

1. They picked people who claimed to be experts in survival and living in the deep woods. Each showed their skills via the video they submitted to be picked for the show. After a quick interview and signing all the legal papers off they were taken via helo and boat to the site where they would live alone until there was only one. He would claim $50,000.

A, They did not do a very good job of getting the right type of people for this show. Someone is going to either die or get seriously injured very soon.

2. There has been (2) 1 hour shows, and in those 2 days, 2 people have quit. The first was so afraid of wildlife that he should have never been picked. The second also stated he had a family and was not going to die just to entertain people. AGAIN A MAN WHO WAS NOT PREPARED.

A. What they need to do is to have a mini boot camp of 5-7 days where in groups of 10 - these people show the skills they do have, and would learn the additional ones they would need. I noticed none came from an area of the country that had rain forests.

b. You could to 3 groups of 10 and pick the top 3 from each section and one that scored the top over all. Make it into a 2 hour special. With the first hour showing the elimination process and the 2nd hour the beginning of the real test.

Things I have noticed:

Not one has prepared a set of bear alert lines around their camp site.

Not one has prepared security weapons like spears to fight off wildlife. You do not need a knife tied at the end of a spear; you just make a point and harden it in the fire.

Several people have been drinking without boiling the water. Those are the one who will get sick very soon.

No one has really improved their camp sites with tables or stools, or even improving their sleeping quarters with additional insulation with the ferns available. No one has improved their beds, by putting down leaves as padding.
    No one has built a reflecting wall around their fire pits.

No one has scouted around for animals to eat (4 legged types like deer or bear) You get one and you are set for well over a month of good meat. Just need to smoke it then store it high in a tree branch.

Why is no one fishing?
    I
    fishing with hook and line, in cold weather, burns more calories than you'll get back. they need to cut the 24 big hooks in half, reshape the ends, convert them into treblehooks with wraps of fishline, and set them as trotlines. They need to make the pontoon outrigger raft, the chum-lines, the 1800 sq ft of 3" mesh netting out of the cotton rope hammock, set it as baited net weirs. Takes 6 days to do and you'll catch 10 lbs of fish per day, no problem. That's 3500 calories and you'll need to eat every bit of it.

Almost nobody even knew to make a raised wooden bed. They could put 4 head sized stones in 4 pits under such a bed, surrounded by ashes, and it would warm them for 4 hours. A siberian fire lay will warm those rocks in half an hour.. A 100 lb deer is just 40,000 calories, enough for at most 12 days. Wrap it in a chunk of tarp and bury it in the ground, right next to your shelter. That will refrigerate it. I'd boil off a lot of sea water for salt brine in which to dip small strips of the meat and smoke it, but that's a lot of work and it's cold, wet and windy, pita.

they DID and do take 20 of them to a boot camp, mostly so they can learn about camera use There is no issue with the predators. They are just a bunch of pussies. You are correct about boiling the water, even if caught from the tent, cause there' bird crap on the tent, bugs, etc. Both are sources of parasites.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
    IMHO all of these people should have looked at things differently. This is not a survival contest. This is not a "get through this mission" contest. It is a Last Man Standing, long term, way of life. Hindsight is always 20-20, but if you were going into this situation wouldn't you think long term? Permanent shelter. A mountain of firewood. Permanent fresh water. A secure perimeter. Days planned with chores, and things to accomplish to improve your lifestyle.

If you went into this thinking "this is my new home" wouldn't you do things differently? I'm not going to live in a tarp forever. Certainly not in a Canadian Winter! Wouldn't you want to find, or make a way to get DRY? Wouldn't you make weapons to protect yourself from the apex predators?

Just my 2 cents. How would you approach it?
    wrong approach. You dont want to waste time or calories on anything but feeding yourself and staying warm and dry. One hour will convert the 20x20 tarp into a nice tent for most of the show. Later, a few hours will convert it into a double walled, debris stuffed sleeping shelter, no need of a warming fire or wasting the time and calories on processing firewood.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    OK we had a two part special on the 2nd of August. The show will continue next week. They are down to 4 people. All are living on what they can get from the sea. None are trying to hunt and only one is trapping (Mice).

So we can see major mistakes being done by the whole group.

a) No hunting/trapping being done seriously.

b) two of the 4 are still cooking food inside their shelter. That smell invites local predators in from up to 3 miles away..

Of the 4 left the guy who had built his sleeping quarters in a cave will last the longest. He seems to stay warm does his cooking at another site and is not being bothered by local predators.

They do not seem to realize that winter is coming, storms are more often and last longer. Freezing temperatures last into the mid day now. None have prepared fire wood for any length of time. By now they should have at least of cord of wood cut and covered to stay dry.

Security none has stakes placed around their shelters. No bear alarms, no spears! What are they thinking?

Again I will submit suggestions to the show in 10 days. Post if you have any.
    i WANT all predators to come to my camp, so I can trap/kill them. Take a slingbow, with 3 pc, take down arrows, so that your projectile weapon can always be on your person. ASAP, make 3 baked clay 1 gallon cookpots with lids as well as 50 clay balls for use on small game. There is no need of a warming fire, cause it barely freezes on Vancouver Island. Learn to dry out debris with big hot rocks under a tarp laid on poles which you lay on the rocks. then use the debris to stuff a double layered tarp shelter. and the 5x10 "blanket" you make out of the 10x10 tarp. you dont need the sleeping bag or the ferrorod.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
    I was surprised when the guy who made the boat, guitar and best shelter just said "Well I'm done" and quit. He was eating well, sheltered well, had entertainment, he had everything going for him. I guess being alone for so long was too much for him.

I wonder how well I would do,....... I hate being around a lot of people but like being around a few.
    nobody did anything but STARVE for 5 seasons, In seasons 6 and 7, ONE person per season ate well, but only after first starving for 2-3 weeks, no clue how to get food without LUCK. Lucas was a fool. You can't be doing such stuff when you have no food. The alone part is bs. These guys are "survival instructors" and it looks REALLY bad for them when they can't even feed themselves. so they LIE about why they quit. Alan lost 60 lbs in 56 days. That means he fell short of his caloric needs by over 3000 calories per day!

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
    I spend a lot of time by myself but I am not alone. Nor am I entirely dependent upon myself for everything. So, while in long time survival and having no other place to go my mind set would be different than if I knew that if I really wanted to I could pick up a sat phone and someone would come to get me. So that said, I doubt that I would last more than a couple of nights. If someone was with me, even someone who could do nothing more than sit there and put sticks on the fire I would last a little longer. However given the choice I would not go. Meaning I have learned that that being completely alone and entirely by my self, dependent entirely on myself would not be an optional situation.

On another note after tonight's episode of an inside look at alone I recall Alan's not quite sarcastic remark about "abundant resources". They were put on the western side of the island, where the worst possible weather would be. Only one reference was made shown about hunting. Sam did manage to trap mice and one found a dead sea otter which he may or may not eaten.
    Had the producers waited until the end of the season when all furry mammals had retreated to the more sheltered side of the island? After the first couple of weeks it seemed even the predators had left the western shore. Were all remarks concerning small game edited out as to whether they were present or not? Maybe they did try to trap and mice were all that anyone managed to catch. And what did the bears, wolves and cougars eat? It was said the island had a large population of these.
    Were they restricted in how far they could move from their drop off point? Or was the food supply so limited that they did not dare try, were unable to gather enough or have the energy to move to a more sheltered part of the island?
    These men knew how to make fire and once they did figure out the way to do it in their situation the lack of hardwood made maintaining a fire even for a couple of hours was apparently impossible unless you were there to feed it.....
    Now I'm rambling like the guys in the show appear to do at times. Bed time for sure.
    it was not sam that found the otter, it was the "Native Survival" Yt guy. I forget his name. he went home cause his mom got sick. They are restricted to a 1.2 mile radius of their dropoff point, which is nothing. they have to film everything that they do, or get kicked off of the show. The two restrictions are horrific. you can easily keep a fire going 12 hours, if you know to bury some coals and charcoal in the ashes. and poke a "breathing hole' down to this set up. So, no, you dont need a lot of firewood. You dont need a warming fire if you know how to dry out wet debris with hot rocks and a tarp over same. and then use that debris as insulation.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    replied
    OK we had a two part special on the 2nd of August. The show will continue next week. They are down to 4 people. All are living on what they can get from the sea. None are trying to hunt and only one is trapping (Mice).

So we can see major mistakes being done by the whole group.

a) No hunting/trapping being done seriously.

b) two of the 4 are still cooking food inside their shelter. That smell invites local predators in from up to 3 miles away..

Of the 4 left the guy who had built his sleeping quarters in a cave will last the longest. He seems to stay warm does his cooking at another site and is not being bothered by local predators.

They do not seem to realize that winter is coming, storms are more often and last longer. Freezing temperatures last into the mid day now. None have prepared fire wood for any length of time. By now they should have at least of cord of wood cut and covered to stay dry.

Security none has stakes placed around their shelters. No bear alarms, no spears! What are they thinking?

Again I will submit suggestions to the show in 10 days. Post if you have any.
    there's zero reason to fear predators. For over 200 years now, any animal that's hurt a human has immediately been hunted down and killed. the rest are hunted for food/sport/elimination of pests/danger to livestock. They fear us mightily, with the exception of sharks and crocodilians, which dont really have a brain. You dont need a warming fire and you dont want to have to process all of that wood. What you need is knowledge of how to use insulation, to save all of that time and calories spent on firewood. Concentrate on making netting out of the cotton rope hammock, setting it as baited net traps, , with a seine to "chivvy" the fish into the traps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X