"I'm Going Up The Country"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm Going Up The Country"

I'm going to be driving from the Orlando area up to Upstate NY. I will be going to AAA to have them map out my route for me. If any of you have experience driving up the East Coast, and have suggestions on what I should avoid, I would greatly appreciate it. So does my dog Zailey, as she will have to listen to me cussing out the other drivers.

You could probably take I-95 for 90% of the trip, but I would try to avoid (or go around) the major metropolitan areas. No fun getting stuck in downtown traffic anywhere, anytime, especially when you are not sure of where you are going. Not to even mention how much it will slow you down. See what AAA recommends. I have always been pleased with their recommendations. They will know how to avoid the problem areas.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I know for sure that I want to avoid Washington DC. That's a given.

Comment

Amy, I do not envy you your trek along the east coast jungle! Just make sure (as I know you will) you not only have your usual survival (emergency) bag, and plenty of water but any equipment or other needed items to aid you with your mobility due to your recent foot operation. I would hate for you to not be prepared for something as mundane as a flat tire with a bum foot!
        Take care, have fun and keep us posted.

Comment

I've got an auto club membership incase of a flat tire. I'm getting my truck serviced tomorrow to check everything out. I drove alone from California to Florida. Atleast now I'll have Zailey with me. :)

Comment

We traveled around the country in the 70s on a small and durable car at a distance of about 4 thousand miles. The roads were bad, there were no motels.
            Overnight - right in the forest or near a river and a lake.
            In those years, such activities were very popular, because there was a low level of crime and people helped each other along the way if the car broke down.
            Now this is rare.
            ----------------
            I'm wondering how the problem is solved in America, if your car broke down in the forest, the phone does not work and you are not a repairman?

Comment

stay on the interstates - gas up and rest outside ANY of the metro areas ... if you have a gun making the trip - empty it and lock it up separate from the ammo - you got a handful of states there targeting people over their weapons carry ....

Comment

I-95 is the way we go when we travel the east coast. Stay safe and let us know how things are going when you get there.

Comment

AAA mapped my trip for me today....taking the scenic, mountain route....leaving tomorrow

Comment

Have a great trip and stay safe. Let us hear about your trip when you get back.

Comment

If he has the range he will target DC to NYC.

My thoughts are go west by north from Florida to: Ohio, Michigan, NE Tenn., even Indiana. Less population and not a critical target.

Comment

Have a safe trip. That is a beautiful part of the country. Hope you enjoy yourself, and let us know how everything goes. Prayers are with you.

Am I the only one who thinks of Canned Heat when you see this post. I guess I am dating myself.
                        Morgan101
                        Valued Member
                        Last edited by Morgan101; 07-11-2017, 09:58 AM.
                        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Stay off of I95. Take I75 to Atlanta and follow it up thru Virginia. You will have to hit 95 and go thru DC. Then go up thru Pennsylvania into New York, When I retired from the NAVY I left CT. come across on 84 then to 80?/83 and turned south. Better scenery and easier driving. Forgive me for not remembering all the interstates I have been retired for 21 yrs. And haven't left Georgia but twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                            Have a safe trip. That is a beautiful part of the country. Hope you enjoy yourself, and let us know how everything goes. Prayers are with you.

Am I the only one who thinks of Canned Heat when you see this post. I guess I am dating myself.
                            It is indeed Canned Heat...... :)

Comment

Made it three days ago, no problem. Virginia and Pennsylvania are beautiful. I'm in a small town out in the country in Upstate NY. Lots of farms. Rolling green hills. Very peaceful. Only 9000 people here.

I've moved here with Zailey. I think it will be better for both of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X