Hummer Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hummer Fun

1 min video times out before it uploads.
    ZAGran
    Valued Member
    Last edited by ZAGran; 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM.

The above was to be a video of my humming birds. I have quite a flock 12-14 or perhaps more, they aren't easy to count.
    Thursday (21st) as I was refilling one of my feeders I had at hand about a qt. of water filtered through my Berkey black filter, so I used it. After about 4 hours the birds were not going to any of the feeders unless they had to because of the crowd around the Berkey water feeder. It was the prime location so when refill time came (36 hrs later cause they really mobbed it), I put it in the least desirable location where the birds seldom went. The next day they were again flocking around that one feeder. Again refill in about 36 hours. By this time it was time to refill another feeder as well because of the time the sugar water had been in the feeder was to long, so I swapped. Tap water for the aforementioned empty feeder and Berkey filtered water in the emptied feeder. Again in less than 4 hours they were all flocking around the feeder with Berkey filtered water. Tells you something doesn't it?
    I gave up and now all three feeders have nectar made with Berkey water. Just lets me rotate my stored water faster, and please my feathered humming friends, and enjoy their antics!

Comment

Ha ha! A Hummer means a big 'ole 4x4 to me. BTW.. My wife loves hummingbirds, I need to refill my feeder. :)

-Buggy
      I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

That was the fun part of the idea. I do wish I could post my humming bird video!

Comment

Gran,

I wish you could post it too. Me and the misses love to feed and watch them. We have 3 feeders out now but have noticed that a number of the adults have already migrated away. When I worked at Tamarac NWR, we feed them at the visitor center and one day in July I counted 21 at the feeder. LOL, the needed an air traffic controller. One of God's most beautiful creatures.

Dale

Comment

I also have one hanging outside my office window. the yellow jackets land on it and chase the hummingbirds away. Hubby goes out and swats the bees and if he keeps it up, he is going to get stung. How do you keep the bees off the feeder?

Comment

I do not have a problem with yellow jackets (the wasp) but I do have honey bees and red wasps. Yellow jackets live in my woods, but I have never seen them at the feeders. Most wasp (like my red wasp and your yellow jackets) mostly eat spiders and other insects. Bees on the other hand like sugar water as much as humming birds. So to keep wasp away from the feeders I do a spider web wipe every couple of days. I have to, otherwise you couldn't get in my front door without going through one. And if bees start coming to the feeders I change my ratio of sugar to water.
              I usually feed a nectar of 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water (4 to 1) If the bees show up en-mass I change to 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 1/4 cup of water (5 to 1). The hummers still like it but for some reason the bees tend to leave it alone (mostly).
              Another thing that works is to hang a piece of fruit, like apple, pear or peach that has been half peeled (I peel mine in strips) on a tree 10-20 feet away from the feeder. This attracts gnats, fruit flies, midges and other like small insects, the more rotten the more it attracts which in turn attracts spiders and thus wasps and keeps them away from your feeders. I have also read (but not tried) that chunks of meat hung the same will attract the wasps of any kind, yellow jackets included, and keep them away from the feeders.
              FYI humming birds eat gnats, fruit flies and midges as well as nectar. So you can kill 2 birds with one stone with the fruit bit.
              Also, you must keep feeders as clean as you would your own dishes with an added rinse or two or the birds can die from minute traces of mold.
              ZAGran
              Valued Member
              Last edited by ZAGran; 08-31-2014, 12:03 AM. Reason: I do't spell very well

Comment

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change in what yellow jackets are eating. Used to be in WV, they only ate from carrion, rotting fruit (especially apples), and other insects. three years ago, I had an entire crop of raspberries and blackberries destroyed/eaten by yellowjackets. My county Ag. agent said he had never seen or heard of anything like it. They were eating the fruit before it even became fully ripe. Still see them eating on wild blackberries. Anywhere else seeing this?

Dale

Comment

The odd thing I've seen is the red wasps and grasshoppers eating holes in my window screens. Not the metal kind, the fiberglass ones. I've replaced 2 this year (with metal) and need a third replaced but will wait for cooler weather when I can open the windows again. I don't know what has attracted them to the screens unless it is some sort of residue or scent left by another insect crawling on the screen. But aren't grasshoppers vegetarians?

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                    The odd thing I've seen is the red wasps and grasshoppers eating holes in my window screens. Not the metal kind, the fiberglass ones. I've replaced 2 this year (with metal) and need a third replaced but will wait for cooler weather when I can open the windows again. I don't know what has attracted them to the screens unless it is some sort of residue or scent left by another insect crawling on the screen. But aren't grasshoppers vegetarians?
                    Gran,

That is absolutely STRANGE! Grasshoppers are vegetarians but regardless, they shouldn't be able to eat fiberglass. Are these regular grasshoppers or large locust? I've kept grasshoppers and crickets in fiberglass screen cages for fishing bait before and never saw one even trying to eat there way through the fiberglass. Could pop or juice have gotten on the screens? I think you've got one for the books with that. WOW! Good luck with those.

Dale

Comment

ZAGran, I will try what you said and hope this will get the bees away from the feeder. it is time to change it out now anyway as I never leave it more than 2 or 3 days before changing the water. I have some fruit here so I will put some out in a different place for the bees in hopes to draw them away from the feeder.

Comment

I got it on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=324401197722182

So I've shot op sec.

Comment

Just to bring you up to date................ Over the past week the humming birds have been migrating to the south. The majority left over a period of 2 days (20th-21st) and today only 2 are left. Per humming bird feeding protocol I will keep my feeders out for two weeks after I no longer see one. only putting a small amount out (about 1/4 cup) and changing it ever 4th day. I do get stop overs from those from further north.

Comment

2016 update on hummers. 30 to 40 humming birds at my feeders according to the amount they eat. They go through 2 quarts a day right now. They always gang in after the hay is baled and no wild flowers in the pasture to feed on, although they are steady through out the summer. Love having them from the middle of April to October.

Comment

So that's where all the humming birds went. LOL. We have our feeders out in the same place and not one humming bird this year. We had to take out to dog wood trees that died and the third one is dying as well. That might be part of the problem. Next year I am going to try a new location.

Comment

Working...
                              X