Help!!!! Limited Sunlight Need To Grow Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!! Limited Sunlight Need To Grow Garden

We moved from a farm in Maine with tons of sunlight to a small log cabin in New Hampshire with limited/filtered sunlight for several hours a day. I was able to grow things really well in Maine but am open to those of you who may have some ideas for the crops that would survive the best in these conditions. Not looking to do anything huge. Maybe a 20x20. We only have one acre now vs. 98 and the perimeter is surrounded with trees my husband does NOT want to cut down. I could use large pots to grow pole beans and tomatos as there is sun right next to the cabin almost all day. The ground is quite acid but I can get that straightened out. Thankfully one of the neighbors has cattle so yay!!! super fertilizer to go with the lime and whatever else I choose to stuff in.

Protected by a .357 magnum three days a week, you guess which three!

Because of your northern location; You will need seed of plants that have a very short growing season, like what they use in Alaska.

When possible build a green house to extend your growing season. Have your soil checked by your county AG agent; they will tell you what can grow there, and give you ideas what is needed to be added to your soil.

Comment

Thank you Richfl. I have started putting things into motion with the garden. More to do before I actually plant but at least on the way. I have converted the entire flower bed in front of our cabin to a vegetable bed instead of flowers. It was a pain in the butt as I didn't want to kill the irises that had been there for who knows how long. The plan is to put pole beans between the windows and tomatoes underneath each window. Can't eat flowers, well...not to many anyway. The yard here is going to look like a confused gardener went on the rampage but it should yield a decent crop. The soil is really high acid so balancing it will take a little work but I am confident success will be the end result. I am accustomed to the climate as we had lived only 110 miles further north from this location from 1959 until 2012. LOL I was only 3 in 1959 but had garden duty anyway. Healthy thing for kids to learn. Two plants of two different types of blueberry bushes will be in shortly and I don't anticipate much from them for at least a couple of years but the soil is ideal for them. What do you think of blackberry bushes in the environment I have described? Thinking about that too.

Comment

Lioness, I know you said hubby doesn't want to cut any of the trees, any way you get him to try trimming branches with a pole saw to let in a little more light? And maybe just one or 2 trees removed will open up the canopy?

Rich makes a good point on the green house idea. you can build a fairly cheap one with PVC pipe bent in bows and covered with clear plastic sheeting. Can roll it up during the day to get max sun and warmth and roll it down at night to help keep in the heat.
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Has anyone ever tried using the grow lights for plants. I am thinking about looking for some to use in garage to start seeds from in the early spring till ready to replant in garden. Just wondering if the grow lights would help the seedlings to grow any stronger.

Comment

can't imagine why you can't trim off the branches overhanging the garden ....

Comment

Grow lights have to be on 24/7 and your electrical bill will go sky high. You also might get a visit from your local police department to ensure your not growing pot!

Comment

Well I thought it would be a great way to jump start tomato and green pepper seedlings for the spring planting but maybe not. We always start them on a table in the garage from seeds and then transplant them to garden when ready to replant but guess we will just keep doing it the way we have been.

Comment

Was looking at a seed catalog at market where hubby cooks collards for them. They have small seed starter kits with the grow light for them. They are good for starting seeds early in doors. The lights are not that large and made just for garden seeds. I might try one of those to get an early start on peppers and tomatoes. It says you only need to keep the light on during day. So that might not be to bad. It is good for about 24 to 36 cups to hold the soil and seed.

Comment

Working...
                  X