Watermelon HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watermelon HELP!

Once again I have grown watermelon and not gotten to enjoy the fruit. How do you know when watermelons are ready to be picked. I seem to either pick them to early or not soon enough. HELP!
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Haha! We always "thumped" them! NOW.... It would be hard to explain this sound as I had NO clue what it was growing up. They all sounded alike to ME! lol

Nice to see you back, Bro!

-Buggy
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
      Haha! We always "thumped" them! NOW.... It would be hard to explain this sound as I had NO clue what it was growing up. They all sounded alike to ME! lol

Nice to see you back, Bro!

-Buggy
      Good to be back. I've tried thumping them but I'm the one mostly getting thumped. Got ONE melon this year that was perfect (not to mention delicious) and all the rest were either not ripe or to far gone. It's a challenge now, so I'll probably die still trying to get them right. LOL!
      Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

OK most watermelon need a minimum of 75 days from the day of planting the seeds till you are ready to pick the fruit. You should have between 75-80 days to pick the fruit. Look at the hull of the watermelon is it the same color all over. Thump the hull does it sound different then the others? Pick and cut one open then taste the fruit. That is the only way to be sure.

Comment

You can watch the curly cue on the end when it is dried the melon should be ready to pick. Look at the under side of melon if it pale color and look a bit scratched up then it is read to eat. Hi Dale

Comment

Never grew watermelon. Don't have enough garden space. Wish I could be of some help.
            Glad you are back. We missed you.

Comment

Dale are you living in the southern states? Because here in Florida watermelon is known as a cash crop. You can get it to grow almost any where.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                Dale are you living in the southern states? Because here in Florida watermelon is known as a cash crop. You can get it to grow almost any where.
                Rich, I'm in the heart of West Virginia at about 2500 ft elevation. Spring usually comes late and fall comes early. Doesn't stop me from trying. Almost time to build that new greenhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                  Never grew watermelon. Don't have enough garden space. Wish I could be of some help.
                  Glad you are back. We missed you.
                  AJ, Good to be back. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rabunmom View Post
                    You can watch the curly cue on the end when it is dried the melon should be ready to pick. Look at the under side of melon if it pale color and look a bit scratched up then it is read to eat. Hi Dale
                    Thanks mom, I'll try that!

Comment

Working...
                    X