Views:	1
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	188230

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160220_132954699.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	188231

I have lettuce, kale, and spinach coming up.
    If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

Last year I started buying up the part I would need to build an aquaponics system to go with my hydroponics garden. This spring I have it up and running.

Here is a link to my aquaponic system. The fish should arrive this Friday.

Comment

VERY cool Mang! I can't wait to see the pics!

-Buggy
        I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
          VERY cool Mang! I can't wait to see the pics!

-Buggy
          Does the link not work? Are you unable to view the photos I posted?

Here is the link again.

And here are the fish.

Comment

Got some more of my plants in. Not sure how I got so far behind. I had stated planning to get an early start this year and due to weather(cold then rainy) ruining my ability to get out and work on the weekends when I'm home I'm far behind. So far I've got in the tomatoes, cabbage, cukes, squash, peppers, onions. lettuce, spinach, radishes and carrots seeded but only radishes and a few lettuce have popped up. I still need to get in a couple watermelon & cantaloupe plants and one sweet potatoe I'm going to try to do in a big grow bag. I have some more of those tasty sun sugar tomatoes I'm going to put in grow bags for on our deck. Might try a planter for more lettuce, some beets and maybe a few carrots. Might try it as an intense planted grow bag. Also still trying to figure where or how to get in some beans and peas. I need to find somewhere to get some more sawdust to make up more soil for my Mittleider grow boxes and what I'm using in the grow bags. After such bumper crops last year I was very happy with the ease, simplicity, production and taste of the food.

How's is everyone else doing?
            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Here is an update on the aquaponics.

https://goo.gl/photos/WotzJKiZUUWVivqeA

Comment

We have had so much rain that now our green pepper plants are not looking as good as they were. To much water. Although they are planted on a hill, we have had about 3 inches of rain over a two day period. Would putting straw or something of that nature help protect them a little better. We have a chance of rain now everyday do to the heat.

Comment

AJ, Wish we had some of that rain. Only decent amount we've gotten in weeks was the eve of the 4th and then maybe a 1/2".

Depending on how much rain is coming down the hill at them maybe you could dig a small trench about a foot from the plants and maybe 2 or 3 inch deep. think a very flat smiley face to help direct the water out and around them. Not sure on the straw but I'm thinking that might hold in a lot of the moisture and then could lead to mildew, mold or root rot issues as it would help hold in a lot of moisture? Wish could be more help.

Comment

Thanks countryGuy. We got another inch of rain last night and getting ready to have more. It is thundering now. We did dig a trench in hopes it will help. Had to put seven dust on them as well because of all the rain something is now eating at the plants. We don't have peppers yet and I don't like using seven dust or anything on them but this time we had no choice. Looking like we could loose a couple of plants but we will see now that we are trying to get some of the rain away from them. We have a bumper crop of tomatoes. And I wish we could send you some of this rain.

Comment

I cleaned out the hydroponic garden two weekends ago. The result is, I don't have enough filtration for the fish water anymore.

So, I built a slow sand filter using an IBC tote. Now I have enough filtration capacity to go all winter. Here is a video of the filter in operation.

https://youtu.be/9ETigFVBuOE

Here is a video while the filter was filling with water and before I replaced the insulating panels.

https://youtu.be/AAkN_4alxAw

Comment

This looks really good. Keep us updated through out the cooler weather.

Comment

Very cool Mangler. So how cold does your garage get in winter? You mentioned having a heater in the tank with the fish, do you have to run that constant thru winter or does it cycle on and off on a thermostat? Kind of wondering how much energy this would eat up with the pumps and heaters.

Your set up is inspiring me and has my wheels turning on if I could put a set up in my walk out basement where temps would be a bit warmer and stable than my unheated garage. Of course that also means it would be cooler thru the summer so maybe I'd have to go to something like bluegills? Wondering if cat fish or bass could work?

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

My garage will have heat this year for the first time. In the past, the garage would only stay about 10 degrees warmer than the outside air. So, at -20F outside the garage is only -10 to maybe 0.

Last spring I put in a 45,000 BTU ceiling mounted propane heater. My bride and I are both looking forward to leaving for work in warm cars this winter. I am not including the cost of heating the garage in the cost of operating the aquaponics.

The aquaponic system only draws 57 Watts of power for the two aerator pumps, two circulating pumps, and the LED light. In addition, I have one 400 Watt and two 200 Watt aquarium heaters, and one 3AMP sump pump for the slow sand filter. Once the mass of the system came up to temperature the heaters do not run very often. When everything is on at the same time it only uses 1010 Watts.

The sump pump for the slow sand filter only cycles once every 90 minutes for 30 seconds.

I have been tracking my Wattage since the start of operations back in April. I am averaging $7 per month at 10 cents a KWH.

Comment

Working...
                            X