No announcement yet.

Getting Started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is interested, a guy I know in Silverton, Oregon is selling his commercial tilapia and hydroponics greenhouses. Not sure if they stay on site or they need to be picked up and moved. I don't know what happened, but something extreme to make him sell out. I think his business is called NW Tilapia, and he was the early tilapia growers in the Northwest, if not the States. I saw the ad on CL the other day.

Cedar

Comment

Originally posted by Mangler View Post
      Fish Farm Update: All the fish are dead.

I was gone last week to a seminar in Michigan for five days. As best as I can tell, sometime early Monday morning or late Monday night something tripped the GFCI outlet. The 75 lbs of fish in 250 gallons of water quickly turned the water toxic. By Thursday when my wife checked on the fish, they were all belly up.

Lesson learned:

1. Put an alarm of some kind on your system. I was actually at a seminar covering how to do just that when this happened.
      2. Involve your spouse in your hobbies. I should have shown her what to look for and how to re-start essentials systems.

Such a waste of good food.
      Mangler,
      Any updates on your system after the die off you had? Also, seeing u'r up north to do a system like this or a modified one using wicking grow beds does i have to be inside or could i get away with an outside system. Say when it starts getting cold drain the pipes and wrap the outside of the tanks in insulation or hay bales to keep from freezing solid? also thought maybe I could add something like a stock tank immersion heater that would kick on if water drops to 40. I do have the potential to bury the tanks say 1/2 to 3/4 deep into the one spot in my yard.

All theory and maybe I'm way off. My garage is taken up so only indoor place i have to do it would be my basement and not sure I want that much moisture there, especially in summer months. Winter we can use the humidity.
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Fish Farm Update:

Last summer's gardening was a complete bust. After the fish died I built a caterpillar tunnel so I would have some in-ground garden space. Well, about a week later a wind storm blew that down. I took it as a sign to "leave the ground fallow" and rest for a season. I didn't do any gardening or raising fish.

I thought a lot about what I had built and how it worked. I considered the processes and recognized a few changes could be made. One issue is that I don't have running water or floor drains in the garage so I had to bucket all the fresh water in and all the wastewater out during the winter. That got a little sketchy carrying two five gallon buckets of wastewater over snow and ice. And oh my does fish wastewater stink.

Then I also realized the fish grow so fast that I really didn't need to over-winter them. The wastewater produced during the winter was just that, wasted. It is the wastewater that is the primary benefit of raising fish. The fish grow fast enough that I could have harvested the fish before winter.

My original design had both main tanks at the same height and my sediment tanks lower than the fish tank. This required several pumps to circulate the water between the sand filter, fish, and sediment tanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FishTank.jpg Views:	1 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	212182Click image for larger version  Name:	SedminentTanks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	212183

So, I disassembled the whole system, dug out the 2 ton sand filter, and moved it all outside into the lean-to. Next spring I will rebuild and have the fish tank 18 inches above the height of the sand filter with the cone-bottom tank between the two. I can eliminate the two smallest sediment tanks entirely. Then I can use one pump to circulate the clean water from the sand filter up to the fish tank. The fish tank will overflow into the cone-bottom tank, so I can remove the waste solids. Then the cone-bottom tank will overflow into the sand filter and the water cycle starts over.

I also have decided to only raise the fish from April to December, give or take a couple weeks depending on weather. I can't circulate the wastewater out to the hydroponics after the air temps get cold because it chills the fish tanks so much the heaters run constantly. Besides, the garden is done after the first frost anyway.

I am also going to try raising Yellow Perch, which are not tropical. The nearby Red Cliff Indian Reservation has a fish hatchery that has developed a Yellow Perch that will feed on commercial fish food pellets. Normally they require a feeder fish, which means you end up raising two kinds of fish. One to feed the other and double the costs.

I also plan to convert the whole system to run on 12V DC connected to solar panels. I will have AC as a backup, but with Yellow Perch I won't need to maintain 78 degree water temps.

Overall, I am very satisfied with what I achieved. When the system was running it was effortless in the summer and minimal in the winter to operate. I just checked yesterday and Tilapia was selling for $9.99/lb in our grocery store. I may not be beating those prices, but I can have fresh fish from a very clean source for almost the same cost, plus I can raise great veggies all summer with the wastewater.

Well, that's the plan for now. I'll post again when I get started.
        Last edited by Mangler; 12-23-2017, 10:09 AM.
        If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

Mangler, have you considered a geodesic dome greenhouse. Even a small 12 footer would allow you the ability to grow all year with minimal heat due to the ability of using your water as a heat sink. Just a thought.

Dale

Comment

This can be a great start for anyone that has no room to grow a regular garden.
            Anyone that knows how to do this we would love to hear from you about it. Manglar did a great job on his, but some sound advice and great instruction on getting started would be great.

Comment

Working...
            X