Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanl stills

Thought these might be useful for some.

So many uses in a SHTF scenario, but only if there already built. (Yes theyr'e legal)

Thanks Dale. Would you happen to have a link for the source .... this print is pretty dang tiny.

O.W.
    Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
      Thanks Dale. Would you happen to have a link for the source .... this print is pretty dang tiny.

O.W.
      O.W. The drawings came from this site. http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/meToC.html

Sorry, I can't remember exactly which article they came from. The Mother Earth Alcohol fuels book also has some excellent plans.

Dale

Comment

Great info!

Comment

My son-in law wants to make one of these but above my head. what could they be used for in survivil situations?
          Applejack

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
            My son-in law wants to make one of these but above my head. what could they be used for in survivil situations?
            Applejack
            Applejack, Ethanol can be used for running engines (straight or mixed with gasoline), tincturing medicines, medical uses and of course trade. Alcohol has been used for trade for as long as its existed. Ethanol is also know as moonshine, age it and it's whiskey. Please check out the above website for more info.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
              Applejack, Ethanol can be used for running engines (straight or mixed with gasoline), tincturing medicines, medical uses and of course trade. Alcohol has been used for trade for as long as its existed. Ethanol is also know as moonshine, age it and it's whiskey. Please check out the above website for more info.

Dale
              thanks, i will go to the sight and let my son-in-law know of this site as he really does want to make one.
              Applejack

Comment

I built a still to recover the methanol from my Biodiesel process. Keep in mind the heat source you use, the vapors are highly flamable. I use a jacketed stainless tank with hot water running around it to heat up the methanol to 158 degrees were it turns to a vapor. I then have a heat exchanger which is a heater core with a fan blowing air thru it to cool the vapor running thru it to a liquid which drains to a tank. You can also use a sealed vacuum pump to speed up the process. This system has many uses.

Comment

Great idea for safer methanol recovery.
                  uh however its still very ilegal to run a still without correct permitting. Easier than it used to be but still required.
                  Dutch

Comment

If you're thinking of post-SHTF Ethanol distillation, be sure to have the correct thermometer and hydrometer available. Remember the methanol mostly comes off first, but only a very few degrees cooler than the non-lethal ethanol. Also, these temperatures do vary slightly with atmospheric pressure. Due care, please ??

Comment

Working...
                    X