Home Solar Evil Alien Planet No Understanding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
    OKAY! Got some great news! I close on the house friday and did a walkthrough today. The current owner spent $190 on his electrical bill....FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR!

Yeah for SOLAR!

Also, you just turn it on, the system does all the work for you. I can handle that!

-Buggy
    I have a solar system myself that powers my entire home and provides enough energy for everything I have running and then some. Three computers always on, two refrigerators, two freezers, a sump pump, dehumidifier, my welder, plasma cutter, air compressor, and everything else. The solar provides 100% of all my energy and I still have some left over for the power company.

The system is maintenance free beyond having to clean snow off it occasionally. I installed it myself for $13k and it will pay for itself within 4.9 years.

If you have questions, I know pretty much all there is to know about them. I'm also an Electrical Engineer by education.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post

I have a solar system myself that powers my entire home and provides enough energy for everything I have running and then some. Three computers always on, two refrigerators, two freezers, a sump pump, dehumidifier, my welder, plasma cutter, air compressor, and everything else. The solar provides 100% of all my energy and I still have some left over for the power company.

The system is maintenance free beyond having to clean snow off it occasionally. I installed it myself for $13k and it will pay for itself within 4.9 years.

If you have questions, I know pretty much all there is to know about them. I'm also an Electrical Engineer by education.
      Very cool. Out of curiosity, how many panels total did it take you to fully cover your needs? Does your system have a battery bank and grid tie?
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

Very cool. Out of curiosity, how many panels total did it take you to fully cover your needs? Does your system have a battery bank and grid tie?
        I have 28 SolarWorld SW270 panels for a total of 7.56kW solar generation that are over-driving an SMA SunnyBoy 6.0kW grid tie inverter. We are hooked up net metering with the utility but no money changes hands.. I give them a kW, they have to give me back a kW..
        My system is a ground mount and occupies a space 40 feet long by 14 feet wide. Its elevated off the ground to keep it away from the mower kicking up rocks.. I can store things under it or even put a picnic table in there if I wanted.

I do have another 20 identical panels (5400 watts) in the basement as well as a Radian 8048 inverter/charger in case I ever need to go fully off-grid.. all stored in a Faraday cage, snug as a bug.

If we ever had a long term grid down SHTF event, I could go get some batteries and have the entire system switched over within a few days.

Batteries suck.. they're expensive and they're on a self-destruct countdown timer from the day they are manufactured..

For short term power outages, we just hook up our portable generator to the natural gas line.. runs better on natural gas than it does on regular gasoline. I'm in a rural area with big properties averaging 10 to 40 acres so we lose power 3 times a year for three to five days each time.

The SMA inverter on the solar system also has a unique feature called "Secure Power Supply".. its an isolated stand-alone circuit that will give me up to 2000 watts even if the grid is down.

Comment

Love seeing everyone's systems. Still an area where I'm falling short but still in the long term plans.

Dale
          Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Working...
          X