Looking for alternative energy resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for alternative energy resources

I would like to start obtaining energy from alternative resources so I can get off the grid

Welcome. Try looking in the OFF GRID forum and the DIY forum. This is where most of the discussion about alternative energy is.

Comment

It all depends on where you live. I can guess you have a rural area (Farm land) with a minimum of 10 acres. That is a minimu for most of the below listed projects.

You have the following possibilities:

Wind power mills (if wind is a minimum of 12 mph average per month)

Water power mills (flowing down hill - minimum of 1000 cu ft per hour)

Underground gas (needs to be tapped)

Underground oil (needs to be tapped)

Solar panels with batteries (total set up for 2000 sg ft house about 25,000)

Thermal built using underground piping

Steam Thermal (needs to be tapped)

Comment

If you only have a small stream available you might want to check out a micro-hydro generator.
        Here is some good info: http://fivegallonideas.com/hydroelectric-generator/ on building your own system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroelectric-power.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	187835

Good luck.

Dale

Comment

Every thing I mentioned above will need to be cleared by your local county. They have the requirements placed down into law as to what you can and cannot do.

Water - People down stream has as much right to the water as you do. Make sure your property has water rights. Again check with your county.

Wind - your problems are height (How tall need you build your wind mill, and the sound it makes. The harmonics can cause you medical problems.

Steam thermo - again you need permission to build a generator on your property.

Oil and gas - you need some one to drill for it. If you hit, your rich and get free oil/gas delivered to your home.

Solar - it's all about watts. How many do you need each do to run your normal appliance/lights, will determine cost of batteries, panels, and inverters. Once in it should last 25+ years.

Thermo - use it if you are planning to build a new house. It will give you free hot/cold air for as long as you know the house.

Comment

AltE & ccrane are my two choices. We probably have some quality sponsors here as well.
            I'm living your dreams!

Comment

dalewick great web site. Put it on my favorites. So much useful info.

Comment

browsing through the old threads and thought this one might be good to bring back up. The rocket stove mass heater can be installed in a new house or added to an existing house. The burn efficiency is very high, producing significant heat with minor emissions. Plus it's something that can be home made depending on skill levels. https://lewisbatterham.wordpress.com...rocket-stoves/. explore and see other types and setups.
                Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

It is time to take another look at SOLAR. Photovoltaic panels have come down in price to about $1 per Kilowatt. Also, grid-tie electronics now allow a homeowner to affordably put electricity onto the grid. Even in states where Net Metering is not allowed, a homeowner can at least reduce their bill to zero.

Solar hot water is still the most effective use of solar and has the best payback. Solar hot water systems provide a means to store energy at a much lower cost than batteries. The heat stored can be used for both space heating and hot domestic water needs. Solar hot water can be connected to existing hot water system.

What are people using for SOLAR?
                  If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

solar has potential, and I have 2 large panels that are set up in a portable system to recharge a power pack. Located in Michigan......not sure if it's really economically viable, considering the scarcity of sun at times, for a large scale system for your house.
                    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Working...
                    X