Announcement

Collapse

Survival Warehouse

Please check out our Sponsor Survival Warehouse!

They are dedicated and devoted to providing the best Survival & Preparedness Gear available. They have been around for decades and really excel in the Long Term Food Storage Category.

See more
See less

Last night, 04/17/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night, 04/17/12

This show isn't doing anybody any favors....One guy eating dogfood and setting off pipe bombs. You know that ATF will be investigating him and he'll be making the news soon & making us all out to be nuts. Then there was the furniture repair guy who seemed to be borderline OCD. It's important to be prepped for safty after some type of event "whether it's local or global) but I think it's also important to realize that we have a life to lead in the 'here and now'.

Originally posted by JimC View Post
    This show isn't doing anybody any favors....
    I don't have TV .... From what I've read of these type shows, their intent is to ridicule the folks that are taking measures to become self sufficient. Imbeciles often make for mediocre entertainment .... and entertainment is ALL this is.

O.W.
    Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

I have always said that this show was meant to make us all look like nuts .
      Robert W
      Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You are so right Jimc. Why would you put your self out there to be thought of as a nut. Its a total diservice to those that are trying to secure their future and protect the family. red girl

Comment

Originally posted by red girl View Post
          You are so right Jimc .... red girl
          Welcome to the forum Red Girl.

O.W.

Comment

The first step in moving a "fringe" group into a different context is to label them. Set up a general perception of anyone with that label. Prepper. Survivalist. Militia. Domestic Terrorist.
            It's a process. Anytime you have a large body of people with a known label, they become known by the most extreme or outspoken members. Once the public has a strong sense of us as a singlular organism, (preppers) then at some point some unbalanced misguided person will do something outlandish, (like forcing their kids to eat bugs???)
            and we will all be made to look dangerous.
            It's the same way that individual events are being used to push other agendas, like a shooting in Florida being used to push an anti-gun sentiment.
            "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Because of the bad impression given by these in programs in the Discovery Channel and how they portray preppers, I've found myself needing to almost eliminate the 'prepping' topic from all conversations with friends and family. It was becoming a subject of frequent jokes and borderline ridicule. So, publicly, I published yesterday - on my private blog - that I was prepping no more. Privately and personally, I will continue to learn from all of you guys and gals, prepping in the privacy of my own basement, and contribute on what I can, as usual.
              "Go out on a limb... That's where the fruits are!" -Will Rogers

Comment

I have learned to qualify what I do as Hurricane preparedness. It goes down pretty easily for an area that has been ravaged by storms year after year.
                "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I tell people it's food insurance when it comes to my food supplies. After the huge down turn we had, the economy still in shambles, gas prices sky rocketing & the possibility of being unemployed most then think it's not a bad idea. As for my other preps I don't talk too much about them, except for ammo cause they all know I like to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneckwop View Post
                    I tell people it's food insurance when it comes to my food supplies. After the huge down turn we had, the economy still in shambles, gas prices sky rocketing & the possibility of being unemployed most then think it's not a bad idea. As for my other preps I don't talk too much about them, except for ammo cause they all know I like to shoot.
                    I too try to keep my prepping to myself . Very few people know what I am doing that live in my area unless they are prepping too .
                    Robert W
                    Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by makerofgirls View Post
                      .... It was becoming a subject of frequent jokes and borderline ridicule.
                      I don't tell anyone anything. On rare occasion, should the topic of calamities of any sort come up I will offer my opinion on the matter but no personal details.

We live in Amerika, nothing could possibly go wrong here that someone else won't come and fix for us .... it's our right .... right?

O.W.

Comment

I prefer to blend in, hide in plain site, keep a low profile and keep my own counsul. When the SHTF I'll be ready.
                        The way that you waunder is the way that you choose, the day that you tarry is the day that you lose.

Comment

With the exception of this forum I really don't talk to people about prepping except family and a very few select friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
                            With the exception of this forum I really don't talk to people about prepping except family and a very few select friends.
                            I'm surprised at the people that publicly identify everything they are doing to prepare; might just as well put a bullseye on your door as a "resource rich target". Even forums like this, it's okay to share experience but not much else. There is just too much info to be "mined" from the net, that can be linked back to specific individuals. FB is dang near a wet dream for criminals and intelligence agencies, due to all the personal info that people list there.
                            Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Maye we'll get to see someone else blow their digits off.

Comment

Working...
                              X