Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would anyone agree to be on this show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would anyone agree to be on this show?

Hi guys new to the site and I have watched doomsday preppers and have had one overbearing question come up each time I watch it. Why would anyone agree to be on this show and show all their cards to the world? I mean isnt part of the entire preparing attitude to keep it on the down low so if things do go south you have the advantage of people not knowing? I am boggled by this mentality and why people agree to be on this show. Maybe some of you on the site can enlighten me. Is there some monetary compensation that makes it worth showing off your cache of survival toys? /boggled.

Morning onmyown; They couldn't pay me enough to go on that show. That said we watch it never can tell where a good idea will come from. I did have a problem with the lady up in New England somewhere that was sure her vast store of food was going to be safe with no weapons. Don't think she realizes when SHTF the milk of human kindness is not going to apply to those that are not prepared. That said we chose not to let people know whats in our bag of tricks. We don't mind sharing here among "friends" but to go on TV is nuts in my opinion.

Comment

I associate with a group near my area, a few weeks ago they wanted volunteers for a new show highlighting beginning preppers. I suggested everyone steer clear. To make entertainment they will show the most inflammatory side of any issue. Look at episode 1 where they kept replayi.g the girl saying "bullets, lots and lots of bullets"granted. Whether I agree with her or not about ammo, just putting out there with no explanation sounds so extremist.
      "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I dont remember where I read it at but I saw on a forum somone said they were interviedwe to be on the show and decided against it . Anyway they said that if they were on the show they would be paid 30 k and they also said that if they changed their minds that they would be paid 50 k to be on the upcoming season .
        Robert W
        Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That is a big chunk of change and could definitely get someone started out on a healthy track for preparing for SHTF but I am still under the overbearing feeling that by doing this your going to put yourself and family and friends at risk. I could see maybe taking another angle at it and agreeing to be on the show without showing face or outdoor areas of where you are holding up.

Comment

Originally posted by onmyown View Post
            That is a big chunk of change and could definitely get someone started out on a healthy track for preparing for SHTF but I am still under the overbearing feeling that by doing this your going to put yourself and family and friends at risk. I could see maybe taking another angle at it and agreeing to be on the show without showing face or outdoor areas of where you are holding up.
            I would only agree to it if I had plains to build a hide away and needed the money to do it . Something that no one knows about .
            Robert W
            Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hmmmmm. It would almost be worth it to rent a ratty apartment for a month... Move a butt load of preps into it. Hang a "Home Sweet Home" sign over the door, do the show, collect the cash and then move back to the permanent location.
              The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Comment

I wouldn't go on that show either, no matter how much money they pay. It's asking for trouble. Just showing off your supplies like that? No way! I don't even talk about my stuff with other people.
                And it's not only the people on this show, what about "Extreme Couponing"? They're showing their massive amount of food and other things not even realizing that if SHTF, people will show up for their stuff. They better watch out.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetdiggity View Post
                  I wouldn't go on that show either, no matter how much money they pay. It's asking for trouble. Just showing off your supplies like that? No way! I don't even talk about my stuff with other people.
                  And it's not only the people on this show, what about "Extreme Couponing"? They're showing their massive amount of food and other things not even realizing that if SHTF, people will show up for their stuff. They better watch out.
                  I would not want to be on any show for any reason . Come to think of it I have been married 4 times maybe the jerry springer show .
                  Robert W

Comment

I'd go on the show for 30K (in a heart beat!) and just make stuff up to make it a good episode. Maybe I'd get called back for another 30K? Anyway, I wouldn't say or show anything that compromise me or mine in any way.

It's just TV folks!

Comment

Originally posted by countryboy6685 View Post
                      I would not want to be on any show for any reason . Come to think of it I have been married 4 times maybe the jerry springer show .
                      Robert W
                      LMAO nice! You sound like a good candidate =-)

Comment

Couple of years ago, because of a misunderstood email, I attracted the attention of Homeland Security. Everything worked out well, thankfully, but in the process I met a LOT of local cops, state guys and feds. Once they realized that I'm not a problem, they were really intrigued by the setup we have down here in the woods.

My point is, if you develop a relationship with law enforcement and they know you're not a danger to them, you don't have much to worry about if you go public. Don't get me wrong, tho...if you appear on a reality show, you shouldn't give out your exact location! haha!

If I could get 30k or 50k for a show or two, I could look like a prepper who didn't have the $$ to build up much food or weaponry!!!

If they called me about a prepper show, I'd be willing!
                        I'll burn that bridge when I get to it....

Comment

Originally posted by RussFromSelmaAL View Post
                          Couple of years ago, because of a misunderstood email, I attracted the attention of Homeland Security. Everything worked out well, thankfully, but in the process I met a LOT of local cops, state guys and feds. Once they realized that I'm not a problem, they were really intrigued by the setup we have down here in the woods.

My point is, if you develop a relationship with law enforcement and they know you're not a danger to them, you don't have much to worry about if you go public. Don't get me wrong, tho...if you appear on a reality show, you shouldn't give out your exact location! haha!

If I could get 30k or 50k for a show or two, I could look like a prepper who didn't have the $$ to build up much food or weaponry!!!

If they called me about a prepper show, I'd be willing!
                          Remember that the law enforcement guys are well armed and well trained and have family's and remember where you are and what you have when TSHTF .
                          Robert W

Comment

Want to hear something funny. The episode where they had the hippie guy that lived in the missile silo, he says "We dont want to give our exact location", the very next thing he says is we are about 30 miles west of Topeka, Kansas. Then right after that the camera shows the road sign for the road, well......I picked up my Iphone that has google maps typed in the name of the road in Kansas 3 came up, first one looked at was like he said about 30 miles west of Topeka BAM his house with an aerial view and directions 5 minutes. the show wasnt even over and i had exact time and place of where he was
                            Failing to plan is essentially planning to fail.

Once more into the fray
                            To the last good fight I'll ever know
                            Live and die on this day
                            Live and die on this day
                            from "The Grey"

Comment

Who remembers the episode a few weeks back about the guy that had underground bunker that he planned to bring all the kids too.... because as he said the kids are our future. Maybe Im a bit judgmental but that guy seriously struck me as a pedophile. They do have some serious mental types on that show. Some of them are borderline delusional even.
                              Mrbrooks yeah I remember that. I didnt look it up but I was pretty envious of that guys setup even though they where a bunch of hippies who are lost outside todays society.

I completely agree Countryboy. Law enforcement will be the first to use their influence and power to take something they need away from you in a SHTF type scenario. I have friends in law enforement. They are friends first though.

Comment

Working...
                              X