Announcement

Collapse

Survival Warehouse

Please check out our Sponsor Survival Warehouse!

They are dedicated and devoted to providing the best Survival & Preparedness Gear available. They have been around for decades and really excel in the Long Term Food Storage Category.

See more
See less

Doomsday Preppers & Pathological Prepping - Addiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    What was once the norm is now the outer fringe. Collectively we are a nation of weak minded, helpless peasants who are quick to reach out a needy hand but just as quick to strike with outrage.

The media is making self reliance a circus act and those who for now, find this "fashionable" are fueling the machine. Help those you can and walk away from those who would attempt to ridicule.

O.W.
    yes I totally agree! its sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippiehomemaker View Post
      yes I totally agree! its sad but true.
      .... but everything is gonna be alright.

O.W.
      Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Consider this,
        If you take any large group of people, sorted by faith, gender, age, hobbies, whatever, you can always find extremists in any group. A preacher in North Florida grabbed headlines last year burning Korans. Did he represent all of Christianity? The sad thing is that any group becomes known for the most flamboyant outragous members. For preppers, this is probably even more true. Those who are serious about feelings of distrust for the government, and a lack of faith that "big brother" will always be there to provide for us, also want to keep our business private.
        I was offered last week to participate in a new docu-drama about people who are beginning preppers. (My family has been prepping for years, but I still have some plans left unfinnished that would have probably made for a good episode.) I didn't even consider it. Who wants to subject themselves to the scrutiny of neighbors and local officials, all of whome would be watching not to learn anything, but from a smug position of recrimination.

No thank you I say. So understand, I think anyone who goes on these shows should expect to be misquoted, taken out of context, and to have anything they are doing sensationalized. And it isn't hard. I went to a meeting two weeks ago, and sure enough among all of the reasoned, sensible exchange of ideas, one person stated how ready he was to repell scavangers with "plenty of firepower and lots of bulllits." A camera crew would have high-fived. they would have sat through an hour of dull discussions about trading goods, setting radio frequencies, and emergency meetup plans, but they would have had a great quote to lead in with. Firepower and Bullits. It makes me want to carefully watch what I say and where I say it.
        "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

All I know is in 1994 we had a prety nasty ice storm, we lost power, the water wasnt safe and you couldnt find a generator, batteries, flashlights, bottled water, sterno, propane or anything useful in the stores.

I got home from work and found my wife and children huddled together in the living room trying to keep warm. I sprang into action and got them warmed up, fed and started to boil ice so they could have something to drink. It was not the most pleasant experience for me.

That is what opened my eyes to prepping. I will NEVER allow my wife to go through that again and I have tought my kids hoe to take care of their kids if it happens again.

Do I have a mental illness because I refuse to let my family be a victim of a disaster again? I don't care, I'm taking cae of my family, not matter what it takes.

Comment

These shows take so much out of context and try to make every thing look over the top. I do think that some of the people that they are showing maybe a little obsessed but they are prepping for their level of comfort. To them I might look like road kill and not prepared enough but I am prepping to my level of comfort and need. Big Guy I think for a lot of people extreme weather events are the wake up call that they get and respond too. Because of bad weather we go and average of 1 week a year with out power and every couple of years it can be 2-3 weeks. These power outages never happen when it is nice and warm, these power outages are snow or ice related so this is one of the thing we prepare for.

Comment

ALot of good posts here...... Honestly I really don't care what's on DDP show...it's been fun to watch. Remember it is entertainment with a little bit of reality sprinkled in. We each have our reasons to prep....and with so many variable out there...Who knows what will happen??? Me I see several scenarios that could occur....I mix those with my strong Evanlgelical look at the end times.... The previous post thinks this is illogical....(that's ok)....I feel the same about those who believe there will be a polar shift or a super volcano etc..Never the less we have a common thread....Prepare for the worse and hope for the best. Also I respect everyones position here.

Regarding being addicted....no.....practical.....I think so. I am not obsessed with it. However, it is reality. I saw a couple post talking about addictions to phones, texting or facebook. My thoughts about those things....They won't help you in the event something goes bad. I do know that those on this forum are being proaactive, they are doing it on thier own, and they are not asking for handouts or help from the Uncle. I beleive we are all trying to be more self sufficient. Not a bad character flaw in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
                All I know is in 1994 we had a prety nasty ice storm, we lost power, the water wasnt safe and you couldnt find a generator, batteries, flashlights, bottled water, sterno, propane or anything useful in the stores.

I got home from work and found my wife and children huddled together in the living room trying to keep warm. I sprang into action and got them warmed up, fed and started to boil ice so they could have something to drink. It was not the most pleasant experience for me.

That is what opened my eyes to prepping. I will NEVER allow my wife to go through that again and I have tought my kids hoe to take care of their kids if it happens again.

Do I have a mental illness because I refuse to let my family be a victim of a disaster again? I don't care, I'm taking cae of my family, not matter what it takes.
                Big Guy your story is exactly why everyone should be a prepper.
                If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangler View Post
                  Big Guy your story is exactly why everyone should be a prepper.
                  I am with you on this 100% . I thought it was funny back in 2000 we had a big snow here in NC over a foot everywhere and in some places over 19 inches with drifts over 4 ft . Anyway I was working with my local volunteer fire dept for the first 3 days when I came home and found my mom and dad and my brother and his wife to be in my house my generator running and my mom cooking breakfast . Before that both my parents and my brother said you did not need a generator here as the power never goes off for long . It was off over a week that time .They both have at least a small generator now .
                  Robert W
                  Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I too have enjoyed following this thread.

Any "prepping" I do isn't for me... it is for my family. I see it as my responsability to make sure they survive, therefore, I "prep". I too will do whatever I have to do to ensure their safety and survival. I don't think that makes me crazy, I think it makes me human, a dad, a husband.

As has been noted here, this show is all about entertainment. The video is edited for effect and ratings. We know that. How the rest of the world perceives "prepppers" isn't something I can help, I can help how the people who know me perceive me as a "prepper"

Comment

When I see the words illness and addiction used to describe the level of preparedness that existed on the average 19th century farm it makes me question, evolution or de-evolution.Is societies laziness and lack of personal responsibility the disaster we really need to be concerned about. Just some food for thought. Vinnie
                      THE PERSON CONTROLLING YOUR FUTURE IS LOOKING AT YOU IN THE MIRROR - CARPE DIEM

Comment

I am sure that the majority of what the families said in the interview was edited out to make them look "fanatical".
                        I enjoy the show and only wish they showed more 'technical' information on what the families have done.
                        It would be nice if the show asked the families what they would do differently if they had a chance, or what were their "lessons learned".
                        I don't think they are addicts at all...only commited to their cause.
                        Hats off to Nat Geo for this series.

Comment

I have seen people loose there jobs with one living across the street from me and one next door to me. I have seen my own daughter and son in law almost lose there house in 2008 when my son in law lost his job. by the way obama was already elected when he lost his job. They have 3 children. I think that stocking of food, and anything else that would keep you on top of things when things get really bad is a good idea. We have also seen what tornatos and hurricanes can do. So if prepping is what people are doing,, That's great, we all have our reasons for prepping and no I am not prepping for the end of the world on December 21's because that is nothing but another Y2K thing and the only thing that will happen is we will wake up on December 22 and life goes on as usuall. And if you think things in this country arn't going to get worse, stick around. Obama is not done with us yet.

Comment

Doomsday Preppers is TELEVISION. Do we need to say more. Everything they do is geared toward ratings and advertising dollars. Just like anything else you see on television, you have to take it with a grain of salt. It is not gospel. If something sounds fishy do some research and find the truth. There are many things I see on those shows that are blatantly wrong. I watch the show, and I enjoy the show, but I look for different things.

First, I look for what I call a reality thread. The woman in Montana who survived the train crash that took power out completely in the middle of a Montana winter has a real reason to prep. In her own words it was a life changing event. The guy in Missouri who lived through the ice storms has a reason to prep. Anybody who has lived through Hurricanes, Tornados, Earthquakes, Floods all have reasons to prep. They aren't crazy or obsessed. They are been there, done that, got the scars, and won't let it happen again people.

The Boy Scouts have been around for over 100 years. What is their motto? Be Prepared.

That being said "all things in moderation". How much is enough? For me it is one year. I have not researched this thoroughly, but for most SHTF scenarios IMHO life will be back to some sembelance of normal within one year. It may not be exactly the same, but services will be restored; civil unrest will be quieted; restoration efforts will be well underway, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. We could take a mini poll here from those who have survived some of these scenarios. How long did it last? Just add some reason and thought to your preparation.
                            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Amen to that brother. You are so right.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                                That being said "all things in moderation". How much is enough? For me it is one year.
                                I think you have a good base there. I do think one year will be a turning point. If it hasn't settled down by 6 months to one year, then there will be no hope at all. IMHO
                                I am trying to flush out my preps to one year's worth, but because a lot of my preps overlap with my sustainable living goals, I will be rotating, and working preps forever.
                                It is just a lifestyle.
                                "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X