3 lost hikers rescued from Sycamore Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 lost hikers rescued from Sycamore Canyon

In my opinion one of the reasons for forums such as this one is to not end up in the news for being a dumba$$.

3 lost hikers rescued from Sycamore Canyon
    Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:00 am | (0) Comments

•County searchers rescued three young men Tuesday night who became lost while hiking in Sycamore Canyon southwest of Flagstaff.
    According to information from the Coconino County Sheriff's Office, a family member of one of the lost hikers, all aged 21, received a text message about the party being lost and that one of the hikers was suffering from a heat-related illness.
    Because it was late in the day, the county Search and Rescue coordinator requested an Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter fly over Sycamore Canyon in search of the party. The helicopter crew found the hikers and lowered a survival kit of food, water and two-way radio.
    A ground crew went looking for the young men at about 9:20 p.m. The hikers stayed in radio contact with search and rescue until the ground crew reached them at about 10:20 p.m. The ground crew gave the young men food, water and warm clothing and hiked them out to the command post by 11:45 p.m. The three declined any further medical care.
    -- Sun staff reports

http://www.azdailysun.com/news/local...ff7d58795.html
    Last edited by Stitch; 05-27-2011, 03:36 PM.

Sounds like they were smart enough to have a phone, but it sounds like they were a bunch of 21 year old sheeple to me. Just because your lost doesn't mean you can't survive if prepared. What upsets me is sheeple like this who fail to prepare might actually pull help away from a really serious emergency.

Comment

sounds about right for the Light weight, leave behind essentials becuase of ounces, untrained crowd of Neo Hippies. but at least they survived. not all of them do.

'" dont worry, I packed a couple of mountain homes Im only going for the night " famous last words.

Comment

If I ever got "lost" I would consider it an unplanned vacation.

Comment

I agree stitch. I havent really been lost for more than five minutes before. but I always carry enough gear and food to survive for a three extra days to a week just in case. never can tell when Ill make a mistake or get wacked by private murphy.

Comment

I will admit it I have been lost before when i first got stationed in Nevada back before Y2K managed an unplanned night just fine of coarse i keep more in my pockets then my hands and always hike with a rifle with a few basics and some training this wouldn't even have been an event.
            NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

Working...
            X