X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.R. 2647 Amendments (heads up)

:mad:

http://www.gop.gov/bill/111/1/hr2647amendments

The House is scheduled to begin consideration of H.R. 2647, on Wednesday, June 24, 2009, under a structured rule making 69 amendments in order. These amendments may be considered en bloc under the rule.

The rule provides for one hour of debate and one motion to recommit. Amendments are subject to two minute voting. In addition, the rule would amend the bill by adding the text of H.R. 2990 to the end of the bill upon engrossment.

The underlying legislation was introduced by Rep. Ike Skelton (D-MO) on June 2, 2009.

5) Rep. Hastings (D-FL): Prohibits the recruitment, enlistment, or retention of individuals associated or affiliated with groups associated with hate-related violence against groups or persons or the government.

While the likely intent of this amendment is to address recent reports regarding neo-Nazi enlistment in the military (see this recent Salon.Com article), some Members may be concerned that the broad language in the amendment would allow the Attorney General to consider pro-life groups (and other similar organizations) as radical hate groups. As was evidenced by a recent Department of Homeland Security report that labeled pro-life activism as a sign of violent "rightwing extremism," the record of the current Administration may be mixed when it comes to determining what groups may be covered under the language of this amendment. Some Members may be concerned that the amendment includes in the definition of hate group "other groups or organizations that are determined by the Attorney General to be of a violent, extremist nature," giving the Administration full authority over what constitutes a hate group.

Why doesn't this surprise me????? Knew it was coming! Anything to get us swept under the rug!
    Your opponet got stronger today, did you?
    {{unswydd-Of One Purpose}}

Comment

"Administration full authority over what constitutes a hate group"

So it's a do what I say kinda thing.

Nice for them.
      "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
      -Ben Franklin

Comment

In 1824, Goethe said, "A great revolution is never the fault of the people, but of the government."
        "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012

Comment

I HATE what this government is doing. I'm ready to scream, it's so frustrating.

(please note Big Brother aka cyber spy's: I said "HATE" what is being done, not any one person in particular.) :p

Comment

Originally posted by herbalpagan View Post
            I HATE what this government is doing. I'm ready to scream, it's so frustrating.
            Google the Cloward-Piven Strategy. It's what I think he's doing.
            "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012

Comment

Working...
            X