Canning Jars, lids & rings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning Jars, lids & rings???

I live in West Virginia and there are NO canning jars, lids or rings to be found anywhere in my area. My daughter in Florida has plenty of them in her stores, so I had her buy me 3 dozen and we will go get them in a couple weeks. If you can, do you have jars and lids in the stores in your area? The people in the stores are saying that people say there afraid of what's coming and are canning more than normal. Opinions?

I've been seeing the same but will check locally to see how supplies look. Been thinking if lids and rings are picked up for future use if vacuum packing them might be a good idea. Would protect them from humidity and what not. Our local feed store has been busier than ever with gardening and chickens. I attribute it to the current state of affairs.

Comment

They were gone from Amazon for quite a while,
      but they showed up again, about a week ago,
      so it shouldn't be too long before they
      are available most places.

Comment

I have had to remind people who always returned canning jars when given a gift of home canned to return them.

Comment

Walmart here in n. Louisiana still has jars with lids in stock. You just cannot find the rings and lids by themselves. I lucked up and found two packs of 24 lids and rings Monday,last two.

Comment

I went into the Walmart in jacksonville tx. 2 days ago. I was lucky to get labeles lids. and cheesecloth. no rings. which I need badly.

be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

Keep after them. Rings are a reusable item, so they will eventually get caught up with the demand.

Comment

Originally posted by jimLE View Post
                I went into the Walmart in jacksonville tx. 2 days ago. I was lucky to get labeles lids. and cheesecloth. no rings. which I need badly.
                My daughter bought them at Targets in Jacksonville a few days ago.
                Last edited by dalewick; 12-08-2020, 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Reuseable is right as far as rings are concerned. Remember you are told by the instructions that came with your canner to leave the canned items alone - don't move them for 24 hours. AND then remove the rings. This is so if for any reason the lid looses it's seal the ring may hold the lid down tight enough for it to reseal even though the contents have compromised.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                    Reuseable is right as far as rings are concerned. Remember you are told by the instructions that came with your canner to leave the canned items alone - don't move them for 24 hours. AND then remove the rings. This is so if for any reason the lid looses it's seal the ring may hold the lid down tight enough for it to reseal even though the contents have compromised.
                    You have an odd sense of humor.

Comment

I make sure the rings are at least snug once I get them out of the canner.just to make sure that the lids stand a better chance of sealing.then leave them until the next day.

Comment

We have canning lids and jars back on the shelves here, but no widemouth pints..

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                          It is also so moisture will not compromise under the ring and the lid. I see way too many stored in damp places and the bands rust

Comment

Everything canning related is again available here. Now I just need more time.

Dale

Comment

I saw boxes of lids with rings.12 to a box.at walmart.it was 2 of them.or a 12 pack of toilet paper. I choose toilet paper.

Comment

Working...
                              X