Hurricane Michael October 9-12 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Michael October 9-12 2018

Well here we go again. Just finished up cleanup from IRMA and now I have Micheal headed my way. This one is taking the same route that Mathew did 2 years ago. That one took my roof off.

10-8-2018 we started getting bands of wind and very heavy rain. These lasted all night and were 10-15 minutes in length.

10-9-2018 Governor declared 35 counties to be a disaster area. National Guard activated.

Local emergency management (County) has 8 fill stations with sand bags and mounds of sand to fill them. I got 50 filled this am.

I checked my county emergency management on-line site and there has been changes since Ferguson about evacuate zones Over 1/3 of the county has been added to mandatory evacuation zones including me.

Still have heavy wind and rain through out the day 5:45 pm.

Went to store almost out of water and propane. They were expecting resupply but that comes down the 75 to the US-10 so no trucks till Friday.

Went by Home Depot no parking available and looked like no plywood either.

Good luck my friend. I was in Panama City until a few weeks ago. Now, I am kind of glad I transferred :)

Comment

Rich. Stay safe. If you must leave then please do so. The life of you and your family are not worth taken chances by staying. Here in VA we are going to get effects from this one as well. But not what you are facing. Keep us informed as you are able.

Comment

Hope you get lucky and don’t suffer much damage.

Comment

Be safe, and keep your topknot and your powder dry!
          Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

So far one killed when tree fell on a car in Panama city. We are going to get a strong tropical storm out of this. Lots of rain, heavy at times. We just put in our cover crops so hope the heavy rain doesn't mess that up.

Comment

RICHFL: You know our prayers are with you, and there are very few people in the entire state of Florida that will be as well prepared as you are. I hope you get a break, and this one misses you. You have had your lifetime's share of natural disasters.
              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

RichFl, I thought about you off and on all day yesterday. Was attending a funeral and family was more important than checking tv or internet for news. Pray you are safe and missed most if not all devastation visited upon Florida by Michael.
                The same goes for Applejack and all of you either in the direct path or fringes.

Water again seems to now be the problem as he moves further north, although the winds and storm surge at Mexico City were as if a giant tornado instead of a hurricane had hit there.
                Last edited by ZAGran; 10-11-2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Thank you ZAGran. We are not going to get what Florida and Mexico Beach Florida got. That was the worse I have seen in a long while. My prayers have been with Richfl and Makayya as well. Been praying for all the folks in the path of this hurricane. 2 dead and some missing. the pictures they are showing on the weather channel is the worse. Total distruction. We will get hit with a strong tropical storm and much of Tidewater area is under tornato watches. We should be ok for this as we are used to tropical storms. Though there will be flooding in all low laying areas that can be bad.

Comment

We got the high winds and about 3 inches of rain. No flooding in our area. Grandson is on 2 hour delay for school. Something weard though did happen. Last night I saw sparks fly at the corner of my street. Looked like it was from both sides of street. I am sure it was the electrical wires as the lights went out a minute later on the houses at the end of street same side as me and all lights went out across the street. The rest of the neighborhood still has lights. Usually all the neighborhood goes out except for the 5 houses including mine that was put on a seperate line after the tornato hit through the neighborhood next to us.

Comment

I've been listening to ham operators on the 40 and 80 meter bands down in Florida...

The picture they're painting is not nearly the same as what we're seeing in the main stream media. They're saying most of the destruction was a very narrow band where the highest winds were at, and of course some flooding.

This wouldn't be the first time the main stream media distorted a picture.

Numbers don't lie however and we don't hear much about how many people lost power.. that's because it was only about 400,000 the best I can tell.. Heck, I'm in Michigan where we don't get natural disasters and high winds knocked out over 600,000 a few years ago..

I'm sure for those in the purported narrow band, its SHTF for real..
                      Last edited by Murphy; 10-12-2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Murphy, I am not sure I am reading your post right , but the pictures you see on TV is for real. Michael wiped out panama city as well as Mex. beach. So far the count for deaths is at 11 and they are still searching for people. They are now under a search and rescure mission. That death toll can rise. Florida looks like a war zone. It's that bad. Florida is a low laying area and yes the flooding was extreme. I have already heard first hand from my neighbor that has property down there. And a friend that lives there also. Don't know what the ham operators are saying but those 2 cities are what you see on TV and elsewhere.

Comment

I'm back! Lost power for over 24 hours a transformer blew down the block. We had very heavy rain bands come thru. Reminded of the monsoons in Viet Nam Hard rain for up to 30 minutes then would stop. winds hit a high of 80+. I use to go to Mexico Beach to fish in the gulf and take vacations. Now it looks like a war zone. Notice the trees were ripped down at 6-8 feet up from the ground to become stumps. Not to many trees fell over with the roots coming out of the ground. Reminded me of the 1991 volcano going off in the Philippines. I was just lucky now we get cold weather! Not my week.

NOTE: this storm moved so fast not many locations had time to board up. There just was not time!!!!!!!

Comment

Rich, Have been praying you would be ok from this. Glad to see you back and that you came through without much problems. Just hoping Makkaya came through as well. Not sure what part of Fl. he is from but know he is from there.. The places hit in Fl. looks like Indonesea. A war zone for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                              Murphy, I am not sure I am reading your post right , but the pictures you see on TV is for real. Michael wiped out panama city as well as Mex. beach. So far the count for deaths is at 11 and they are still searching for people. They are now under a search and rescure mission. That death toll can rise. Florida looks like a war zone. It's that bad. Florida is a low laying area and yes the flooding was extreme. I have already heard first hand from my neighbor that has property down there. And a friend that lives there also. Don't know what the ham operators are saying but those 2 cities are what you see on TV and elsewhere.
                              From listening to the ham operators down there, the picture I got was that the path of destruction was minor as far as hurricanes go.... That's not to say the destruction was on par with a tornado, its still a freaking hurricane, just that the amount of destruction was nothing like what we've seen with other hurricanes.

I'm just repeating the chatter I heard.. Three or four ham operators chatting about their experience is not exactly iron clad information.. although there's no reason for them to lie either.

One ham guy said the eye went almost right over him.. (he had evacuated and came back) did some damage to his home, his radio tower was still standing, house was still intact.. Garage door had a big huge dent in it from something hitting it, all the windows busted on one side of the house, carpets all water logged, a good deal of vinyl siding tore off.. .. but house still livable..

You know, if you fly over a 5 mile wide path (small by hurricane standards) of destruction in a helicopter or drone, for those unaware of the surrounding areas, that destruction zone will look like it goes on forever.. You can't tell if the zone is 5 miles wide or 500 miles wide.. And that's important to know.

What I was hearing is that the path of destruction is not nearly as large as a lot of other hurricanes and the flooding not nearly as bad..

And while we're on this subject of ham operators reporting, I'd like to point out that I was listening to all this chatter with a $20 RTL-SDR dongle that allows a listener to see an entire band of frequencies all at once to see who's chatting on what channel.. Its freaking amazing what this thing can do. I can scan from the 160 meter bands all the way up to almost 2 Ghz and monitor wide swaths of bandwidth simultaneously.. I can download weather satellite images directly from the satellite, monitor those little walkie talkies, all ham frequencies, all aircraft communications, all digital modes, FM Radio, AM Radio, International broadcast, and even television signals. As far as communications go, this thing is a prepper's dream...

Today, I was displaying the 70cm (440 Mhz range) band and saw a modulated spike on the spectrum.. when I tuned into it, it was a regional bus transit operator barking out instructions to the bus drivers.. Took me a few minutes to figure out who it was but now I know.

Its the size of a USB Memory Stick (maybe slightly larger)....

Comment

Working...
                              X