Grain Costs Down, Groceries Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain Costs Down, Groceries Not

I have sent this heads up to my family. It's from the Wall Street Journal.

An excerpt:
    "Farming is very strange right now," said Mr. Mitchell, who had some of the best years of his farming career in 2007 and 2008 only to see the recession deflate commodity prices.

Across the nation, farmers are making plans to cut their production of corn, wheat, rice, peanuts, beef, pork, poultry and milk. In addition to growing more soybeans, farmer are also planning to grow crops more cheaply, such as by using less fertilizer and pesticides. Also, some farmers plan to grow just one crop on land that normally produces two each year, and to let some land lie fallow throughout the year.

Farmers are expected to plant the fewest acres of cotton since 1983, the Agriculture Department estimates. The USDA expects the production of meat from every major category of farm animal to drop for the first time since 1973.

To read the whole thing:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1236...3173.html?mod=
    "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012

Sounds like it's time to find more nooks and cranny's to put stockpiles of food in!

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking! Suspect it needs to be fast, too.
      "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012

Comment

What is so bad about farmers growing less food is the fact that according to the US Department of Agriculture the WORLDS!!!! surplus grain supply is down to 50 days worth.:eek: So if grain growing today there would be enough for the world to eat for 50 days then we would be out.

Where is the subsidies when you need them:confused:

Comment

Didn't you get the memo about the subsidies? People thought we were supporting the farmers too much!
          I heard today while watching a show on how CA is preparing for "the big one" that they are worried about food, since they only have enough food for a week or so at a time, and wouldn't be able to feed people if a lot needed care after a disaster. They said they wished more people were prepared...although, they never said where people should put anything they stockpile, since it would all be buried under rubble if the big one hit.:confused:

Comment

Yea I never perticularly agreed with the subsidyh thing. I was just being facetious.

Comment

Working...
            X