New book, "The Big Ones: How Natural Disasters Have Shaped Us"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New book, "The Big Ones: How Natural Disasters Have Shaped Us"

I'm hearing a bunch of news stories and interviews with the author, of a new book on natural disasters--

The Big Ones: How Natural Disasters Have Shaped Us (And What We Can Do About Them)Click image for larger version

Name:	2VU776DO4NA73LUZYCLCHFUASE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	213475

Reviews on Amazon say it's very readable. I'll be trying to get my hands on a copy and add more info/my own review, but from what I've seen so far

it's by a high-level U.S.G.S. scientist/administrator who came to advise a number of government bodies on how to prep for disasters.
    it looks back through history at various BIG volcanoes, earthquakes,etc. that had MAJOR economic and political impacts, but were then generally forgotten.

Those kinds of topics in a book that reviews all praise for how it 'hooked' them and was a page-turner, mean this is my kind of book.

Hope you all give it a look, but also, if anyone's heard other info in favor of it, or had criticisms of it, please share!

Here's some links if you want to check it/the author out: A pretty long newspaper article--both about the author and the book.
    The big one is coming to California, seismologist Lucy Jones says cheerfully

A radio show/interview:
    Prepping For 'The Big One' And The Inevitability Of Natural Disasters

Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Looks interesting, especially, if it has parts on prepping and surviving natural disasters. Heaven knows we have enough of them. It doesn't matter where you are you are not immune.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
    X