Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advance Lesson Plan 205 *Pre-Planning/After Action Report on Surviving Hurricanes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance Lesson Plan 205 *Pre-Planning/After Action Report on Surviving Hurricanes

Advance Lesson Plan 205

Pre-Planning/After Action Report on Surviving Hurricane Season

1. Background:

In 45 days we start the East Coast Hurricane Season; which starts on 1 June and runs to 15 November. I want to give you a check list of things to pre-plan for if you expect that you could be in a Hurricanes path. I will at the bottom give a accurate After Action Report of thing that worked and items we need to review.

30+ Days prior to start of season:

Check with your county Emergency Center Web site for new information including shelters, flooding maps, new evacuation zones, new evacuation routes since last year.

Clean up the yard get all that junk either put away (Garage) or to the dump.

Check trees for damaged branches. If any can hit power lines get them removed. If the power company has to do so after the storm, you will be charged by them.

Check your roof, repair any shingles that are loose.

Check any out buildings ensure they are tied down with engineering stakes. 3’ steel poles.

Check your siding and windows repair as needed.

Check your garage door. Look for additional re-enforcement (DIY Store).

10 Days prior to start of season:

Check your emergency kits, bug-out bags, food, water, first aid, communications gear.

Make a list to purchase new food, water and batteries as needed.

1 June START OF HURRICANE SEASON:

Ensure your fuel for vehicles, propane tanks, generators etc., are full Keep the vehicles at least ¾ full at all times.

Ensure that the outside clean up is done.

Ensure that the repairs are complete.

96-48 hours Prior to Hurricane Strikes:

Place shutters/plywood is placed over all windows. Use screws they hold better.

Purchase additional water (Gallon jugs) (Remember each person needs 1 gallon per day to drink/food preparation. I use the water bob as a fresh water back up. Place 5 gallon buckets full in each bathroom for toilet usage.

During and after the Hurricane has passed:

If your home is still standing (Great)

Wear heavy duty boots/gloves do to broken glass, trash, and tree limbs will be on the ground.

Beware that animals including snakes, rats, gators, wild dogs will be out and about.

Beware that Bad People will arrive looking for easy pickings So be armed.

Beware of down or hanging power lines. STAY AWAY!

Beware that some limbs will not fall becoming widow makers so look closely before going under tree limbs.

If/when power goes out if there is no flooding in your area, the sewer lines will work for a minimum of 5 days. After that you will need to build a latrine/bucket.

My family has lived in Florida since 1993. We had experiences with Typhoons over in Japan and under stand what power these storms have. Remember most people in Florida have survived one or more Hurricanes.

After Action Report on Hurricane IRMA

Once again the state/local governments were not prepared to declare a Hurricane watch, until it was too late to evacuate know flooding/surge areas. Once activated additional resourced National Guard, Extra Money for first responders to stay on duty, opening of shelters, and evacuation of all coastal areas effected.

Here is why: once again the coast roads 95N, 10W, 75N became parking lots with people moving 6-10 miles on a full tank of gas. All local gas stations near these roads were empty within 8 hours. You had to travel 8-12 miles to find a gas station open. Local hotels within 100 miles soon were full. So you tried to bug-out, no gas, no shelter, and cannot return to your home. Most people were put up by local churches, school gyms were used as a last resort.

If you have a portable generator you need energy (Fuel). Mine uses propane and goes thru a 40 lbs bottle every two days with minimum usage. Gas power required between 9-15 gallons per day to run full time.

What do you need for power - Refrigerator full time, fans/window a/c unit to sleep (Florida), lights. We moved everyone into the master bedroom at night. Limited the power to a/c, 1 floor fan, and the refrigerator.

Since this is Florida no basement. Otherwise we would move there since it is colder.

After 3 days of working hard, sweating all the time, and tired of sponge baths I was ready for something else so I filled a kiddy pool and just took a navy shower outside and laid in the pool with a cold beer. (Yes I have a photo but no way is that going on line!!!! Did not say I had shorts on!!!!!

Lol PS: my wife came out took 2 photos and put a small towel over my lower region laughing all the time.

Prior to the storm and immediately after the local DIY stores were packed with people looking for tarps, and plywood. Once the available items were gone it took days for additional supplies to come in. Tarps are used to cover up opening (Roof/Sliding to keep the weather out.

Water was a major problem since by the 2nd day the water was no longer drinkable. People stayed in line for 8+ hours to purchase a limited number of gallons of water at Wal Mart and everywhere else sold water.

Electric Power came back on the 5th day for us. Some people were still out 30 days later. The gas stations did not receive supplies of gas for over 5 days due to road conditions.

By the 10th day most generators were not working due to lack of fuel. I went thru 3 40 lbs and 3 20 lbs tanks of propane.

People were waiting in line with 5 gallon gas cans waiting for gas at their local gas station.

Communication to family is important. Once power went out so did cell phones, and land lines. Only radio was left. CB, FRM/GRMS, Ham was the only sources left to the general public.

So words to the wise: 10 days prior to 1 June start stock piling water, batteries and food. Plus anything else you might need.

True Story: On the 3rd night after the storm. We drove around to our daughters house to see the damage that a tree had done to it. Streets were dark with no lights except for vehicles. That is until we passed a Pizza joint that had 2 cop cars, and well over 100 people in line to get a fresh hot pizza. It was the only business opened. They must have had a major generator for that much power. I know they made a lot of money.

OK that’s it. If it’s your first time or 20 times use your time wisely and prepare for the worst.

very nice, thanks
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

All good info. Thanks for posting.
      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

With a few modifications RICHFL's advice applies to a variety of natural disaster scenes. Ice storms, high winds (straight and micro burst) floods & tornadoes are the ones that come to my mind since I live in Oklahoma. There is no official season for any of these, with the exception of Ice storms, so I really have to stay prepared year round. I do my prep the first week of December for ice storms. The rest I do twice a year, Spring and Fall. Or specifically March & September.

Comment

As they say in the military "pain and sweat now will save lives later!" Preparing for a disaster is just common sense approach to life!

Comment

I share the same natural disasters with ZAGran with the addition of earthquakes. We are better prepared now, and I would caution anyone who might be prepping for a flood. Get a cap or a plug for the floor drain in your basement. I think it is a 3" threaded plug. In 2015 we had a very unexpected flood. I say unexpected because many of us had been in the same houses during the 1993 flood which was supposed to be a 500 year flood, and we never had any problems. The flood water overwhelmed the sanitation system, and raw sewage was coming up through the floor drains. I can't begin to tell you what a nightmare that was, and it had to be professionally treated, and certified.

Two takeaways from that event. No matter how prepared you think you are Mother Nature will throw you a curve, and catch you unaware. Secondly, life can turn from perfectly normal to TEOTWAWKI in a heartbeat. It will hit the fan, and will turn your life upside down before you know what happened.
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
              I share the same natural disasters with ZAGran with the addition of earthquakes. We are better prepared now, and I would caution anyone who might be prepping for a flood. Get a cap or a plug for the floor drain in your basement. I think it is a 3" threaded plug. In 2015 we had a very unexpected flood. I say unexpected because many of us had been in the same houses during the 1993 flood which was supposed to be a 500 year flood, and we never had any problems. The flood water overwhelmed the sanitation system, and raw sewage was coming up through the floor drains. I can't begin to tell you what a nightmare that was, and it had to be professionally treated, and certified.

Two takeaways from that event. No matter how prepared you think you are Mother Nature will throw you a curve, and catch you unaware. Secondly, life can turn from perfectly normal to TEOTWAWKI in a heartbeat. It will hit the fan, and will turn your life upside down before you know what happened.
              Well, I too have to wory about earthquakes here in Oklahoma. Most are in north central and so far have not quite hit a 5. But I have felt 2 of them over the past few years. One actually pulled the drywall tape loose between the walls and the ceiling and dropped a clock from the wall. Luckily no structural damage and less than $100 of DIY took care of the damage. Of course the structural check cost a bit more. I have been unable to get insurance because I've never been more than the required distance from the quakes for the required length of time.
              Since I have family in Cali I have a good source of info on how to stabilize and secure everything from hangings on the wall, ceiling fans and tall furniture plus the fact that a stick construction fairs better than masonry in an earthquake.

Hopefully now that fracking/disposal of fracking waters have been curtailed to a great extent the quakes will slow down Still it is best to be prepared.

Comment

Here is one thing you can do about sewer lines leading to your house. Get a one way butterfly value installed to prevent sewer back up into your house.

We did this on our home back in 98 after a small flood from a storm front that dumped 12 inches of rain. What it does is allow passage of stuff leaving the house until backup pressure closed the value. I had mine place next to the outside pipe plug we have here in Florida. Something to look into.

Comment

This is very good info RichFl. We to are in hurricane area here in VA. It has not been as bad for us as it has for you guys in FL. We are already prepared for both staying home and to leave it the need arises. So far we have never had to evacuate but our weather has been getting worse and worse over the past few years. We have had nothing but off and on rain now for past 2 weeks. it has been a mild July. This has caused our garden to not fare as well this year. Though I have been able to get some canning done. It is not near what we usually have to can so we are depending on farmers this year for some things.

Comment

As a new Hurricane seasons has started I want you all to remember that if the water comes thru the door it's well past the time to leave.
                    You will have a mix of water, raw sewage, and chemicals.

A car or truck trying to cross a flowing stream (Road) will fail if the water is over 15 inches deep and moving as slow as 4 mph.

Prepare and be informed!

Comment

Don't know how many of you are familar with hurricane hugo but hurricane florence will be just as bad. Hugo was in 1989 as a cat 5. florence is now a strong cat 4 and is going to stall. It could become a cat 5 as well. It is going to hit in the same place as hugo which is in Wilmanton N. Carolina. This is going to cause a great deal of inland flooding and yes the James River going up into Lynchburg VA can and will flood. This is going to be a bad one.

Comment

I'm more worried about the effects on the other (3) THREE hurricanes will have on us here in Florida. Plan on changing out my sealed water 30/55 gal drums tomorrow. What I do is empty rinse and then a bleach wash out 50 percent bleach turn over and allow to air dry then refill put my extender (Sodium Di-oxide) I think, for water storage and recap. I have 4 of those and still have an underground water tank to refill.

Comment

Rich we haven't heard as to what is going to happen from the other hurricanes out there as they are more on Florence at this point. I think one is going to turn out to sea. But the one behind Florence is one to be watching closely. Stay safe.

Comment

Watch the gulf - there is one forming out there.

I just remember something - - local news (TV) has a bunch of programming dealing with the before, during , and after effects of a strong storm. But they never play them well before the storm is upon you.

During IRMA last year we had only one radio station available. Even the station that was designated for emergency broadcasting was off the air.

With no communications or power available you need have hand crank radios available. The hand crank can and does break after just so many hours using it. So buy a second if you have time.

Comment

Have not heard about a hurricane forming in the gulf. they are to preoccupied on Florence. Rich, stay safe and I know you will be prepared as well. We dodged the bullet on Florence but not the tropical storms. We will be fine but will be praying for you guys to be safe. Have not heard anything from makkya but I do know he to lives in FL. Will be praying for his family as well and all others in the FL area.

Comment

Working...
                              X