No announcement yet.

Hurricane Irma Watch and Beyond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And lest I forget to say this, thank you to all who prayed.

I have no doubt of its value and effect.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Hoping the reports of Irma sliding west and bouncing off Cuba mean it will be a less than worst case scenario. Not sure if that means the Gulf side of Florida gets hit instead of Miami, etc. or how that affects Rich and others, but hoping you all are getting through with the least possible impact.

Those around you all are lucky to have you in their area, even if they never know it.

About that 'because of Irma, no ammo for sale' sign--is there any official reason for that? Was if from the state govt., or the store's management? Is it due to back-ground checks not being possible? (???) Not the most important thing--just wondering.
      Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Comment

Background check for ammo? I thought only NJ had an a$$ backward type law like that.
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

When there is a "state of emergency" declared in a state you can not buy guns or ammo. We were in a state of emergency here in Alabama also. Good info to know before it happens again.

Comment

All I can say is to buy your ammo before they know that a hurricane or whatever is going to hit your area. That way you are ahead of the game.

Comment

NOTE 8 Tuesday 7 PM: I survived!!!!!! We have some damage but were locked into the house do to a wall of water (Surge) that hit our street. I Have a photo I'll post later on. We have been without power for three days. It came on a little over an hour ago. I say that over 35 percent of Florida is still without power.

Highest wind we had was recorded at 110 with sustained winds of 65 MPH. Very heavy rain with over 12 inches in 6 hours. A creek called Black Creek which was 30 feet deep and maybe 100-150 feet wind is now a lake of several square miles. As of this morning there were water rescues still happening.

What ever the Government says about how much this storm cost is not enough. They will say 65+ billion I'm saying at least 500 billion.

More later I still have a lot to clean up.

Comment

Glad you survived!! I'll sleep easier knowing you and yours are safe. Take care with the clean up. Don't live through 110 mph wind just to step on a rusty nail. Are your tetanus shots up to date? Seriously though so glad you all are all right.

Comment

Rich, I am so glad to hear you guys are ok. I feel a bit easier myself now that I have heard from you on here. I am sure there will be a lot of clean up. Just be careful and yes I to hope your tetanus shots are up to date.
                  Now just waiting to hear from Myakka. I know he may have been called out to work this hurricane. But hope to hear from him soon as well.

Comment

RichFL: Glad to hear you survived with minimal damage. Has to be scary battening down the hatches, and sitting through a storm like that. I couldn't sleep for a minute wondering if my roof was going to blow off. Good luck with the clean up. Were you ever stranded, or did you have access to an exit road if something worse had happened? You are in our prayers.
                    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Well it looks like the GATOR Navy will go into action today. The sheriff stopped by and asked if they could borrow my boat. I said OK and told them to take my Son along to be the boat driver. They have a lot of search and rescue to do in the B lack Creek area. Also a lot of single and double wide mansions will need to be searched. (Mobile Homes).

The sheriff has used my boats in the past so he knew where I was. Have done some volunteer work in the past on search and recovery. The state is looking for volunteers from out of state. It look like this will be a very long recovery.

Comment

Our south Florida home survived the storm with little damage. We have storm surge up to the front door but not in the house. We still don't have power and the county is under a 9pm to 6am curfew. I am heading south this weekend.

Comment

Tailgate so happy you not to have the storm surge come into your home and you have what you said was little damage to your home. Does "heading south" mean you are on your way to help with the clean up/recovery? Be safe! and remember my prayers are with you.

Comment

Stay safe Tailgate and anyone else on this forum that we don't know of that lives in Texas or Florida. Please chime in if you can to let us know you are all ok. Homes can be replaced but people can't. I know there are a lot of newcomers to the forum and we don't know what state a lot of you are in so please let us know. If you are from Texas or Florida or any other area that has been hit by these two storms let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able. Prayers still going out to all that were effected by these two hurricanes.

Comment

[QUOTE=ZAGran;n210645]Tailgate so happy you not to have the storm surge come into your home and you have what you said was little damage to your home. Does "heading south" mean you are on your way to help with the clean up/recovery? Be safe! and remember my prayers are with you.

[/QUOTE
                              We were lucky I have a few shingles to put back on and some tree limbs to cut up. My friend said they are rationing gas and it is cash only charge cards are not able to be used.

Comment

Working...
                              X