Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio Pioneer Paul Harvey No Longer With Us

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radio Pioneer Paul Harvey No Longer With Us

    Fellow Survivalists,

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but one of the greats of radio, as well as a great voice for individual freedom, has passed away:

    Radio Legend Paul Harvey Dies
    'Rest of the Story' Host Became Most Familiar Voice in American Radio
    By DEAN SCHABNER
    Feb. 28, 2009
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...6982226&page=1

    The Official Paul Harvey Web Site
    http://www.abcrn.com/harvey/index.html

    Rest In Peace, Paul and we'll try to carry on your tradition of finding and showing the wonder and delight of "The Rest of the Story."

    :( :( :( :(
    "Apocalypse is by no means inevitable." --Jim Rice.

  • #2
    Now this is truly a loss :( Rest in peace and Good Day!
    73

    later,
    ZA

    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
    beat you to death with it because it is empty.

    The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

    Comment


    • #3
      One of my all-time favorites of media.....his boy has some big shoes to fill.....
      "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

      "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

      Comment


      • #4
        god bless his soul and now........................the rest of the story thats all i got
        the pack that plays together stays together

        Comment


        • #5
          RIP and I'll always remember you
          Go ahead and run, you'll only die tired

          Comment


          • #6
            Paul Harvey was one of the last of the old school radio broadcasters who understood that broadcasting was a "Public Service". Nowadays, radio and tv is nothing more than a corporate profit center focused on "ratings & revenue". Local public service is rare with the exception of small AM stations.
            If it looks ignernt, but it works, then it ain't ignernt.

            Comment


            • #7
              Vicious Ignernt,

              You wrote:

              Paul Harvey was one of the last of the old school radio broadcasters who understood that broadcasting was a "Public Service". Nowadays, radio and tv is nothing more than a corporate profit center focused on "ratings & revenue". Local public service is rare with the exception of small AM stations.
              Paul Harvey's broadcast was certainly a service to the public, but Paul Harvey was certainly not anti-business. He was a firm defender of genuine, bona fide free enterprise and free enterprise returned the favor to him. After all, the man's radio career earned him a 27-room mansion and a limo that took him to work in Chicago every day.

              Paul Harvey's genius was his ability to take those "down-home" stories and use his mastery of words, tone, inflection, and pregnant pauses to make the story real, interesting, and entertaining to a national and even a world audience. And with Paul Harvey, "down-home" stories could be from anywhere. This is what earned him such widespread renown and syndication and got him so many great sponsorship deals.

              Paul Harvey was a classic case of "local boy makes good" and "going to do good and ending up doing quite well." People like that are always cool.

              :cool:
              "Apocalypse is by no means inevitable." --Jim Rice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah, it looks like that was my point, but I did not mean it that way. I apologize if it seemed I was slamming Paul harvey, that was not my intent. I started in broadcasting at a small AM station and Paul Harvey's daily broadcast was always the top rated segment of the entire programming. I am not anti-business, I am against how the local stations have changed from the very morals and ideals that Paul Harvey spoke of so well and with such great illustration and imagination.

                Originally posted by TheUnboundOne View Post
                Vicious Ignernt,

                You wrote:



                Paul Harvey's broadcast was certainly a service to the public, but Paul Harvey was certainly not anti-business. He was a firm defender of genuine, bona fide free enterprise and free enterprise returned the favor to him. After all, the man's radio career earned him a 27-room mansion and a limo that took him to work in Chicago every day.

                Paul Harvey's genius was his ability to take those "down-home" stories and use his mastery of words, tone, inflection, and pregnant pauses to make the story real, interesting, and entertaining to a national and even a world audience. And with Paul Harvey, "down-home" stories could be from anywhere. This is what earned him such widespread renown and syndication and got him so many great sponsorship deals.

                Paul Harvey was a classic case of "local boy makes good" and "going to do good and ending up doing quite well." People like that are always cool.

                :cool:
                If it looks ignernt, but it works, then it ain't ignernt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Vicious Ignernt,

                  You wrote:

                  Yeah, it looks like that was my point, but I did not mean it that way. I apologize if it seemed I was slamming Paul harvey, that was not my intent.
                  Fret not, I didn't interpret your remarks as a slam on Paul Harvey at all. I'm just saying that Paul Harvey showed that a "starving artist" is not an inevitable thing. He both honed the craft of speaking and plyed it towards being profitable.

                  I started in broadcasting at a small AM station and Paul Harvey's daily broadcast was always the top rated segment of the entire programming. I am not anti-business, I am against how the local stations have changed from the very morals and ideals that Paul Harvey spoke of so well and with such great illustration and imagination.
                  I'm all with you here. For all of the focus on profits, I've noticed that a lot of AM stations in the Midwest and the New York area seem to have half of their advertising from PSAs and from various government agencies and unions. Where is the profit in that? And since these non-profits and agencies are only out to redistribute wealth from taxpayers to those they favor, where is the "public service" in that?

                  Things like that make me wonder if radio station owners and program directors even bleed red or breathe oxygen.
                  "Apocalypse is by no means inevitable." --Jim Rice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    bottom line.....am radio f*cking rocks nowdays, and he helped it happen....he was great before true radio was even mediocre.....
                    "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

                    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
                      bottom line.....am radio f*cking rocks nowdays, and he helped it happen....he was great before true radio was even mediocre.....
                      There is some really good AM programming out there, I agree. I remember, WAY back in the day, when I was engineering at this little AM directional "down east", and the General manager was fretting about ratings and revenue. He was all over me about tweaking up the power output and the modulation level, even wanting to try the fad of AM Stereo, anything technical to try to help. He asked me what I thought would help. I told him that if his station was the only station to broadcast the president's weekly radio address, he'd have the entire world listening to his station at that time. In other words, programming, programming, programming! Programming plus public service rule in radio.
                      If it looks ignernt, but it works, then it ain't ignernt.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X