This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebola

"The window to stop the Ebola outbreak is closing quickly", warns the CDC.

Are N95 particulate masks sufficient? Or are we talking full on hazmat suit? I will be working full time in a hospital in Miami starting next week.....

Amy, all I can say is prep the best we can.
    Just as a side note on one news cast where they were showing a clinic treating Ebola yesterday I glimpsed a bucket with a hose running from it setting on a shelf with "Chlorine 10 - 1" hand written on it. I've been wondering ever since just what this concentration indicates. Bleach or a stronger concentration diluted 10 to 1. Get your powdered pool shock ready, if you don't use it for drinking water purification you might get away with some with various additives.

Comment

Amy, congradulations on your job. I would think the full hazmat suit for Ebola as they said it is contracted through bodily fluids. the mask would only help around the face for cough and sneezing of flu, colds things like that. but bodily flood is a whole new ball game. If it gets on your clothing from an effected patient and then on your hands or some other part of your skin, you could become infected. So the full hazmat would be safer.

Comment

I don't think a N95 will cut it. The way it's going I'm thinking full hazmat may need to have a better review with another American doctor now diagnosed with Ebola. Was I hearing correctly that the death toll is at 20,000 now? Was the case of Ebola in Switzerland confirmed? Still waiting on a case in the USA.

Dale

Comment

AMY!

Listen to your brother.....

If it goes down, GET OUT of Miami. Grab your hubby and head north.

-Buggy
          I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
            AMY!

Listen to your brother.....

If it goes down, GET OUT of Miami. Grab your hubby and head north.

-Buggy
            YYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to him!!

Dale

Comment

I know.... I know..... not my choice to move to Miami..... but we gotta go where the jobs are.... my only consolation is that I made my husband promise that we can live as far west as possible, right next to the Everglades.... I feel better with some wilderness at my back.... as opposed to the wilds of downtown Miami..... ugh.....

Comment

dalewick, you are correct with the 20,000 number. I just read an article that this number will turn into 100,000 worldwide. Amy, take care. I think the best advice was what I read in this forum: Keep your hands washed and rotate soap. I am looking for that first aid stuff that puts a second skin on your cuts. I would like to use it when I have to go to the store. Also make sure you don't touch your hands to your face or mouth, I know it's hard to do, after your in public.

Comment

Are you referring to that spray on bandage or Benedril? I have such thin dry skin I'll have to wear gloves in public. Best to stock up more. And what to use to disinfectant cans, bottles, plastic pkg. etc from grocery store IF we meed to Pick something up? I sure wouldn't buy any flour, sugar, cornmeal or anything else in paper bags.
                  Last edited by ZAGran; 09-03-2014, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                    Are you referring to that spray on bandage or Benedril? I have such thin dry skin I'll have to wear gloves in public. Best to stock up more. And what to use to disinfectant cans, bottles, plastic pkg. etc from grocery store IF we meed to Pick something up? I sure would buy any flour, sugar, cornmeal or anything else in paper bags.
                    Seriously considering using UV disinfection on food items and as an additional to hand washing if it comes to that. http://www.uvdisinfection.com/index.html

Dale

Comment

I wanted the stuff they called second skin to just put on little cuts I may have on my hand. I heard on the news just now they are testing students who have been to Ebola countries. CDC said that this crisis is nearing the point of no return.

Comment

Some good info on your link thanks..

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
                        Seriously considering using UV disinfection on food items and as an additional to hand washing if it comes to that. http://www.uvdisinfection.com/index.html

Dale
                        "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
                        -Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by whisper View Post
                          I wanted the stuff they called second skin to just put on little cuts I may have on my hand. I heard on the news just now they are testing students who have been to Ebola countries. CDC said that this crisis is nearing the point of no return.
                          The second skin stuff works pretty good
                          Robert W
                          Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Whisper

would you elaborate on the rotate soap you posted to Amy? Do you mean types of soap (like alternate between just plain hand soap and antibacterial) or actual bottles or bars of soap. Incidentally I wind up washing my bars and bottles of soap a couple of times a week. They get dirty too!

Comment

According to the CDC you must wear level IV containment suits when working around a positive ID patient.

Level IV is full encapsulated suit with independent air source.

The CDC still does not know if this virus is air borne.

Once it does become airborne ... well if you have not seen the movie(s) about zombies.... You get the idea; how fast it will spread. It will cover the 7 major continents within 48 hours. Unless air travel is stopped immediately.

What can you and I do?

Quarantine is the only solution. Close your doors and keep everyone inside. Store extra water, and make (1) trip to the store. Once you close the door "No one comes in!" If you go out you do not get to come back in.

The medical personnel will be flooded with patients over the first 4-7 days. After that there will be no more medical facilities, supplies, or personnel, because they will all be dead, used up, or destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                              X