Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi I am Cindy S from Northeast Wisconsin and am new to prepping.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I am Cindy S from Northeast Wisconsin and am new to prepping.

Hi I am Cindy S from Northeast Wisconsin and am new to prepping.

Wondering what is the best, cheapest way to store food long term. And what are the most important foods to store.

I know that is a wide open question but I am on a tight budget and have to start somewhere. I am a member at Costco and have a relatively remote cottage 80 miles from home if that helps with any suggestions.

Welcome aboard Cindy

I would say canning and food grade 5 gal buckets

I would stock a lot of instant rice and potatoes.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.......
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks, USA
        It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war!

Comment

Welcome from central Florida. I would start with basics like rice(not brown it goes rancid too soon) and beans. Add some instant potatoes and a wide variety of canned fruits, vegetables and meats. Buy stuff you would normally eat anyway. Start with easily achieved goals like having 2 weeks of food you eat daily stored in your pantry. If you stock regular foods you eat anyway, be sure to adopt a "FIFO" system. First in, first out. That way nothing ever gets really old even though canned goods last for years. Are you gardening?

As for your cottage, how safe is that area? Any meth dealers to worry about? break ins? Google guerrilla gardening for your cottage and be sure to plant useful shrubs and trees.

Comment

Welcome Cindy.

A podcaster, Jack Spirko over at the Survival Podcast, who I've listened to for years puts it simply - "store what you eat & eat what you store". He suggests what he's termed copy canning to build a pantry and it works even on a limited budget. It works.

Let me see if I can describe it correctly. I've posted it here in other threads so search thru the old discussions not to mention there is a wealth of other info. For say 2 weeks to a month, get yourself a small notebook to make a food journal and keep it on your kitchen counter. Every time you use something, write it down, anything you or anyone in your family uses. The next time you use it make a tick mark next to it. So lets say at the end of a month you see on your list ravioli with 3 tick marks next to it, well you then used 4 cans. So you're using about a can a week. so next week when your doing your shopping instead of buying say 2 cans until next pay, buy 3. Do that each shopping trip and after say 2 months you will have 4 cans on the shelf plus the can you bought for that normal 2 weeks. You now have 30 days of storage. Just be sure to put the newest to the back and use the oldest dates first. You can do 1 item at a time till you hit your goal or take maybe your top say 5 high use items and rotate thru each till you have your stock built. But maybe some week there is a great sale that you can really stock up on, go for it. Once you hit say a 30 day stockpile on your most used items go for another round to 60 days, another to 90 etc... and your buying things you and your family eat, not a bunch of of generic MRE's that taste like ass that you and your family won't eat.

Also if you don't already do so, learn to cook from basic ingredients. If you garden or have access to produce and things around you look into canning, water bath or pressure cooker. You can make and put up your own foods. Say u get a good deal on stew beef, make a huge batch of your favorite beef stew recipe and can it. Makes for low cost, healthy and fast meals on hectic nights and stores for quite a long time.

This is an excellent way to get started and have normal foods your family is used to. as your knowledge and experience grow look into longer term foods. freeze dried foods are the most expensive but also last the longest of any. if you buy them be sure to use some of the stocks to learn how to cook with them and to find what it takes to get best taste and textures out of them.
            Last edited by CountryGuy; 01-14-2019, 10:22 PM.
            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Welcome to here, Cindy!

Country Guy and SonofLiberty nailed the prepping concept into a nutshell. Good advice!

Prepping has rescued many from hard times, such as unemployment, illnesses, and local disasters. Start preparing for those likely scenarios first, then build your way up to longer-term disasters.

Of course, preparing for life's unexpecteds is greatly enhanced by skills such as purifying water, sourcing food, basic medical skills (for when there is no doctor), etc. etc. When you have honed certain skills to the point that you can survive without your preps, you won't panic if your supplies are depleted, either through use, fire, flood, theft, or whatever.

It takes a while to learn how to source your foods outside of a grocery store. Go slow, and get an experienced forager to help you learn how to identify wild edibles. Get a good field guide, such as Peterson's, for your area and learn to recognize the difference between your target plants and poisonous look-alikes. Transplant or direct-seed wild edibles in your location. This thread may give you more ideas:

https://survivalforum.survivalmagazi...lant-id-method

For theft-proofing your garden (hard times = lots of stolen stuff), I like the concept of camouflage gardening: planting things that don't look like edible foods to the casual passerby. For example, turnips in the flower bed, or plants that are readily eaten in other countries but not here. See Baker Creek Heirloom seeds - www.rareseeds.com for ideas (bonus: heirloom seeds can be saved from your plants each year and will breed true).

There's much more I can say, but there it is in a nutshell.

Ask questions and RESEARCH thoroughly everything you hear. Sometimes well-meaning advice is simply parroted misinformation, from one website or forum after another. The good thing about forums is that sometimes wrong info is called out by others who know better.
              Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 01-15-2019, 12:39 AM.
              Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Cindy: Welcome from Missouri. Good to have you with us. There are dozens of You Tube channels that offer advice on Food Prepping on a Budget. You really can build up your cache quite quickly without breaking the bank. I have done it myself just to test the system. Ask yourself a few questions. How many people are you prepping for? Adults? Children? Seniors? Don't forget pets if you have any. How long do you want your cache to last? 1 month? 3 months? 6 months-1 year? Do you have methods to prepare food and water if you don't have any utilities or power? Just a little pet peeve of mine; I make sure I have meals ready to EAT; not just meals ready to COOK. How much storage space do you have? Give yourself a little direction, and each time you go to the store pick up one or two extra items. You can do it for a few dollars a week, and your supply will build up quickly.

Read the old posts. there is a huge knowledge base here, and great people; all willing to help, and offer suggestions. Good luck and welcome aboard.
                Last edited by Morgan101; 01-15-2019, 09:14 AM.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
                X