Factors to Consider for a BOL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
    Buggyout, I like the idea of going to a military base for a BOL but good luck getting in.

You said that you have an ID that never runs out, that means you're retired correct? That military ID does not grant you access to the base in the case of a natural disaster or event that causes the base to close the gates. The only folks that have access to a base in this situation are those with a mission critical badge. The ordinary ID is not one of those. Also like to point out that although we brothers in arms are all for watching each others back there are protocols in place for such events that prevent the base from "opening it's arms" to the populace. I'd also like to mention that in the case of a CBRNE event on a global scale a military instillation is not some place I'd want to be within a few miles or down wind of. Please understand that I mean no offense. I was involved with the planning, preparing and exercising of events like we discuss here on an Air Force base as both a civilian and a military member. There are several layers of things below the surface that most folks will never see.

Having said all that I must confess that I don't have a BOL yet. I currently have a BOV that I hope will take my lady and I to some place other than where the SHTF.
    Fair enough! I am man enough to admit I am wrong. Please let me clarify though..... I am outside the base because it benefits me right now. If it did all go down and they offered me a pass inside, I would probably take it.

Now...

I do have a year's worth of food stored, plus supplies, and BOV. I also have three other properties (two houses , one piece of land) around the country I could bugout too. I do have a contingency plan in place if the base closes off to us .

-Buggy
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Buggy, you didnt offend me. A grizzled old veteran i worked with said it best a few years back. We had just watched defiance (i think that is the movie). And the question was asked "what would you do if there was suddenly troops of brown shirted black boots marching through town and issuing orders? My partner said "go looking for a brown shirt and some shoe polish i guess."
      Safest place to be is as part of the recovery effort. I believe that most of the people in uniform are sincere patriots. I may not trust certain parts of the leadership, but that doesnt mean anyone in uniform is a threat or enemy to me.
      "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
        Do yourself a large favor and at your leisure watch this film> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQY9GLRuMUU... These folks were trying to live life similar to what we espouse here ...
        Thanks for the link. I watched both parts. Still my opinion that over-zealous leaders on both sides of that conflict created a fiasco: a disastrous, humiliating failure. For everybody. And despite the media's spin, including all the videos I've seen on youtube and other sites, the Koresh Davidians were not trying to live any life I would espouse. That might make an interesting thread, however, something like "What life do survivalists espouse after something really bad triggers TEOTWAWKI?" My guess is that the many differences between even family and friends would make it difficult to agree on the kind of life we would strive to create under those conditions. Just one more reason why I think it is vital to hook up with like-minded people now rather than later. And once again, there's the rub: like-minded. How different can we be and still cooperate for a common goal?

Comment

BOL long term......remote, water available, possibly near land that can grow crops. disturb the area as little as possible, you will want to be invisible, multiple access routes in and out.
          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyportne View Post
            .... Still my opinion that over-zealous leaders on both sides
            Well .... if ya factor in our Constitution and pay particular attention to the Bill of Rights section ....

YOUR govmnt is conducting executions of OUR fellow citizens without the benefit of trial and jury for possible infractions that had they come to trial may well have been subject to jury nullification.

Zealot? Koresh may have been a peculiar sort but as to my understanding of the definition, a zealot he was not.

O.W.
            Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Well .... if ya factor in our Constitution and pay particular attention to the Bill of Rights section ....

YOUR govmnt is conducting executions of OUR fellow citizens without the benefit of trial and jury for possible infractions that had they come to trial may well have been subject to jury nullification.

Zealot? Koresh may have been a peculiar sort but as to my understanding of the definition, a zealot he was not.

O.W.
              Oscar, Not sure what the Constitution counts for anymore. America has made a bad habit of electing to positions of power those that have sought the positions out (career politicians) and they truely are the ones least qualified for the jobs. Sheep go where the grazing is easiest and only react when the wolf is after them. The number of sheepdogs seems to be shrinking. The sheep now protest and profane the sheepdogs funerals. If SHTF there will be a culling as the wolves run free for awhile............Can't decide if SHTF is a bad thing or not anymore. Must be tired. Peace Out!!
              Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
                Not sure what the Constitution counts for anymore .... Can't decide if SHTF is a bad thing or not anymore. Must be tired. Peace Out!!
                Dale, I'm not certain that it ever did .... selective application at best. I don't think anarchy could ever be a good thing .... but divine intervention aside, would be bout the only thing that could lead to course reversal.

O.W.

Comment

Dale, I'm not certain that it ever did .... selective application at best. I don't think anarchy could ever be a good thing .... but divine intervention aside, would be bout the only thing that could lead to course reversal.

O.W.
                  Oscar, looking forward to divine intervention.
                  Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
                    Oscar, looking forward to divine intervention.
                    You and me both Brother .... the "club" is growing.

O.W.

Comment

I have just finish reading all the great comments that people have put out for us all to take in digest and make our own decisions. I do have 3 comments. I'm retired military E-7 (GySgt), with 21 years service in the US Marine Corps

1. Military leadership stress: take care of your troops. You as a leader do not get special privileges, you do not sleep before the troops sleep, and sure as shit you do not eat before your troops eat, You lead from the front; that is what a leader does.

2. Any base commander who would try to break away from the central government would soon find themselves behind bars. Every member of the command knows the basis of military law. its drilled into them from day one in boot camp.

3. If SHTF to the point that there is no central government, then even the troops will leave the bases to find their way home to their own families. They just will travel in a better position to defend themselves. As stated they have the big guns, tanks, armored transport, rifles and a whole lot of ammo!

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post

2. Any base commander who would try to break away from the central government would soon find themselves behind bars. Every member of the command knows the basis of military law. its drilled into them from day one in boot camp.
                        And then there is the apparently overlooked or forgotten, by the upper echelon, "refusal to follow unlawful orders", although some of our junior troops have suffered greatly, the consequences for doing so.

It will take an individual of uncommon character to utilize the resources available to implement the brute force strategy commonly employed throughout the rest of the world to regain control of our little piece of heaven.

O.W.

Comment

Buggyout - You are very fortunate, and I think spot on in your assessment. The base sounds like an ideal place to be. I do have a couple of questions. 1. Would it be a target from enemies foreign and domestic i.e. would it be bombed? 2. If the Commander in Chief gave an order, albeit a 180 degree wrong order, would they follow, and leave you in the lurch?

My first option is to bug in. Everything I own is there. I know everybody there. I am comfortable there. I am close to a hospital, and have two family members who require maintenance medication. Even if my house was blown off of the foundation, or burned to the ground, I would camp on MY property, and protect what was left from looters.

The temperature is moderate. We can raise some crops even in a suburban setting. We have plenty of water with fish and game.

That should be your first decision when prepping: Do I bug in or out? For me it is in.
                          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

On Key Factors for a BOL and/or a place to lay up for the night...

Observation and Fields of Fire, Cover and Concealment,
                            Obstacles (man made and natural), Key or Decisive Terrain, Avenues of Approach

Posted : Monday, January 01, 1900

Observation and Fields of Fire
                            Cover and Concealment
                            Obstacles (man made and natural)
                            Key or Decisive Terrain
                            Avenues of Approach

All of these factors must be analyzed in light of

the mission of the unit
                            the type operation
                            the level of command
                            the composition of forces involved
                            the weapons and equipment expected to be encountered

1. Observation and Fields of Fire

The evaluation of observation and fields of fire allows you to-

Identify potential engagement areas
                            Identify defensible terrain and weapons system positions.
                            Identify where maneuvering forces are most vulnerable to observation and fires.

Observation

Observation is the ability to see over a particular area to acquire targets.

"Visibility" is weather dependent or is a temporary phenomena. Observation, on the other hand, is terrain dependent and is relatively permanent. Generally, the best observation is obtained from the highest terrain in an area.

Fields of Fire

The area a weapon can cover effectively from a given point
                            Fires can be of two basic types

Direct fire weapons like machine guns, rifles, and TOW weapon systems which require direct line of sight to their targets.
                            Indirect fire weapons such as mortars and artillery
                            Observation and fields of fire are not the same. You may be able to see 25 km, but if all you see are armed with a rifle, then your fields of fire will probably be limited to something like 500 meters.

2. Cover and Concealment

Cover

The protection from the effects of weapons fires, direct, indirect, and air to ground.

Certain aspects of the terrain may provide good cover from some fires, while some may provide cover from only one of these types.

Concealment

Protection from observation, either from the air or from the ground or both.

Examples:

slope
                            vegetation
                            built up areas

Remember that cover can be used to protect a force from the effects of direct and indirect fires. Also it can, in some cases, be used to protect a force from observation. If this is the case, then the object providing cover is also providing concealment. But cover and concealment do not always equate.

If an attacking force can move forward under concealment, the chances of achieving surprise increase. Concealed and covered approach routes are important to reconnaissance units, dismounted infantry, and insurgent or terrorist forces.

Defending forces seek to defend in an area which offers both concealment and cover to themselves but which does not provide covered approaches for the threat

3. Obstacles

Any natural or manmade terrain feature that stops, impedes, slows, or diverts movement.

Examples:

buildings, steep slopes, rivers, lakes, forests, deserts, swamps, jungles, cities, minefield, trenches, andmilitary wire obstacles

Things to look for:

Vegetation (tree spacing and trunk diameter).
                            Surface drainage (stream width, depth, velocity, bank slope, and height).
                            Surface materials (soil types and conditions that affect mobility).
                            Surface configuration (slopes that affect mobility).
                            Obstacles (natural and manmade; consider obstacles to flight as well as ground mobility).
                            Transportation systems (bridge classifications and road characteristics such as curve,radius, slopes, and width)
                            Effects of actual or projected weather such as heavy precipitation or snow over.

4. Key or Decisive Terrain

Some terrain feature (natural or manmade) which, if controlled, will give a marked advantage to whoever controls it.
                            Often selected for use as battle positions or objectives
                            Echelon of command, mission, enemy, and situation dependent.
                            To designate terrain as decisive is to recognize that the mission depends on seizing or retaining it.
                            Key or decisive terrain must be controlled, not necessarily occupied. It may be controlled by either fires or maneuver.

examples:

a bridge over an unfordable river which gives access to the opposite shore without requiring an assault crossing.
                            a level clearing in rough terrain which is the only accessible landing field for airmobile operations
                            if you identify only one valid avenue of approach to the command's objective, then the choke points on that avenue will probably become key terrain (compared to a situation where several AAs are available).

5. Avenues of Approach (AoA)

An AoA is an air or ground route of an attacking force of a given size leading to its objective or to key terrain in its path.

Comment

We are lucky to live in an area that not as populated as in some places , we have a great number of places nearby that offer seclusion , game and fertile land for farming and stock.
                              The place we have picked out is fed by two natural streams , has a nice flat area about two acres and is hidden far from the small road that leads to the base of the mountain range.
                              Two in the head and you know they are dead :cool:

Comment

Recently discharged? I'm guessing.

Comment

Working...
                                X