Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omegaman
    replied
    I work as a tech at an archery proshop. So here is what I tell everyone " test fire every bow make and model that you can get your hands on" I have shot Hoyt for the last 3 years does that make it the best bow? Nope, it is the bow the works best for me. When you look at the top 3 makers ( Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech/Diamond ) based on sales. You really can't make a bad choice. Thats why I say shoot some to see which feels best to you ( draw cycle, valley and wall ) and most important get messured in fitted by a pro-shop then you know what your true draw length is. Because the new short ATA bows are not your old finger shooters. So as not to up set anyone, there are many other bow makers out there that make pretty darn good bows also. But the main thing for me is in a SHTF time with the new compound bows you will need some form of bow press to work on them, that is why I have a couple of recurves as back ups.

Leave a comment:

• westaylor
    replied
    I don't have any advise but I just wanted back you up on your archery idea. I have been thinking that that may be a better survival tool then a gun. Its quiet so no onw knows your around and you can always make your own arrows if you need to.

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    Been doing some research. Thinking about getting myself a bow within the next month. I've looked at used ones, but they all seem to have something that i would change, and even a new string can bumpt the price up to what a new bow costs....then there's the set up to fit "me". I need 30-31" of draw length, which knocks alot of the used bows out (I guess I'm odd with my long arms).
    I thought I wanted (needed) a single cam, but I'm not so shure. I'm now looking at the Bowtech line..the Admiral, Sniper, and SWAT...and the new Diamond Iceman. All seem to be great bows from the reviews...but dang they ain't cheap!
    I really want a short bow, and the Bowtech Sniper and SWAT are available as "packages" that include basically the same items that I would buy off the shelf to rig whatever I get...looks like the package deals would save me quite a bit of money too.
    Any advice? I haven't bought a bow in over 12 years.

Leave a comment:

• cudalyon
    replied
    Shooting moving targets is tough. I have yet to get one of the neighbors cats, but I keep trying!

Leave a comment:

• shadowwalker
    replied
    I bow hunted for years. And until rotator cuff sugery I used to practice weekly or dailey. That was in 2004. I couldn't pull back my self bows or recurve. I got rid of all of them. DUH. I was alittle P.O.d at not recovering well. It took a compound bow at a garage sale and all last summer, oh and I had to change shooting eyes and shoulders! Try that one just for fun. I still can't hold the bow at full draw on with the operated shoulder. I tried the wifes crossbow and did well but it was different, just different.
    I didn't get any game as here I wasn't elegeable to hunt as a resident.
    The good thing about wyoming hunting is I can go out in alot of areas for archery and gun in the same week off. So if I can't get um closeup,in a day or two I'll get um alittle farther out.

Leave a comment:

• The One
    replied
    Originally posted by flight or fight View Post
    Thanks for the offer but i'm about 3 1/2 hours away from you. Of course if you are free during the last week of June i could come by while we are at White Lake and i'm bored out of my mind.
    Well have to see you never know.

Leave a comment:

• flight or fight
    replied
    Thanks for the offer but i'm about 3 1/2 hours away from you. Of course if you are free during the last week of June i could come by while we are at White Lake and i'm bored out of my mind.

Leave a comment:

• The One
    replied
    Originally posted by flight or fight View Post
    I really wish i knew someone who could teach me how to use a bow. I have taught Cub Scouts to hit a 3 foot target at 10 feet but that is a whole different critter from being able to take out a deer at 50 yards.
    What part of nc cound help if interested.

Leave a comment:

• The One
    replied
    I shoot archery

I shoot a Bowtech Allegiance compound bow and also a old traditional recurve bow. Both form of shooting are very fun but fundamentally differnt from one another.

I use to shoot tournament archery with a bowtech pro40 but gave that up a few years ago and now just hunt and shoot for fun.

Leave a comment:

• Omegaman
    replied
    Crossbows are nice but they a darn heavy more then my rifle. And compared to a bow they make a ton of noise and are wicked slow for a follow up shot. I do think they have their place though. When setting a new customer up with a cross bow the 2 comments you always hear are "man that is heavy and a lot louder then I thought". I always tell them you have seen to many movies in which they don't make any noise and they shoot a person out of a tower at 100 yards:eek: Like any tool you have to know its intended use.

Leave a comment:

• TheUnboundOne
    replied
    Omegaman,

I took archery as one of my mandatory PE classes in college, but never shot at a moving target. Must get that experience soon.

Leave a comment:

• Omegaman
    replied
    If you go single cam I would go with a Mathews solo cam. All of their pre 2008 bows are buttery smooth and forgiving. My choice would be the switchback or the switchback xt. Now is a good time to buy a used bow because the economy is in the crapper guys are dumping their bows for short money. Heck shops are even blowing out the last years bow models.

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    I started out years ago with a Bear One Cam....I could shoot the crap out of that bow but it lacked FPS. I missed deer every possible way that you can miss them with that bow. No excuses, I didn't get "buck fever"...I just missed!
    Then I sold it and got a Jennings Buckmaster. A fine, top of the line bow in it's time. Never could shoot it as well as I could the Bear at non-living targets.
    I'm ready to get back into it, but I want a compact, single cam bow. They sure have gone up in price over the years!...but with let-off of 80% now!
    I now live on a piece of land that I can pratice every day on...at every angle...from any position....so I'm ready to buy again!

Leave a comment:

• flight or fight
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    I'd like to be more than "lucky" when I bowhunt.....most of my "confirmed kills" were no more than having a target turn (just as I fired), actually stepping into my shot....plus: I can't hit "air" past about 30 yds....at least not on purpose...:(
    LOL

I am thinking about getting a good Barrett crossbow with a scope.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    I'd like to be more than "lucky" when I bowhunt.....most of my "confirmed kills" were no more than having a target turn (just as I fired), actually stepping into my shot....plus: I can't hit "air" past about 30 yds....at least not on purpose...:(

Leave a comment:

Working...
X