Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Some of Your Favorite Doomsday Novels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoss6193
    started a topic What Are Some of Your Favorite Doomsday Novels?

What Are Some of Your Favorite Doomsday Novels?

Many a doomsday novel contains more than just a rainy afternoon's idle entertainment. Some of them posses anywhere from a handful to a hatful of "survival nuggets" well worth the mining!

I cobbled the list below together for a webpage I built back in ought seven. Personal lists on any subject are all just that, "personal". But I'd sure like any suggestions that would greatly expand on this list.

Here's A List of Two Dozen of My Favorite
    "End of Civilization /Mankind" Novels

By Mr. Cary C. Jeffries

The titles below are listed in order of my preference. Where ever you see a price, it will be the publisher's current (as of 2007) suggested retail price for the "Mass Market" (4" by 7" paperback) edition of that book. OOP = Out of Print

1.) Out of The Ashes By William W. Johnstone - $5.99
    2.) Fire In The Ashes By William W. Johnstone - $5.99
    3.) Emergence By David R. Palmer - OOP
    4.) The Postman By David Brin - $7.99
    5.) Lucifer's Hammer By Jerry Pournelle & Larry Niven - $7.99
    6.) Alas Babylon By Pat Frank - OOP
    7.) On The Beach By Nevil Shute - OOP
    8.) Earth Abides By George R. Stewart - OOP
    9.) The Stand: The Expanded Edition By Stephen King - $8.99
    10.) Atlas Shrugged By Ayn Rand - OOP
    11.) The HAB Theory Allan W. Eckert - OOP
    12.) Tunnel In The Sky By Robert A. Heinlein
    13.) A Canticle For Leibowitz By Walter M. Miller Jr. OOP
    14.) The Man In The High Castle By Phillip K. Dick - OOP
    15.) The Puppet Masters By Robert A. Heinlein - OOP
    16.) Fail Safe By Eugene Burdick & Harvey Wheeler - OOP
    17.) The Long Tomorrow By Leigh Bracket - OOP
    18.) Red Storm Rising By Tom Clancy - $7.99
    19.) War Day By Whitley Streiber & James Kunetka - OOP
    20.) The White Plague By Frank Herbert - OOP
    21.) I Am Legend By Richard Mattheson - $7.99
    22.) War of The Worlds By H. G. Wells - $4.99
    23.) Farnam's Freehold By Robert A. Heinlein - OOP
    24.) Earthwreck By Thomas N. Scortia - OOP

The first two novels in the above list are also the first two volumes in the thirty-four volume post-nuclear holocaust series written by the late great William W. Johnstone. Known simply as "The Ashes" series, they represent one of the most controversial pile of paperbacks that you're ever likely to see. Mr. Johnstone makes Rush Limbaugh look like a piker when it comes to his disdain for liberals in general, and the liberal mindset in particular. And since "most" of this country's news and entertainment media have been just left of Marx for longer than the last half of my fifty-four years, you can just bet what they thought and still think about Mr. Johnstone!

Note: Since I compiled this list a several of years ago, several of these titles have come back into print, while several of them have disappeared. You'll just have to do a book search to find out what's currently available. But I have yet to fail finding a good used reasonably price copy of any book by using a amazon dot com book title search.

Three major motion pictures were made from the twenty-first title from the above list. The first was "The Last Man On Earth (1964)" staring Vincent Price. The second was "The Omega Man (1971)", staring Charlton Heston. And the most recent version, "I Am Legend (2007)" staring Will Smith. It is my humble opinion that if taken in the context of the decades in which each was released, all three were very good films and should be in anybody's video library.

On the subject of books, we're running a "Springtime Special" on all of our survival/preparedness books and DVDs that will last until midnight of the last day of this month. Anyone interested can go to
    survivalplus dot com and click the first link at the top of this homepage.

All The Best To 1 & All,
    Cary Jeffries
    Last edited by Hoss6193; 03-11-2012, 04:14 PM.

• CountryGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickey D View Post
    If anyone is interested and follow FB, there is a group of authors that have a private group you can request to join. Great information on books and prepping.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DD12army/
    Thanks, sent my join request and look forward to checking out their works

Leave a comment:

• Mickey D
    replied
    If anyone is interested and follow FB, there is a group of authors that have a private group you can request to join. Great information on books and prepping.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DD12army/

Leave a comment:

• Mickey D
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
    One Second After by William Forstchen is excellent. I believe he has written sequels to it as well. There is an audio book series on You Tube that starts with Going Home by A. American. There are three or four books in the series, and they are all quite good. IMHO all of these capture the end of life as we know it.
    The Home series by A. American is excellent! There are 9 books in the series with #10 in the works.

Leave a comment:

• Illini Warrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Preppersgab View Post
    Lucifers hammer

what I like about Lucifer's Hammer more than anything is the character development - great pre-SHTF insight into the novel's main characters and then their survival ....

Leave a comment:

• Preppersgab
    replied
    Lucifers hammer

Leave a comment:

• Illini Warrior
    replied
    Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
    I loved that Survivors series, i watched it on my Roku, think on Netflix, the other year. The BBC does some great production and series. I also love that it's not a 30 minute show with 12 minutes of show and 18 minutes of commercials. Sad to see they ended the series where they did and it didn't continue.

Kind of off topic but BBC did a Sherlock series that is really great too.

sounds like you watched the newer revised Survivors series - only a couple of seasons and PCed to death - but still good ...

the original series (1975) has more episodes/year and lasted like 4-5 seasons - I think alot more realistic overall ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VL7...nHSIQBmbL87aeg

weird little BBC series The Last Train - Dr Who meets The Walking Dead - could have been a great long running series with some push ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJG_qZ_HL8
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CountryGuy
    replied
    I loved that Survivors series, i watched it on my Roku, think on Netflix, the other year. The BBC does some great production and series. I also love that it's not a 30 minute show with 12 minutes of show and 18 minutes of commercials. Sad to see they ended the series where they did and it didn't continue.

Kind of off topic but BBC did a Sherlock series that is really great too.

Leave a comment:

• Illini Warrior
    replied
    great oldie PAW lit if you can find a copy ....

Siege - Edwin Corley

Survivors - Terry Nation (BBC TV series based on book)

Dhalgren - Samuel R. Delany

Defiance - Oliver Lange

Vandenberg - Oliver Lange (1st version of Defiance)

Leave a comment:

• LukeFederline
    replied
    Originally posted by bushwhacker208 View Post
    I liked:
    World War Z
    I am Legend
    The Road
    War of the Worlds
    All are great movie adaptations as well. I love them!

Leave a comment:

• Morgan101
    replied
    I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to struggle through typos and poor grammar. I had proper English, spelling, grammar et. al. beaten into me by nuns for eight years, Someone who is writing professionally should do that as a minimum, and as CG said, you wouldn't have to break the bank with a professional editor. Let the local English teacher take a look and clean up the mess. That would probably improve the work considerably.

Leave a comment:

• CountryGuy
    replied
    I'll have to check her out. I can deal with typos but it's the paragraph or sentence chopped off mid thought, or you can tell from one paragraph to the next at least one or more paragraphs are missing and you have to jump in your mind and assume what they may have been trying to tell you. or maybe a few pages will get so choppy and jumping back and forth or ideas totally missing to the point you have to reread it 2 or 3 times trying to guess at what they were trying to convey. That is sloppy and doesn't require professional edit. I'm not an edit snob but for the love of all that is Holy can they give it to some family and friends to read and suggest edit corrections. As for typos, what can you write in today that doesn't have spell check of some sort, heck this little comment window does, thankfully. I'll bet those things together would catch 95% of the issues.

Leave a comment:

• Schneb
    replied
    [...]
    Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
    The ones that drive me crazy, [...] are those authors with horrible spelling, grammar, typos and errors.
    [...]

About that--yes! Except then I'll catch myself in that same sort of error. Different though, if it's a book that's commercially published vs. a comment or email.

A glaring example: as far as I can tell, anything by Jacqueline Druga. She is great at dialogue and her characters seem true to life, and she doesn't junk things up with romantic story lines (I'd be okay with that but it seems like that's a weak point in a lot of PA story lines), but MAN, does she need an editor...which is a kind of regular drum-beat of commentary in her Amazon reviews.

That said, I bought the second in her 'Three Miles Out' set of books because the first was good enough that I was hooked.

I liked that she didn't try to spin it out endlessly, too, with a 3rd, 4th and so on, in the series.

And there's something about her style and website and such that sort of makes a statement (as far as I saw it, at least) to the effect of her just telling stories and putting them out there and not getting caught up in a professional level of publishing. She's a single mom/grandma according to her website and seems to be just a natural story teller who's found a way to put her ideas down in writing and share them out to the world via Amazon.

The teacher in me wants her to go back and fix the glitches in her writing, but I sort of like the idea of someone breaking through the usual layers/barriers of publishing and getting to share their talent and earn an income from doing so. I've only read 2 of her books (from one series) but looking at descriptions of the others, seems like she's kind of focused on the idea of a plague/etc. that basically culls the world's population. Maybe she branches out into other ideas in books I haven't looked at.

I'd add her to the list but with a big warning about the typos and such.

Leave a comment:

• CountryGuy
    replied
    Can't believe I overlooked One Second After - I have it here on my shelf in paperback. The Going Home series was great and there was another one I'm trying to remember, was at least 8 or 9 books in it. Took place in like SW, Arizona to Texas... I'll need to scroll thru my Kindle collection and see if I can find it. Story kept going but I noticed the books got shorter and the price went higher. Sorry I'm not paying 5-8 bucks for a 110-150 pg installment. I'm sure some of these authors are under the gun to shove out the next installment and to get the next pay check but they have to maintain some sort of integrity. make it a 300+ page sequel and I'll pay that money for it if the book and storyline are quality and hold my interest.

The ones that drive me crazy, and luckily it's usually free ones, are those authors with horrible spelling, grammar, typos and errors. Like those that don't seem to know the difference between to, too and two or here and hear though that isn't as big a bother as a sentence or paragraph that is totally chopped and makes zero sense but they didn't notice it or if they did they didn't bother to read what they actually wrote, vs what they had intended to write. i honestly think they get done, push back and go "yep, done". If they would sit down and read it from start to finish with a highligther and pencil in hand, and actually read the words and not skim it as they think they wrote it they could catch a lot of their own errors before they publish.

OK off my soapbox
    Last edited by CountryGuy; 01-09-2018, 11:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan101
    replied
    One Second After by William Forstchen is excellent. I believe he has written sequels to it as well. There is an audio book series on You Tube that starts with Going Home by A. American. There are three or four books in the series, and they are all quite good. IMHO all of these capture the end of life as we know it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X