Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your specialty?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's your specialty?

    Sometimes I wonder...In a post disaster scenario, what will you have mastered that will actually make you useful in the aftermath? Will your skill be helpful to others, or just yourself? Will you have mastered it enough to teach it to others?

    I guess it's like...should all the great professors fall, will there be anyone left with sufficient knowledge to rebirt an art or skill?

    Things that make you go, "Hmmm".....
    8
    Hunting/fishing....I like to eat!
    37.50%
    3
    Gardening/farming...I like to eat, too!
    25.00%
    2
    Navigation...I hate being lost all the time.
    0.00%
    0
    Combat tech...I'm tired of getting picked on!
    0.00%
    0
    Communications...I'm a natural chatterbox.
    12.50%
    1
    Medical/first-aid...I don't wanna die!
    25.00%
    2
    "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

  • #2
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    Sometimes I wonder...In a post disaster scenario, what will you have mastered that will actually make you useful in the aftermath? Will your skill be helpful to others, or just yourself? Will you have mastered it enough to teach it to others?

    I guess it's like...should all the great professors fall, will there be anyone left with sufficient knowledge to rebirt an art or skill?

    Things that make you go, "Hmmm".....
    I have a degree in Central European History-pre 1400. So, yes. I have knowlege to pass on. Every great society in history has built itself on previous great societies. The Romans on the Greeks, Europeans upon the Romans, the US on the Greeks, and some say the Greeks on the Atlantians. I would suggest this has gone of a lot longer then written history teaches us.

    I also have a great set of survival skills and know many "outdoorsy" things.

    Comment


    • #3
      Very cool...the ability to pass along raw knowledge is often overlooked as a necessity....kudos....and keep studying!

      While I hold a couple degrees (like most folks), I doubt I would make a good scholastic educator...so I have to stick with what I can teach.
      "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

      "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
        Very cool...the ability to pass along raw knowledge is often overlooked as a necessity....kudos....and keep studying!

        While I hold a couple degrees (like most folks), I doubt I would make a good scholastic educator...so I have to stick with what I can teach.

        Heck. I do not consider myself a scholastic educator. I have 2 degrees, but am an over-educated piece of oil trash. Besides, most history taught is schools is so polluted with politically correct B.S. that it is nothing but indoctrination.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ahh, but true mastery comes not from simply accepting instruction, but learning
          how to expand your own knowledge, through research or practical application...

          Take any art, from painting to martial arts...In any form, the student does not become the master until he recieves all instruction from his master, then endeavors to create his own modus operendi will skill, reason, and/or innovation.

          Damn...I think I might have just fallen into zen.
          "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

          "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
            Ahh, but true mastery comes not from simply accepting instruction, but learning
            how to expand your own knowledge, through research or practical application...

            Take any art, from painting to martial arts...In any form, the student does not become the master until he recieves all instruction from his master, then endeavors to create his own modus operendi will skill, reason, and/or innovation.

            Damn...I think I might have just fallen into zen.
            Yes, however the ability to adapt the knowlege inparted on oneself is a lost art. We do not teach deductive reasoning. We teach polluted facts adapted to the political theory d'jour.

            At least we can take historical events and create complete BS movies about them and present them as facts. What better way to re-write history?

            As you can tell, I hate historical revisionism.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
              Yes, however the ability to adapt the knowlege inparted on oneself is a lost art. We do not teach deductive reasoning. We teach polluted facts adapted to the political theory d'jour.

              At least we can take historical events and create complete BS movies about them and present them as facts. What better way to re-write history?

              As you can tell, I hate historical revisionism.
              Smarty-pants......
              "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

              "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
                Smarty-pants......
                See, with that attitude you will never get anyone on your friends list!!!:D

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
                  See, with that attitude you will never get anyone on your friends list!!!:D
                  Dammit!....and I was just about to invite you.....Mr. Rusty "Smarty-Pants" Shakleford.....
                  "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

                  "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
                    Dammit!....and I was just about to invite you.....Mr. Rusty "Smarty-Pants" Shakleford.....

                    I've been called Smart...but there is usually a 3 letter word that follows it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
                      I've been called Smart...but there is usually a 3 letter word that follows it.
                      Eh....it throws off the cool illiteration of the whole name.....You're all right, Rusty.
                      "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

                      "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post

                        Things that make you go, "Hmmm".....
                        hmmm is right. I think I have enough skills to get by with, but really could not say I am proficient at any of them. I do not know weapons, anything more than the most basic first aid is beyond me. I've never really gardened or hunted, wouldn't recognize edible plants vs poisonous. (but I'm trying to learn all it). I can build fire, but build shelter? Probably not.

                        if "the great professors all fall", don't look at me. I'm interested in colonial times and skills, but could not teach the history. math and science? well, I can add and subtract and know the scientific method- but math needed for engineering, and the periodic table of elements, not my forte.

                        In a SHTF situation, I don't think I'd be liability, 'cause I can do a little bit of many things. I'm bossy enough to be a leader, but know my limitations well enough that I could recognize when someone is more qualified than I am.
                        "Be Excellent to Each Other"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, I for one, have noticed that you seem to be very interested in foodstuffs and storage....maybe you just found your specialty?

                          BTW...my State-side spec. is structural carpentry. My alter-ego is a logistics spec.
                          "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

                          "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I suppose you could call me a "Jack of all trades" and a master of only one. I know sheet metal layout and fabrication backwards and forwards, not certified..but I know how to weld with MIG. TIG, and stick. I like to consider myself a carpenter, but I tend to overbuild...the perfectionist in me I suppose.
                            Other than mechanical skills, I've evolved into the type of person that can make instant decisions when needed, prefering to lead rather than follow. This can be a fault, due to the fact that I have a natural need to do things "right" and "efficiently", and usually can't even be involved in doing anything "halfway right" unless it really really doesn't matter. I don't do well with wasting time either...do it right...do it now...get it done! I do encourage my employees to offer up their ideas, two heads are better than one as long as they can merge.
                            If I'm the "helper" (due to a more knowledgable leader) I strive to be the best helper that he/she has ever seen...trying to think ahead always. Standing around with my hands in my pockets would drive me nuts! I constantly ask my self..."what will we need next?"
                            The internet has been a huge blessing to me! I love to research anything and everything, I'm constantly searching for knowledge.
                            In summary...I can lead...I can fabricate/weld...and I can follow, but if I follow...you'd better be at least as fast as me....LOL!
                            I can't think of a tool that I don't know how to use

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm a master tinkerer :)
                              Also a good squirrel... can hide acorns.
                              Good enough at math to teach kids, know enough about my religion
                              to pass it on.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X