X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domdabears
    replied
    Originally posted by Echo2 View Post
    The biggest fear is when something does happen.....you essentially have a mantle of God thrust upon you....who will you save?....who will you let perish?

The others around you will ask these questions of you.....don't doubt it for a second.

It may be boring to them now....not after.....
    lol I know.
    I've already thought of the, "I told you so" speech.

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    Originally posted by Domdabears View Post
    Yeah, I don't have a "survival group".
    Just family and friends.
    No one really is interested in this.
    This is a hobby/interest of mine. Everyone else just thinks it's boring.
    I'm not gonna change anyone's beliefs.
    The biggest fear is when something does happen.....you essentially have a mantle of God thrust upon you....who will you save?....who will you let perish?

The others around you will ask these questions of you.....don't doubt it for a second.

It may be boring to them now....not after.....

Leave a comment:

• Domdabears
    replied
    Yeah, I don't have a "survival group".
    Just family and friends.
    No one really is interested in this.
    This is a hobby/interest of mine. Everyone else just thinks it's boring.
    I'm not gonna change anyone's beliefs.

Leave a comment:

• cbprice797
    replied
    Amen Echo.

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    yup....doesn't matter why the prep....as long as they prep....

Leave a comment:

• hford
    replied
    I have taken an even more round-about path when talking to my family. I told my mom I was building my pantry up. She has started couponing on a small scale, and I told her she would get much better deals if she bought food when it was on sale, and items that would last longer on the shelf, like beans and rice. I told her that it helped when money was tight, and the "just in case of snow or bad weather times" to have a well stocked pantry. And since you have all that beans and rice, why not get a vacuum sealer? I then talked my dad into a dehydrater for making jerky and for his fruit trees and vegetables. Because it would be a shame to waste all that food. :) I have basically started them prepping under the pretense of saving money. And it works! It's also helped me getting started. I look for things on sale for all of us. I always pick up an extra bag of whatever looks good, or TP....ne ways, just saying I like the sneak method. :) My mom looks no further than today, and this makes me feel better knowing that they are even a little better off. Helping them help us.

Leave a comment:

• Long_Hunter
    replied
    Oldsoldier- you are in Florida- start with Hurricane preps and what is necessary to get through the second and third order effects of a CAT V strike. I have used this approach at the end of crime stopper meetings asking folks to stay after that were interested in learning more. The tornadoes and floods this spring have put the light in a lot of folks eyes, you just need to give them something to see.

Long Hunter
    RLTW!

Leave a comment:

• cbprice797
    replied
    The only relative I have near me, within 800 miles, is my mother. Just a few of years ago trying to convince her that "trying" times were coming would have been like spitting into the wind. But by late 2008 and early in 2009 I had finally convinced her of the coming crisis. It also helped that she was a real estate agent and saw the coming foreclosure crisis looming, she had sold lots of those foreclosures herself.

In February she bought an upright freezer, I have a generator with fuel set aside to kepp the food frozen. In less than 3 months she had filled it with meats that I had vacuum packed for her. During this time she also started buying TP, paper towels, soap, clothes detergent(the big boxes of Purex that lasts about 1 month), cases of veggies and fruits, instant coffee along with lots of other stuff.

Starting late last year she started wanting to move back to Alabama, all of our family is there. We have enough of them that we could have a fairly good core group. We would have a kick ass farmer pair in my aunt and uncle. Last summer they canned nearly 200 QUARTS of vaious veggies last summer alone, they also did alot of pimts too. My uncle had killed a deer and they canned and smoked all of it. Their storeroom is an amazing sigt. Another uncle has a fair amount of food and enough guns to arm a group of 10 or so with a rifle and sidearm along with plenty of ammo. The best thing about them is that he had bought them all from individuals over the years. Anyway I have told my mom that I will go in with her to either build or buy a house in Alabama.

It will be back up in the hills in the country near all our relatives, hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    Long ago....a neighbor wanted to pull power off my generator after a power outage. I told him that was fine.....how much gas did he have.....he had 2 gallons.....from summer.

The cord he brought over was a 100 ft long and 14 ga....and no ground pin.

I pulled out two 100 ft 10 ga cord with a 3 way hydra....I told him that he may use it....but don't draw more than 15 amps....or it'd kick the breaker.

Take a guess what happened next....

When he came over to see why he had no power....I explained to him that he could not run the microwave, coffee pot, and entertainment center all at the same time.The look he gave me was as if the wheel was spinning but the hamster was dead.

Finally I just said one item at a time....period.

Now I pull the generator around to the other side of the house and plug into my exterior hook up.....and ..."errrr...sorry man....forgot my big cords....."

Sometimes you just can't reach some folks.....and some of them you just don't want to.

Leave a comment:

• TennOutdoors
    replied
    considering most of the looks I get when I mention stocking up extra food and some gear for a disaster. I dont tend to bother bring it up with most people.

the last hurricane I went thru should have taught the people I know to do so, since they used me to get them around in my snorkeled scout or canoe after the area flooded. and ate my food. but nope as soon as things returned to normal, they were back to blowing cash on MP3 players, Ipods, Xboxes and what ever else was the fad of the day. no amount of conversation got thru to them that it could and would happen again.

When I bartended, most of my regulars couldnt understand what appeal I found in spending my free time in the woods, offroading, horseback riding, hiking or canoeing.

one Woman asked me if I was trying to show how manly I was by doing stuff like that. LOL.

Ive also gotten alot of " man thats a beautiful area, Id love to see that in person" by people looking at my pictures. then look at me like Im crazy when I tell them how far I had to go into the woods to get those pictures LOL.

funny though how after all those hurricanes, there were alot of rich women divorcing rich husbands with no life skills and started dating men who could actually fix things and deal well with emergencies.

Leave a comment:

• Stitch
    replied
    Where I live getting people into the woods is a challange. A few years ago I bumped into one of the female bar tenders from a bar I worked security whlie stationed in Yuma. I told her how great the geography was here, about the waterfall, local swimming holes, etc. She looked at me like an insect and said "I don't go to the woods." She has a set of bolt-ons and manicured nails.

My wife and I have taken a few tracking classes, some private & one through the local community college from the same guy. At one point he decided to have an invite only trip for people that had previously taken at least one of his classes. Twelve people were invited. My wife & I were the only ones that showed up.

I guess the people where I live rather smoke dope and play guitar hero.

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    Originally posted by oldsoldier View Post
    To a close relative or long time friend about joining your survival group?
    No .... no group here. When the ocassion arises I do talk with folks regarding current events and the effect on us as a society and individually and the possible solutions to potential problems. Some folks are on their game, some clueless but receptive, others look at me as if I had a third eye.

I would not be actively "recruiting". Let the discussion topic lead them.

O.W.

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    I've done a few prepping seminars...and worked as a consultant for a couple families.

The way you word everything is the difference between looking like a nut job or a Boy Scout.....(I prefer the Scout....:)...)....even if the end goal is the same.

I've had prepper folks ask why I bothered trying to get others (sheeple) to prep....the answer is simple.....it will be one less person I have to worry about if the SHTF.

Leave a comment:

• oldsoldier
    replied
    You're right Echo2 that approach of having supplies on hand is a good one compared to the more direct route in trying to talk to others about survival. Another thing I didn't mention before is personalities. As things stand now my group is better off because there would be clashes within all 8 possible people I am positive. With the group as is not too much.

In any isolation situation that is something I'm going to consider because it could go a year maybe more. For a few months I could handle squabbles. In any event my RSVPs are over lol. If it comes to be more people somehow so be it.

I think you know as I and others here do, our country has had it too soft for too long and just not seen the other side of life. There's just no talking to people in many cases and minimal in others who aren't like minded. Thanks for the good reply it's right on the money.

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    Talking to someone about "survival"...will turn most off......talk to them about "preparing a bit"....usually goes better.

Wording is everything.....when you say "survival"....most get scared....they don't like to think about having to do something to survive. If you get them in on the idea of preparing to be more "comfortable"...then they may be more responsive.

Be prepared to give examples of how being prepared has helped many folks to be "comfortable" though adverse conditions.

"You wouldn't want to end up at the superdome would you?"

"What would you do if your child said they were hungry?"

You can fain to be in the same boat as they are and wouldn't know where to begin....and then start to formulate a plan.....even if you already have one enacted....Some folks like for it to be their idea....SO BE IT.....as long as they start to prepare. Once they see you have given it some real thought....they will usually see logic where logic needed.

If you can talk someone in to having enough supplies to run for a month without restocking....they are better than the other 99% of the populace.....If you can get them to 3 months.....even better.....a year....less than 1/30th of a percent have that on hand.

So don't expect miracles...just lead them to the path....you can't force them to take it.

Good luck...Echo2

Leave a comment:

Working...
X