X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo2
    replied
    Originally posted by maric View Post
    Echo, your the shizz.. I really wish your wife would join! I would love to hear her take on all this stuff!!! Could learn a lot from her...
    I've tried....She just hasn't been here yet....I'll invite her again....:)

Leave a comment:

• oldsoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by Snow Walker View Post
    I hope you do add more seeing that so much of what you said makes so much sense. It's amazing to be honest, how the small things can really pick up a persons spirit. Just look at what a soldiers communication with home can do for not only him, but also the family back home. I often think people forget about what the families go through back home.

Having plans is important, but it really is amazing to see how the best made plans can fall to pieces when everything starts going crazy.

Thanks for jumping in!
    I agree planning has it's limits though in this case it serves some purpose. Getting back to the shock of SHTF Day we need everything going for us we can have. The medic I mentioned should be the person easiest to talk to and be the best listener and observer. I suggest a list of each persons skills, strengths and weaknesses. The medic needs to have not only the ability to monitor themself but everyone. People can be very bad off and not realize it and early help is the best help.

One positive approach I think is to be in your "bunker" before the disaster strikes. People can get to assume their new roles as if the old no longer exists including the foods and work they'll do daily almost like a dry run. Then when the worst happens there already is a solid base going to minimize the difficulties of too much change at once. As a rule we don't take easily to small changes let alone the biggest.

Leave a comment:

• TennOutdoors
    replied
    Originally posted by Skyowl's Wife View Post
    Right, or when people say we need CW2. Don't they know how many people died in that bloody war??
    618,000, more than half from Pnemonia . and around 500,000 Civilians.

Leave a comment:

• Snow Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by maric View Post
    Echo, your the shizz.. I really wish your wife would join! I would love to hear her take on all this stuff!!! Could learn a lot from her...
    Good idea!

Leave a comment:

• maric
    replied
    Originally posted by Echo2 View Post
    20+.....We have a nutritionalist that has took surveys of what we commonly eat....and basically came as close to our usual diets as possible.

We have ordered most things in bulk....and are now finding that we are using more LTS in our primary diets....which is good....as not to experience stomach and intestine discomfort when we begin the transision to complete LTS foods....we regularly replenish.

We hit 1 year....and then continued to do the "buy cheap...stack deep". Buy on sale....use coupons.....what have you. We also will generally go with the $10.00 rule when shopping....that is....buy $10.00 worth of LTS food every trip to the store. If you do this....you'll find that it brings stores up to amazing levels quickly.

You always tend to hear "beans and rice"....which is good....but try eating only that for a couple weeks.....yikes....and whew...:). Spices were currency for a reason.

Look in your cabinets....buy more of that....and try to start cooking from stores...or food that is similar to stores....to make the transision easier. This is especially relavent with kids....they can be bull headed....and that is a stress that you do not need in the event...

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    That's as bad as when you hear someone say "what this country needs is a revolution.".........I ask....when has that ever faired well for the average citizen?
    Right, or when people say we need CW2. Don't they know how many people died in that bloody war??

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    Originally posted by Skyowl's Wife View Post
    I absolutely agree. I've encountered people/posters who say dumb stuff like, "Bring it, I'm ready!"

I don't think anyone truly is. Reading FerFal showed how right we are.
    That's as bad as when you hear someone say "what this country needs is a revolution.".........I ask....when has that ever faired well for the average citizen?

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    Originally posted by oldsoldier View Post
    I think people are going to underestimate the pure shock value of SHTF Day greatly.
    I absolutely agree. I've encountered people/posters who say dumb stuff like, "Bring it, I'm ready!"

I don't think anyone truly is. Reading FerFal showed how right we are.

Leave a comment:

• Snow Walker
    replied
    I think people are going to underestimate the pure shock value of SHTF Day greatly. It will be a time people start realizing that life and the world as we knew it have changed possibly forever. That's a whole lot to accept quickly and I would expect some numbing out initially before the different degrees of anxiety, depression, anger, sleeping problems and survivor guilt show up. One or more of these will affect someone in the group in different severities from mild and functioning to the other extreme of not able to function.

It might be necessary to designate one person as a psychological medic and morale officer. If that means talking in a group, bringing meds or herbs as possible for some relief of symptoms I believe it well worth it. I also see a need for SOME recreational items such as a deck of cards, scrabble etc. to get the minds off 24/7 365 we never close survival. Some books for reading would help as well. I'm in no way suggesting this to be a camping trip quite the opposite. There is going to be a need for down time for the mind during waking hours since the drastic change in lifestyle will take time to adjust to.

A very necessary topic, thanks, and let me think on it some more I'm sure I can add some ideas and suggestions.
    I hope you do add more seeing that so much of what you said makes so much sense. It's amazing to be honest, how the small things can really pick up a persons spirit. Just look at what a soldiers communication with home can do for not only him, but also the family back home. I often think people forget about what the families go through back home.

Having plans is important, but it really is amazing to see how the best made plans can fall to pieces when everything starts going crazy.

Thanks for jumping in!

Leave a comment:

• Domdabears
    replied
    I think people are going to underestimate the pure shock value of SHTF Day greatly.
    Yeah I agree. Most here in the US really don't know. Unless you were in Katrina, or that town recently with the tornado.
    I know they got some kind of support, but It was the closest thing to SHTF for them.
    Luckily for me, so far it's been when the power goes out during a storm.

Leave a comment:

• oldsoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by Snow Walker View Post
    I wasn't sure of where to put this and to be honest I think it should have it's own place on the forum. Let's face it, this should open up a ton of discussion for everyone to look at and get involved in.

The will to survive is the number 1 aspect of survival and it looks like to we have a very knowlegable group of people here that should have plenty of imput, from those who have seen combat to those who have honestly lived longer then some of us and can talk from experience.

If you really think about it, this is coming face to face with reality and knowing how to handle it is vital. One night in the woods alone can make you deal with your true self, so can you imagine how a pro-longed survival situation could effect us.

*PTSD, Depression, anxiety among numerous other mental health issues.
    *The loss of loved ones.
    *What will it take to push yourself?
    *Loss of access to medications for some people and/or the need for medications on a new basis because of what could affect you.
    *Panic, suicide, overwhelming fear.
    *Simply not really knowing what you are capable of until you are actually in a certain position.
    *Companionship, a shoulder to lean on.
    *The unfortunate possibility of having to take a life even if it is a legitimate life or death situation. It will affect you whether you think it will or not!
    *Lack of counselors/Docters
    *Dealing with addictions for those that have a need for anything in their life now whether it be cigarettes or illegal drugs.
    *Dealing with people who have no remorse for others.
    *Knowing how to treat someone that needs help.
    *Keeping your belief system or having to modify it.
    *Knowledge of what medications are used for what and their side affects.
    *Knowing your strengths and weakness not to mention those of people around you.
    *Pushing yourself when you think you can't go any further.
    *A childs needs vs. an adults needs.
    *Being a good listener
    *Knowing how to recognize signs in youself and others that something is wrong and/or different.

I know this type of thing is hard to talk about and can create fear in itself, but it has to be looked at and talked about. I firmly believe stepping out of your comfort zone on issues like this or even general survival skills is the only way of seeing what you are made of or capable of. The fact is we are all capable of much more then we think.

I really hope we get alot of imput here because this is so important and a chance for all of us to learn from each other.

Take Care
    I think people are going to underestimate the pure shock value of SHTF Day greatly. It will be a time people start realizing that life and the world as we knew it have changed possibly forever. That's a whole lot to accept quickly and I would expect some numbing out initially before the different degrees of anxiety, depression, anger, sleeping problems and survivor guilt show up. One or more of these will affect someone in the group in different severities from mild and functioning to the other extreme of not able to function.

It might be necessary to designate one person as a psychological medic and morale officer. If that means talking in a group, bringing meds or herbs as possible for some relief of symptoms I believe it well worth it. I also see a need for SOME recreational items such as a deck of cards, scrabble etc. to get the minds off 24/7 365 we never close survival. Some books for reading would help as well. I'm in no way suggesting this to be a camping trip quite the opposite. There is going to be a need for down time for the mind during waking hours since the drastic change in lifestyle will take time to adjust to.

A very necessary topic, thanks, and let me think on it some more I'm sure I can add some ideas and suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    Originally posted by Domdabears View Post
    Wow, really? For how many people?
    Did you get one of those E-Foods deals or something?
    20+.....We have a nutritionalist that has took surveys of what we commonly eat....and basically came as close to our usual diets as possible.

We have ordered most things in bulk....and are now finding that we are using more LTS in our primary diets....which is good....as not to experience stomach and intestine discomfort when we begin the transision to complete LTS foods....we regularly replenish.

We hit 1 year....and then continued to do the "buy cheap...stack deep". Buy on sale....use coupons.....what have you. We also will generally go with the $10.00 rule when shopping....that is....buy $10.00 worth of LTS food every trip to the store. If you do this....you'll find that it brings stores up to amazing levels quickly.

You always tend to hear "beans and rice"....which is good....but try eating only that for a couple weeks.....yikes....and whew...:). Spices were currency for a reason.

Look in your cabinets....buy more of that....and try to start cooking from stores...or food that is similar to stores....to make the transision easier. This is especially relavent with kids....they can be bull headed....and that is a stress that you do not need in the event...

Leave a comment:

• Snow Walker
    replied
    Stress is a part of life....and can come about at any point in time....

We take vacations to get away from stress....that's a bunch of bologna....it's either a bunch of fun, relaxing, or both.....wrapped up in a bunch of stress...:). You essentially take yourself out of your comfort zone and go to a place that is different....foreign if you will...to try to get away. You know that you're going to be dealing with a bunch of sheep that would freak out if they knew how you lived your day to day life.

What about the holidays?....who here has had a stress free holiday. I look forward to them.....but I look forward to them being over more.

Heck....I don't even like going to the mall...I feel like I'm on constant "over watch". How's that phrase go..."Be polite.....but have a plan to kill everyone you meet".

Living under the "O"....has increased my stress level considerably....

But all in all.....stress I feel keeps you on your toes....but when it becomes a problem....it should be dealt with accordingly.

life without stress would be boring as hell....
    Seems we see eye to eye on alot of things, especially the holidays and the whole "obozo" thing by the way which I don't even want to get started on. The wife is cooking right now and I don't want to lose my appetitte!

Leave a comment:

• Domdabears
    replied
    We have planned for a diet of an average of 3k calories a day per person....for about 18 months......gotta feed the work....
    Wow, really? For how many people?
    Did you get one of those E-Foods deals or something?

Leave a comment:

• Echo2
    replied
    Stress is a part of life....and can come about at any point in time....

We take vacations to get away from stress....that's a bunch of bologna....it's either a bunch of fun, relaxing, or both.....wrapped up in a bunch of stress...:). You essentially take yourself out of your comfort zone and go to a place that is different....foreign if you will...to try to get away. You know that you're going to be dealing with a bunch of sheep that would freak out if they knew how you lived your day to day life.

What about the holidays?....who here has had a stress free holiday. I look forward to them.....but I look forward to them being over more.

Heck....I don't even like going to the mall...I feel like I'm on constant "over watch". How's that phrase go..."Be polite.....but have a plan to kill everyone you meet".

Living under the "O"....has increased my stress level considerably....

But all in all.....stress I feel keeps you on your toes....but when it becomes a problem....it should be dealt with accordingly.

life without stress would be boring as hell....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X