No announcement yet.

testing myself.. didnt do that great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your test was a great idea. It reminds me of back in my younger years playing sports. We practiced for a couple of weeks and then had a couple of scrimmages before the actual "real" games began. Now you know what part of your game needs more practice.

I was in the same boat as you not so long ago. I've been an endurance athlete for a few years and I have great cardio and I can go and go and go. But the tradeoff is I am not built for power and my physique is nowhere near that dang diesel squirrel. lol Anyway, the typical packs I carry while doing adventure races are very lightweight and depending on how much water I'm carrying is usually less than 12 lbs. Last summer the gf and I went camping and had to backpack / hike in. We hiked about 5 miles in and my pack weighed close to 35 - 40 lbs. We carried a couple gallons of water in with us so that, a pistol, and a hatchet added some weight. Of course I also had to carry the heavy stuff to show off my manliness and my pack weighed about 3 times hers. After we set up camp we then hiked about 1/2 mile away to fill up our collapsible 5 gallon water bag. Needless to say we chose the wrong weekend to go and the temps were around 100 both days. That combined with the extra weight just about kicked my butt! We had a great time but since that weekend I have been hiking hills with some weight on my back.

Be glad you found out what area you need to work on now and not in the middle of the "big game".

My plan is to hopefully stay in place but I'm preparing for different scenarios just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
      Awesome, let us know about your progress... I bet this will do wonders for you
      Or kill me! Either way ill let ya know

Comment

or you might not let us know haha
        WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

Originally posted by PT945 View Post
          Now if you do ever try that PLEASE have SkyOwl video that for us.
          You might not want to see the video. I've seen this before and it ain't pretty. Funny, but not pretty!
          As Zombie Axe would say...
          "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

Comment

skyowl yea i'm still laughing just picking my wife doing the same i weighed in at 365 jan 1 i am now down 2 289 getting ready for last year of minor league football wife has lost 78.2 pounds since september last year we run play soft ball and the jest. Now for a good workoout start with a four wheeler at least a 300 i use a 500 push 100 yds 3 times move up to small vehicle i e jeep or the such then expedtion i do the expedtion at wal mart on sundays across the parking lot it WILL help
            the pack that plays together stays together

Comment

Year an a half ago I realized I needed to get back in my groove .... took a framed ruck and packed just basic necessities and started walking the hood. I wore heavy logging boots, level II vest and hung a 3 liter camel back from my neck, my ruck weighed about 50lbs. .... 1.5 miles and I decided to call it a night.

Did this every other night for a week .... added 5-10 lbs the next week and increased the distance a 1/4 mile. Eventually I was doing 4.5 with 90lbs .... I decided to step into the woods with this .... world of difference. If you take notice to your stride you'll see that when you walk on on a prepared surface your feet come up off the surface by about an inch .... off road you'll be doing some serious high steppin .... completely different dynamic, talk about gettin it handed to ya.

Back on my normal routine I decided to wear my regular (comparably lighter) boots .... about 3/4 of a mile from the house my left heel began to burn as though I'd suddenly developed a blister .... turned about and within 50 yards, right heel began to burn .... I was walkin on my tip toes the last hundred yards to the house. Removed my boots .... no blisters. For the next week it was very uncomfortable to walk "normally" barefoot or otherwise. Although there was no visible sign of injury I had obviously done some sort of damage.

About 12 months later I'm able to strap the ruck back on and push mow 2 acres of grass on mildly rolling terrain and back at 1.5 miles on pavement. Moral of the story .... get your gear out .... discover your weaknesses and make the necessary adjustments.

O.W.
              Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
                Year an a half ago I realized I needed to get back in my groove .... took a framed ruck and packed just basic necessities and started walking the hood. I wore heavy logging boots, level II vest and hung a 3 liter camel back from my neck, my ruck weighed about 50lbs. .... 1.5 miles and I decided to call it a night.

Did this every other night for a week .... added 5-10 lbs the next week and increased the distance a 1/4 mile. Eventually I was doing 4.5 with 90lbs .... I decided to step into the woods with this .... world of difference. If you take notice to your stride you'll see that when you walk on on a prepared surface your feet come up off the surface by about an inch .... off road you'll be doing some serious high steppin .... completely different dynamic, talk about gettin it handed to ya.

Back on my normal routine I decided to wear my regular (comparably lighter) boots .... about 3/4 of a mile from the house my left heel began to burn as though I'd suddenly developed a blister .... turned about and within 50 yards, right heel began to burn .... I was walkin on my tip toes the last hundred yards to the house. Removed my boots .... no blisters. For the next week it was very uncomfortable to walk "normally" barefoot or otherwise. Although there was no visible sign of injury I had obviously done some sort of damage.

About 12 months later I'm able to strap the ruck back on and push mow 2 acres of grass on mildly rolling terrain and back at 1.5 miles on pavement. Moral of the story .... get your gear out .... discover your weaknesses and make the necessary adjustments.

O.W.
                Great input. Thanks. I definitely know my weakness and can guarantee ill be working on it.

Comment

Better the ASP than trying to eat the dog for breakfast in front of the owners....even harder to explain that one to the authorities...

Comment

SO WHAT, your out of shape. I think alot of people are and I work on that myself. The important thing is you realize it and are doing something about it! Good for you for testing yourself.

I will always carry more gear then needed for a few reasons...

You have to know what your capable of and/or your limitations which you will only find out by putting youself to the test.

I like the extra weight because it gives me a work out.

The extra gear also gives me the opportunity to experiment with gear and see how it performs. I try all my gear out and if I don't like it it gets sold or given away. I have no use for faulty gear or something that doesn't perform to my expectations.

"The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war" Not sure who said that other then my Drill Sergeant, but he was right!!!!!!

Good thread topic!

Comment

Originally posted by Snow Walker View Post
                      SO WHAT, your out of shape. I think alot of people are and I work on that myself. The important thing is you realize it and are doing something about it! Good for you for testing yourself.

I will always carry more gear then needed for a few reasons...

You have to know what your capable of and/or your limitations which you will only find out by putting youself to the test.

I like the extra weight because it gives me a work out.

The extra gear also gives me the opportunity to experiment with gear and see how it performs. I try all my gear out and if I don't like it it gets sold or given away. I have no use for faulty gear or something that doesn't perform to my expectations.

"The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war" Not sure who said that other then my Drill Sergeant, but he was right!!!!!!

Good thread topic!
                      I've doubled the weight of my pack, still havent added any more distance to my walks, one step at a time.

Comment

I plan on staying in place as well. With that being said....I have to GET in place first. I work about 18 miles from home, so it would be a full day's walk if I couldn't drive part of the way. I plan on 25 miles by foot, because I will recon 2 miles BEFORE driving. There's no point in moving your BOV a mile or less only to get quagmired in traffic and contributing to the problem.

I currently have a Maxpedition Kodiak, which is an over built, excellent solution for a mile or two. After 10 miles it's a completely different ball game. I learned early that I need a framed pack with a support belt. However, the Kodiak is what I have.....so it's what I'll use the ONE TIME I'll need it. If you think using a gearslinger for 10 miles sucks.....try carrying your stuff in a trash bag for a mile.
                        surviveinthesuburbs.blogspot.com

Comment

I am doing about 4 miles every other night with 35 pounds. Even do it when raining, when it is warm that is, so I can use my Gore Tex pants and my old style poncho. Not losing much weigth but am noticing that I am getting my cardio in better shape,

Comment

Wondering if you wore the typical clothes and shoes you wear to work or do you keep a change and spare shoes or boots in your truck?

Originally posted by PT945 View Post
                            . I decided on 5 miles for my walk, because that's about the average distance I am away from home give or take a mile. I also wanted to do this on less than normal sleep and not having eaten breakfast, I did this to give it a SHTF Type twist.
                            I have never carried my bag on my shoulders its always in the truck .
                            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Ive never really had to ruck it much with a pack.. maybe a light backpack..(this is the Mrs- not Mr to distinguish, he'd have a WHOLE different answer being an infantryman and all) BUT, we would really hiked tons with all my pregnancies (4) We would hike an easy 6 or so miles when I was 9 months prego, with one on my hip.. Its only been recently that I am learning, and adjusting to hiking with weight on my back. Whole different ball game!!I hiked last wkend with the baby carrier, baby aboard, tough, but not as bad as I thought.. (pic FINALLY posted) lol.. and Ive learned how much I need to improve my shoulder and back strength! Ill wear my pack around the house too, just to break it in... adjustments take some time (as Im sure ya'll know) and I want it fitting right! Also, I can NOT hear enough from the MR.. pushups -pushups- pushups.. My upper body strength isnt where it should be... so, just a ladies perspective, I guess... :) Its good PT though, and it will come in handy!
                              If the zombies chase us, Im tripping you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                                Wondering if you wore the typical clothes and shoes you wear to work or do you keep a change and spare shoes or boots in your truck?
                                I was in my work boots, jeans and button down denim shirt, my usual work clothes.

Comment

Working...
                                X