Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What got you started as a Prepper, Survivalist, Doomsday kook or whatever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was always into prepping. Camping and hunting had a big roll in it. Most people around here don't have a clue.I have a family now so my preps have picked up. I worry about the current events in the world.

Comment

hurricane hugo i was in the fifth grade and we fared alright but i live in sc and it gets dam hot so i vowed for a genny when i got older and a fire place for the freak snow storm i have a months supply of food for hard times and at least that much water but thats why
      the pack that plays together stays together

Comment

I would have to say that my trigger is science and human nature. I was never a big doomsday person. Y2K didn’t get me into a survival mode. It wasn’t until I read about the Carrington event in 1859, I started getting spooked. Imagine throwing ourselves suddenly back 150 years in technology. We live in a fast food society. Everything we do is fast. Even the supermarkets have off the shelf – on the shelf stocking strategies. Food and other items are delivered to the shelves almost as soon as they are sold. Everything is maintained by a complex network of electronic communications. Disrupt the communications and you disrupt the flow supply.

The following was taken from the NASA website regarding the Carrington event:

Sunspots sketched by Richard Carrington on Sept. 1, 1859. Copyright: Royal Astronomical Society:
        On that morning, he was capturing the likeness of an enormous group of sunspots. Suddenly, before his eyes, two brilliant beads of blinding white light appeared over the sunspots, intensified rapidly, and became kidney-shaped. Realizing that he was witnessing something unprecedented and "being somewhat flurried by the surprise," Carrington later wrote, "I hastily ran to call someone to witness the exhibition with me. On returning within 60 seconds, I was mortified to find that it was already much changed and enfeebled." He and his witness watched the white spots contract to mere pinpoints and disappear.
        It was 11:23 AM. Only five minutes had passed.
        Just before dawn the next day, skies all over planet Earth erupted in red, green, and purple auroras so brilliant that newspapers could be read as easily as in daylight. Indeed, stunning auroras pulsated even at near tropical latitudes over Cuba, the Bahamas, Jamaica, El Salvador, and Hawaii. Even more disconcerting, telegraph systems worldwide went haywire. Spark discharges shocked telegraph operators and set the telegraph paper on fire. Even when telegraphers disconnected the batteries powering the lines, aurora-induced electric currents in the wires still allowed messages to be transmitted.

Here they talk about geomagnetic events (smaller than the Carrington) and the effects on our infrastructure.

"More than 35 years ago, I began drawing the attention of the space physics community to the 1859 flare and its impact on telecommunications," says Louis J. Lanzerotti, retired Distinguished Member of Technical Staff at Bell Laboratories and current editor of the journal Space Weather. He became aware of the effects of solar geomagnetic storms on terrestrial communications when a huge solar flare on August 4, 1972, knocked out long-distance telephone communication across Illinois. That event, in fact, caused AT&T to redesign its power system for transatlantic cables. A similar flare on March 13, 1989, provoked geomagnetic storms that disrupted electric power transmission from the Hydro Qu├ębec generating station in Canada, blacking out most of the province and plunging 6 million people into darkness for 9 hours; aurora-induced power surges even melted power transformers in New Jersey. In December 2005, X-rays from another solar storm disrupted satellite-to-ground communications and Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation signals for about 10 minutes. That may not sound like much, but as Lanzerotti noted, "I would not have wanted to be on a commercial airplane being guided in for a landing by GPS or on a ship being docked by GPS during that 10 minutes."

Now the same scientists are claiming the next solar cycle could produce a Carrington Event. Admittedly, our government is not prepared to deal with the potential effects of a geomagnetic storm of this magnitude.

Throw into the mix the human factor and you have one big scary mess. Geographic analysis shows that our populations have become more urbanized. That does not necessarily mean we are all living in cities. What it means we are now living closer together than our grandparents were. We are now more dependant on supply and demand and less self sufficient than our ancestors. If that chain breaks, chaos is sure to follow.

So here I am looking to you good folks for your knowledge and wisdom to help me, my family and close friends ------ Should the time come….

Comment

A simple answer to the title of this thread, What got you started as a Prepper, Survivalist, Doomsday kook or whatever? Simply put, a former Green Beret/LRRP for a father. Prepping practically started at birth in my house ;)

Comment

Working...
          X