Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unswydd
    replied
    This is a really great thread guys. Thanks for taking the time to advise. I am also pretty new at this and I have found that if I get $5.00 extra groceries every time I go to Walmart I have added nicely to the cuboards. I am pretty confident that the items I buy are necessary and will keep because I only buy "canned" foods. What ever is vacumn packed is considered "canned". There is something to be said for a person who is concerned for their family and I commend you Slim for being responsible and manning up to take care of those in your charge.
    I'm real fortunate that I live in the old Parsonage of the church I go to ( My daddy was the pastor there and now my brother), and there is a small food pantry that gets stocked once a month. When it comes in I box up a few things and take it directly downstairs where I have great canning cuboards with huge doors that can be locked. yes, I'd say I'm pretty fortunate.

Leave a comment:

• denvernative321
    replied
    When i first started putting gear together i had nothing but a few camping items laying around. now i have myself a full blown obsession. most of my money that i can spare will go to the cause in one way or another. Every time i get a little money i put it towards what i can afford. but i am good with my spending budget i will always look for the best deals and clearance items. now that i have all i could ever need and some i still buy all i can when i can.

that being said. first thing i would do is not have so many different calibers. Ammo affordability is getting a little to much to deal with these days. plus im pretty sure i dident see a .22LR weapon in that list. in a survival situation a .22 is going to be your best friend IMO. I wouldn't worry about getting everything you need over the next few months. instead i would make a little progress each day. buy what you can afford or clearance items. i dont think you will ever be satisfied with what you have even when you have everything you originally set out to get. i have been at this for years and have more than what i set out to get and dont see myself slowing down anytime soon. I would agree with O.W. it may sound stupid to make min payments but if everything does crash in the long run you will be happy you invested that extra money in gear. firearms are a good thing to have but make sure you stock up on food first before you end up having a safe full of guns for someone to take after you have starved to death in your house.

Leave a comment:

• Lil Bear
    replied
    I agree with all the advice given so far. The wife and I have been at this for a short time as well. Fortunately, the wife and I grew up in the country and are no strangers to roughing it. Some of the things we have done to have extra money to buy preps are: do not buy that candy bar or soda- instead use the money to buy 1-2 cans of food. Do not take your car to a carwash- do it your self by hand- saves both on gas, money for carwash, and is a little exercise. By the way, the wife and I have lost over 35- 40 lbs by changing our purchasing habits.

Things will start to stack up. My mother-in-law lives with us as well. She has earned her keep and enjoys sharing and teaching things from the old days. Have you thought about tutoring students at the college, maybe even putting your name in for a possible substitute for one of the evening classes? I do that from time to time.
    Last edited by Lil Bear; 05-11-2009, 11:02 PM. Reason: grammer

Leave a comment:

• hubste5
    replied
    Hi slim, I'm in a neighboring town, and in the same "stages" of thought as you are... with a spouse that considers emergency preparedness "just another hobby" of mine... it's a little tough, to say the least. When you can't get the family sold on the fact that life as they know it could cease rather quickly, and the implications of, say, not having electricity for a few weeks (for starters) cannot be imagined by them, it is very difficult. I (we) are perceived as a little "obsessed". I guess this is only fair, as I perceive them as LIABILITIES, if TSHTF!!! lol (Yea, I'll still look after them, it's my job!)
    So I'm about where you are.
    I am in pretty good shape when it comes to firearms/ammo -- I am a .22 freak (but have a 9mm, just in case). I am immediately concerned with:
    1) building/organizing a more robust medical kit, complete with "how-to" literature.
    2) picking up extra canned (and similar "storable") food, as I see good deals to snag.
    3) having an increasing amout of sealed, potable water on hand.
    4) increase supply of hygiene items

I figure you have to crawl before you can walk, so I am not so concerned with bugging out/maps/routes/plans just yet. Although they are on my mind, if I am not prepared enough to hole up in my own house for a few weeks, I won't likely do well afield, either.

I would like to gravitate toward a more simplistic lifestyle approach, but it ain't easy with teenagers and a spouse that doesn't quite get it...

Fight the good fight!

Leave a comment:

• shadowwalker
    replied
    I have some friends that go to donate Plasma twice a week. Last I heard they got $40 to $50 bucks a pop for it. After the initial set up they only spent about two hours doing it.

Leave a comment:

• slim_bob
    replied
    Thank you all

I appreciate all the replies guys. And the honesty. I new the truth was that I'm starting behind the eight ball on prepping.

The reason I asked specifically about how to earn extra on the side is because my spouse is not as sold out about preparedness as I am. Which makes it a lot easier and less of an inconvenience to others if at least a good portion of the finances used for prepping come from funds not already allocated. We also already live relatively lean. Carpool when we can. Don't eat out much. don't have cable or satalite TV. I'm wearing shorts I bought 1.5 years ago, weekend pass times normally revolve around cleaning projects or family or friends and maybe some fishing (from the shore with a pole and worms).

I'm not ready to skip payments on any accounts yet as we've already seen a few close calls as far as the overall economy goes lately yet it keeps bouncing back. I've decided that I won't be able to time the collapse, we'll just know it when it happens.

I'm also of the opinion that even though a collapse could happen at any time (and I thought for sure we'd see hyperinflation with the fed printing 1 trillion something odd dollars), I think the telltell sign will be when a US gov't Bond auction fails. I thought this was close, but it looks like even though our dollars aren't worth the paper their printed on they are still worth more than the currencies of other countries.

That said you have all inspired me to once again examine the budget and see where it can be trimmed. For example one of the cars will be paid off in about 3 months. I was going to take that money and put it towards other debt. Now I may earmark that cash for preps only. I'm sure there's other fat to cut, there always is.

Knock on wood my job is pretty secure right now as I'm one of the lucky few working for Gov't (and in the police dept to boot, no I'm not sworn, but my unit is still growing while others are laying off).

By all means continue with the advice, I thank you all very much and I'm sure others who may peruse this thread will find it useful.

Leave a comment:

• TAZDEVIL
    replied
    I'm not nearly as prepared as I would like to be... but I'm proud of what I do have and keep working a little ata time, I really feel bad for the ones that have nothing prepped. They all pretty much covered it all... cut-back to the min. on everything... have a mindset that your going to survive!

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    [But as I began to prepare I looked at what I have already have on hand like hunting, fishing, camping and first aid gear. My house is by the ocean, that means free fish, lobster, crabs, shellfish and seaweed. Then I saw my land is wooded with fields, good for gardens, livestock and firewood. I have farms all around me so there is tons of wild game.]
    It would appear you have found a piece of heaven.....now imagine what it will require to keep yourself in that position.
    O.W.

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    [I'm intrigued. Care to elucidate?]
    A number of carefully orchestrated....situations..... have developed which include the unjustified, rapid increase in fuel last fall.....most recently the raiding of our treasuring to "bailout" failing institutions that have been robbing us for decades+....these, I believe are stress tests to see to what degree members of our society will continue to endure. Now we have a flu bug...out of season....that is not all that significant compared to our average flu bug that affects hundreds of thousands+ each year with numerous fatalities.....currently government agencies are preparing to institute mandatory inoculation procedures with vaccines that don't yet exist or have not been proven....with consequences for those refusing to participate. This could all be part of my overactive imagination however....lets hope so. I believe in the not so distant future another "situation" will surface and the public reaction will warrant some organized, heavily armed response by the government to ensure "public safety". Again, I hope this thinking is just me not having enough important stuff to do.
    Take care. Stay safe.
    O.W.

Leave a comment:

• Omegaman
    replied
    I do not in these current economic times have extra money ( my hours were cut and pay reduced 5% :mad:and medical insurance went up $400 a month:confused:. But as I began to prepare I looked at what I have already have on hand like hunting, fishing, camping and first aid gear. My house is by the ocean, that means free fish, lobster, crabs, shellfish and seaweed. Then I saw my land is wooded with fields, good for gardens, livestock and firewood. I have farms all around me so there is tons of wild game. My house is small ( easy to heat with wood and easy to not notice and I have my own well and septic .When it came time to get a nice new truck I didn't. I kept my old paid off truck and bought a new 1977 farm tractor;) I have some food staples like canned and dry food but not a trailer full. Do I have as much stocked up as others and am I as prepared as others? Not even close.:( But with what I have and the way I have set it up, I could get by like an 1800's homestead. My wife and I are working, trying to simplify our lives. Equipment that I do have I have purchased used or at pawn shops or through craigs list or even the dump, other stuff I build my self. I purchase what I can when I can. Any little bit that you can do is better then those who will do nothing. I broke it down in to things you must have ( food, water, shelter, protection and medical supplies ) and to me one of the most important things ( a plan and backup plan ) I too often feel like I have nothing prepared when I read about other peoples set ups and equipment.:eek: I am working on it though a little ever day. Don't get over whelmed by what others have and just keep preparing a little at a time.

Leave a comment:

• voodoo
    replied
    As O.W. said, only make the bare minimum payments. Pay nothing off. If your credit is not good, you might even want to go as far as skipping a payment to use the funds for supplies. (Not that credit will mean much in the near future) The U.S, heck the world, as at its tipping point. If you are not prepared soon, it will be too late. This Summer all hell breaks loose. So I say.....

Leave a comment:

• unswydd
    replied
    Well, Here's my 2cents.
    We live in a throwaway society. As much as we hate to admit it we do. If something isn't working just the way we think it should, we toss it and buy a new one. Fix the old, make it work. Get the mindset that you don't need all the "stuff" and you're on your way. The biggest part of being prepared is your "mind". Get it in tune and you'll find that the rest will follow. I have gotten rid of things I know I do not use, if I haven't used it in a year, it's gone. I keep only what I use frequently. I downsized my vehicle, my house, my clothing, eat better. I don't eat out. I use jars for rice and cereal....ect. There is so much on this site you can't help but learn. Just read and print. Start a binder and make a list and start checking things off as you go. This has helped me tremendously. Keep it simple is my motto! Don't become obsessed but make it a Lifestyle not a pastime.
    This won't help you make money but it's a start.
    Last edited by unswydd; 05-01-2009, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Make minimum payments on all of your loans....they're not going to exist for too much longer....take those unspent funds and purchase the supplies to equip you and yours for an extended "camping expedition". Stay smart...stay informed....a false flag is on the way.
    O.W.
    I'm intrigued. Care to elucidate?

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    Make minimum payments on all of your loans....they're not going to exist for too much longer....take those unspent funds and purchase the supplies to equip you and yours for an extended "camping expedition". Stay smart...stay informed....a false flag is on the way.
    O.W.

Leave a comment:

• waitnc
    replied
    Getting started

Slim_bob,

Since your details are vague by choice, which I agree with for what it's worth I'll toss in some ideas since you seem to understand that situations other then a few weeks without power are possible.
    Your basic weaponary is good with the 7.62X39 being a little low. I figure two 30rnd mags side by side (loaded =60 rnds) Then 3 30 rnd mags in a waist
    pouch of some sort. Amounting to 90 rnds for a loaded 150 rnds. Atleast carry 300 rnds and add to it upto 1 to 2 thousand rounds. it gets heavy and realistically you aren't going in weekly fire fights. Hide and staying out of peoples way is probably wise for a small family group. Get a Ruger 10/22 rifle
    with a couple of 30 rnd mags. Reason being ammo is cheap and light weight. The 22 isn't clamorous but if you're a decent shot you can bring a deer down easily in the 50 to 60 yd range. I am going with the idea your spouse is going to pack one of the main caliber pistols? If not trade one for the Ruger 10/22 and mags.
    Start foods with Rice and Beans, Jug water 2.5 to 5 gal These things last for a while without special storage needs. Then add can meats like Spam, Sardines? Something you can enjoy added to the rice and beans. Soy sauce, Check over you outdoor equip. Make sure any Gas powered grills or lights have a few weeks supply of fuel. Then make sure you get equip that doesn't require you to have man made supplies to operate. These seems harsh but, remember you need to stay secluded mostly. Feel free to message me and we can cover what I've done and how you perhaps should look at your situation.:)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X