No announcement yet.

Hunter or Rancher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitehawg, Some may be raising livestock exclusively for food manufacturers, but it never hurts to ask if you can purchase or if you can barter slaughtering and dressing services in exchange for a side of meat.

As for tofu, that doesn't come fromt the Play-Doh section of the toy store. ;) To get tofu, you would have to raise soybeans, sprout the resulting beans, then grind, mash, and strain out the resulting soy milk to get tofu. (Although I'm a meat-eater through-and-through, I also like soy products too. Soy acquires the flavor of anything mixed with it. I like tofu, soy milk, and I've even tried a soft-serve frozen treat called tofutti, which is flavored just like ice cream or yogurt. Tastes great!)

Finally, hunting. If unchecked to allow time for reproduction of the hunted species, hunting can deplete the fat of the land very quickly. The list of endangered and extinct species is proof that Mother Nature doesn't always adjust to man's liking. It will take major tinkering under the genetic hood to bring back the Wooly Mammoth, the Sabre-Toothed Tiger, the Passenger Pidgeon, or the Dodo. Not impossible, but you get the idea. Which is why I stand by farming and ranching for long-term survival. You never hear of species of cattle or chickens going extinct.

:)
    "Apocalypse is by no means inevitable." --Jim Rice.

Comment

Thanks TUO,

Once we move down there we will start developing relationships with the ranchers and see what can be worked out. I'm pretty sure that the turkey and chicken ranches are "company owned", but I do know that the locals are able to purchase from them.

Had an interesting experience with the hunting part. One of our friends down there is an avid turkey hunter and asked permission to hunt our land, seeing as how we're not there yet. We had absolutely no problem with that so we gave him permission. About a year or so later, while on the phone with one of our neighbors, they told us that they had to have a talk with our hunter because he was hunting too much. No problems all the way around. Hunter understood, and we had no problem with the neighbors looking out for us. So it seems that it is somewhat self-regulated.

As far as tofu, I keep recalling that episode from "Everybody Love Raymond" when Marie made the tofurkey for Thanksgiving.
      ENJOY AND STAY SAFE

TEOTWAWKI happens to all of us everyday. Always be prepared!

P.A.W.T. = PROUD AMERICAN WHITE TRASH

Comment

Nitehawg,

Tofurkey probably is pushing the limits of my palate. I imagine that's not too good.

:D

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnboundOne View Post
          Nitehawg,
          As for tofu, that doesn't come fromt the Play-Doh section of the toy store. ;)
          :)
          I would challenge that. Tofu tastes like Pay-Doh to me. Tofu is also not very healthy, and is basically used by the millitant animal rights nut jobs as a propaganda tool. Studies on Tofu say that Tofu is not a complete portein, and people who eat it exclusively or in excess risk serious side effects
          http://starbulletin.com/1999/11/19/news/story4.html

And here

http://www.becomehealthynow.com/article/soy/1088/

A whole list of articles about the ill effects of soy

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm

It is also believed that soy products are bad for men due to the high levels of plant estrogens. Ever notice that vegan men are somewhat fruity in behaviour?

I happened to have been made ill from soy products at one time and ended up in the hospital. I must avoid them.
          Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 09-22-2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Rusty, I loved the ditty about Carnation Milk! It fondly reminded me of the jokes and rhymes my Grandfather taught me, which my Mother chided him for: "Don't you be teachin' him that meanness!"

:D :D :D :D

You are correct about soy not being a complete protein. I'm certainly no PETA freak evangelizing soy to the exclusion of meat, I just happen to like the products I've tried. And if people have allergies to anything, then prescribing that particular food as a panecea is homicidal.

As for whether soy is as bad as Dr. Mercola says, I'll have to look into that further. I have noticed that pure vegans tend to sound very mentally imbalanced, and on the other side of the coin, Al Gore was probably at his battiest when he was on the high-protein, low-carb Atkins Diet. Anything to excess certainly is bad for you, even water if it's ingested down the wrong pipe.

Comment

Working...
            X