Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Worrywart

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Worrywart

    OK, I got my feelings hurt. :( Well, not really as it takes more than being called a worrywart to hurt my feelings, however it BOTHERED me.

    My mom was talking to my younger brother about our garden, telling him how much work we did, etc., and he told her that she should not go along with my ideas as it is enabling me to be an even bigger worrywart than I already am.

    Hmmm..

    I sat down and thought about this and I won't mention what my first reaction was as it is not very lady-like. However, I realized that I am NOT a worrywart because I have no reasons to worry. We plant a garden so we won't HAVE to worry. We can foods so we won't HAVE to worry. We have no debt so we won't HAVE to worry. I think the ones who do not prepare for the future, any scenario of the future, are the ones who WILL BE the worrywarts.

    I actually sleep good at night, well, when Mr. Arthur is not making an appearance (arthritis), and don't feel any stress about what my family will eat, what they will wear or where we will live SHOULD anything beyond our control, happen.

    I can't imagine the stress of credit card debt, loans, retirement benefits going poof, loss of a job resulting in losing my home, etc.

    What do you guys think? Are we worrywarts or what?

    Oh yeah, the conversation my mom had with my brother was that I wanted to DOUBLE the size of the garden in order to have extra on hand just in case of a deepening depression, job loss, etc. She sees nothing wrong with it as it is food and will be eaten.

    wor·ry·wart (wûr'ē-wôrt', wŭr'-) Pronunciation Key
    n. One who worries excessively and needlessly.

    worrywart

    noun
    thinks about unfortunate things that might happen

    wor⋅ry⋅wart   /ˈwɜriˌwɔrt, ˈwʌr-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [wur-ee-wawrt, wuhr-] –noun a person who tends to worry habitually and often needlessly; pessimist; fussbudget.
    Last edited by Lostinoz; 03-23-2009, 03:18 PM. Reason: added definitions of a worrywart..hmm, maybe I am a worrywart

  • #2
    No I don't think we are worrywarts. I think of it as being less dependent on someone else. There maybe some that have the tinfoil wrapped a bit too tight that constantly worry about, if they have done enough, or what they are going to do.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ha!....I learned a long time ago that I am quite "unique" (define that as you wish, in this context EVERYONE is unique)...and I choose to get a humorous kick out of everyone's "opinion" of me, or anything about me. The things that I choose to do are based on ME...not somebody else. Now I can appreciate a little "questioning" from friends and family, as long as they are willing to hear my explaination (should I be willing to take the time to share it).
      The beauty in being the unique YOU is understanding that you are living life and making decisions based on what you like, believe in, enjoy, hold sacred, ect...ect.....rather than what somebody else (yes...even family) thinks about it. Sure...consider their opinion, because hopefully it was based on loving concern...but consider it only as part of the process of being YOU!
      I'm the only one in my family that's even thinking about preparing for anything. I let them know what I think about today's times, and what I'm doing, and more than a few of them probably think I'm going overboard. That doesn't bother me at all...it bother's me more that THEY are not prepping.
      If what I am is a "worrywart"...then I'm the happiest (most prepared) worrywart in all the land!

      Comment


      • #4
        Worry

        When I was very young, 4 or 5 years old, I used to stash cans of food under my bed. We were fairly well off and I was never hungery. My parents worried about me. When I joined the boy scouts I took the motto "Be Prepared" to heart. I have always felt that sometime our civilization will go the way of Egypt, Rome, or the Ottoman empire, or any of the other civilizations than have risen, become mighty and are now found in museums. The current situation in the world does little to reassure me. I bought land in a remote location with good water. I collect weapons and ammunition. I planted an orchard. I raise much of my own food and could raise it all with a little warning. It could come in handy some day. At the very least I say "What harm has it done?" So by all means, Be Prepared.
        Those who would trade freedom for security will end up with neither.

        Comment


        • #5
          I like you Snal! Thanks for the reminder because I AM happy, too. I like who I am and how I live my life.

          It is funny because my dad likes to call me Martha Stewart, well yesterday I finally let him know that Martha Stewart is a wimp. :D

          I think some folks would just rather not think about things interrupting their lifestyle of fancy restaurants, new cars, big houses and huge television sets. Thankfully, none of that stuff has ever interested me in the least. I gain much more satisfaction out of creating and accomplishing rather than what I can buy.

          Originally posted by snal View Post
          Ha!....I learned a long time ago that I am quite "unique" (define that as you wish, in this context EVERYONE is unique)...and I choose to get a humorous kick out of everyone's "opinion" of me, or anything about me. The things that I choose to do are based on ME...not somebody else. Now I can appreciate a little "questioning" from friends and family, as long as they are willing to hear my explaination (should I be willing to take the time to share it).
          The beauty in being the unique YOU is understanding that you are living life and making decisions based on what you like, believe in, enjoy, hold sacred, ect...ect.....rather than what somebody else (yes...even family) thinks about it. Sure...consider their opinion, because hopefully it was based on loving concern...but consider it only as part of the process of being YOU!
          I'm the only one in my family that's even thinking about preparing for anything. I let them know what I think about today's times, and what I'm doing, and more than a few of them probably think I'm going overboard. That doesn't bother me at all...it bother's me more that THEY are not prepping.
          If what I am is a "worrywart"...then I'm the happiest (most prepared) worrywart in all the land!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dracos View Post
            When I was very young, 4 or 5 years old, I used to stash cans of food under my bed. We were fairly well off and I was never hungery. My parents worried about me. When I joined the boy scouts I took the motto "Be Prepared" to heart. I have always felt that sometime our civilization will go the way of Egypt, Rome, or the Ottoman empire, or any of the other civilizations than have risen, become mighty and are now found in museums. The current situation in the world does little to reassure me. I bought land in a remote location with good water. I collect weapons and ammunition. I planted an orchard. I raise much of my own food and could raise it all with a little warning. It could come in handy some day. At the very least I say "What harm has it done?" So by all means, Be Prepared.
            Exactly! I think he was worried that I was influencing our mom in a bad way. I can't see how though as my husband and I are buying all of the seed, plants, etc. and doing all of the work pertaining to the garden. My mom does like to get out there with the rake and remove grass, but that is her choice. I know that my parents are on a fixed income and would NEVER take advantage of them. However, they DO live in a more remote area and their location is better than ours.

            Comment


            • #7
              I know we are not worrywarts! We are prepared, it eases our minds and our wallets and it does no harm. I don't wear a tinfoil hat, nor do I wait for a hoard of zombies to shamble down the road. I know that the economy is getting bad, I will be prepared and healthy. Anyone who jokes at my preps knows that they won't be welcome, simple as that.
              At one time, my kids thought I was a bit nuts to believe it was going to get as bad as it is, but now several of them have been through hard times to the point of worrying where their next meal was going to come from, they know the value of stocking up.

              Comment


              • #8
                Lostinoz,

                I look at it this way: Why is it considered "wacko" to grow your own produce and make your own provisions, yet it is considered "sensible" to have life, health, auto, or home insurance policies...even if the policies might be issued by somebody like AIG?

                :confused:

                The way I see it, Survivalism and Preparedness are the insurance policies you need before any other. When you practice Survivalism and Preparedness, you are not only the policy holder and payer, but also your own actuary, claims adjuster, check cutter, and premium setter. What could be a better insurance policy than that?

                Unlike other insurance policies, the payout of Survivalism and Preparedness doesn't depend on anyone else's promise to pay. The payout of Survivalism and Preparedness depends solely on your willingness to learn and apply the ways to get the best result for your efforts. Best yet, by exercising on your homestead, rotating your stockpiles, and learning new skills and new applications for old skills, you can enjoy the benefits of Survivalism and Preparedness even if no disaster ever hits. When did the Geico Gekko ever promise that about auto insurance?

                Just take the missives from your relatives with a huge lump of salt and go about your merry way. If others join in for the ride, that's great, but if not, you'll still be bettering yourself anyway.
                "Apocalypse is by no means inevitable." --Jim Rice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Unbound, thanks for helping to put things in perspective for me. I think it bothered me because, well, I love my brother and respect him in so many areas. I just have to remember that everyone is not constructed the same and will never see eye to eye on everything.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i would rather be a well prepared tin foil hat wearin "worrywart' then a hungry under clothed under prepared sheep tell your brother about the sqiuirel and the rabbit and see how he reacts
                    the pack that plays together stays together

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Press on with pride Lostinoz. Snal said it best (sorry to hear he is no longer at this forum). He does send his best to everyone and say's he's with you all in spirit. I will not expand further on this matter.

                      The way I see it if nothing does happen GREAT! Why do people put money in the Bank, IRAs, 401ks. They are preparing for later on in life. They should be prepared all the times. I live a modest life style and when my wife thought we should invest our savings I said no-way. I look at people who bought fancy houses, two brand new SUVs, Boats etc over-extending themselves and never saved a dime, or prepared for a rainy day and lost everything. You reap what you sow. People need to get back to really living within there means.

                      You are preparing for the what's possible here and now. Plus have you seen the price of fruits and vegetables lately! They only keep going up. Even with the price of oil and gas down, food prices have increased. Some prices may not have changed, however packaging size/volume has shrunk. Your saving yourself a bundle. That's money you get to keep in your purse/wallet while still providing healthly fruits and vegetables to your family free of processing center contaminants. A little hard work now is paying off with dividends much faster and more secure than the stock market. You are preparing for the short and long term. If things do go bad you are way ahead of the game. You just keep going the way you are.:)
                      Last edited by Bayou Blaster; 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for the kind words BB!! AND, I don't want SNAL to leave!!! :eek: There are a lot of people I got use to seeing post that no longer post. :( I hope I haven't done anything to drive folks away and I definitely will miss them. Oh well, such is life on a forum, yes? :(

                        Pass on my best wishes to Snal if you will, BB. Thanks!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Short story? I swung into gear a few years ago. The UPS man and I were on a first name basis. I would explained to a few freinds my thoughts on the simple provisions and being prepared. They found it intresting I guess, but their since of being prepared was different from my own. However, when the snow or the icestorms hit... The phone rings (lol)... "hey man, you guys going to ride the storm out?... I just reply to them " Yes, come on, bring your guitar and sleepings bags". I hope that I can always say that. Someday soon I might not be able too.
                          And we are not "worry warts"
                          "And with a collection of minds and talent, they survived"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pathfinder3081 View Post
                            Short story? I swung into gear a few years ago. The UPS man and I were on a first name basis. I would explained to a few freinds my thoughts on the simple provisions and being prepared. They found it intresting I guess, but their since of being prepared was different from my own. However, when the snow or the icestorms hit... The phone rings (lol)... "hey man, you guys going to ride the storm out?... I just reply to them " Yes, come on, bring your guitar and sleepings bags". I hope that I can always say that. Someday soon I might not be able too.
                            And we are not "worry warts"
                            Pathfinder, I appreciate your willingness to share.
                            I have actually had a change of heart. I was first of the mindset that I would need to protect what I had stockpiled at what ever cost and no one would be welcome. I have been doing some real "soul searching" and I truely believe that My God will watch over me as his daughter. Do I need to continue to stockpile? YOU BET! Will I share it? I hope so. I hope I am never toooo big or so selfish that I cannot help someone in need of something I have plenty of.
                            LO, I don't think we're worry warts at all. I think that we just are smart enough to read "the writing on the wall" and DO something about it other than stick our heads in the sand!!!
                            Go Girl, plant that extra row. I am!
                            Your opponet got stronger today, did you?
                            {{unswydd-Of One Purpose}}

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Unswydd, I know what you are going through. I don't believe I could turn away a family who is just looking for a bite to eat. That is not to say that those who would want to take what we have would not meet resistance, just saying I am undone by a hungry child. I just couldn't do it in good conscience.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X