A bridge too far for Russian invaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bridge too far for Russian invaders

The better part of two or more Russian army battalions—potentially 100 vehicles and more than a thousand troops—in recent days tried to cross a pontoon bridge spanning the Siverskyi Donets River, running west to east between the separatist provinces of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern Ukraine.

Ukrainian artillery caught them at the river bank—and destroyed them. The rapid destruction of around six dozen tanks and other armored vehicles, along with the bridge itself, underscores Russia’s deepening woes as its troops try, and fail, to make meaningful gains in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidax...h=5828c64c1689

Military experts agree that crossing any river in the middle of a conflict is not easy. But the Russian army’s attempt to build a pontoon over the Siverskyi Donets river was so catastrophically flawed that it ended with a significant portion of a battalion wiped out in the process.

If ever a battle in the brutal Ukraine war was emblematic of Russian military failure then perhaps this was it – the disastrous bid to build a bridge over the River Donets
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...talion-failed/

Building a long temporary bridge then using it is a losing proposition in todays battle zone. Speed is lost as you sit and become targets for indirect fire and air power. It's a massive chokepoint that guaranteed they will bunch up.

Comment

As the online pictures came from a Ukrainian drone(s); add flat stupid to your "losing proposition." ;) Although, the Ukrainian Military has drone(s), I'm curious how they knew where the Russians were located.
      I'm quite curious why there aren't a lot of pictures online.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status...840833/photo/1
      AFA, Russian officers, a stupid risky maneuver to show progress is better than a firing squad.

The average depth of the Donst is 2.5m (8'-2"). I did read some spots are 0.3m (about 1').

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSnRHk8X...pg&name=medium

Comment

Russian vehicles on both sides of the Donst.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/185424...eyard-ukraine/
        A classic tactic; first divide them and then, destroy them.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/185350...issile-strike/

Other action at Snake Island:
        https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/184916...-snake-island/

The above links might be on American news media which I don't watch at all. I'm sick and tired of those idiots saying wonderful matters are here when they sure as heck aren't.

Comment

It seems either this site or the websites the links led to moved them to avoid the traffic.

Anyhow, one more attempt:
          https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...talion-failed/

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2022-05-13_200858643.png Views:	0 Size:	23.1 KB ID:	223649 Here's the original before I hit "post reply"

Last edited by Tugaloo; 05-13-2022, 08:12 PM.

Comment

The Sun link works, goes to show what real time on call fire with live feed can do. They've had enough time to start deploying the M777 now. This is probably a trend we will see to increase, this plus the medical issues can lead to some interesting theories. Some to be put ut under tinfoil cap thinking.

Comment

As you said real time adjustments bring highly accurate "steel rain" and fast. Drones and laser aiming devices can bring "pee call" very close to or perfectly on target.
                That really beats old school's fire a marking shell then adjust and finally fire for effect.. Today's version is the first round hits the target.

Of interest, Vietnam was the first time it was an almost always that Infantry fought under and artillery umbrella.

From now on, when I post a link, I'll use M$'s "snipping tool" to screen capture what was originally posted.
                In the US, it violates copyright laws to post the whole article with or without posting the link. However, posting part of an article with the link is what we'd call clickbait.. The reason is simple, clickbait leads to the article and the site's advertisements. More hits increases the price of advertisement space.

Comment

Impressive artillery work! As an old infanteer, I have to say I'm surprised!

Comment

Originally posted by Garand View Post
                    Impressive artillery work! As an old infanteer, I have to say I'm surprised!
                    One shot, one kill with a 155mm is highly impressive.
                    In its day the 8" was also impressive..

I go back to the Def Con days. A favorite was Battery 3 or 3 rounds per gun.. LOL

Comment

As an ex infanteer you are expected to say disparaging things about lower life forms that group together in the artillery! LOLOLOL

Comment

Yup here's a old toast about the Royal Artillery Corps emblem. Here's to the wheel that never turn, gun that's never fired, Smoke that won't go.
                        Gentlemen, the guns!
                        They've come a long way from their first version, with many upgrades and dead end trials versions. There's been a lot of steps to get to be where indirect fire 15 k out is a good shot for anti tank practice. But now the new systems are starting to show up the rus are going to dig deep, and be ready for a lot of losses. Nowadays the tech geeks are helping out, with drones dropping munitions. Ever wonder where the Amazon cargo drones are? Dropping deliveries. The big Mavics are being used but they can be tracked because of their controls put out a breakable signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Garand View Post
                          As an ex infanteer you are expected to say disparaging things about lower life forms that group together in the artillery! LOLOLOL
                          LMBO!

Infantry has that attitude with rear echelon troops unless the enemy attacks them; then, the infantry says those are our rear echelon troops...

Supposedly during the Vietnam War, there was at least 7 rear echelon troops for every infantryman. Since then, I never met but one or two rear echelon troopers and everyone else was infantry. All I can say is go figure. ROFL!

This morning, I received an email from my HS and seeing his name reminded me of meeting him in Vietnam at the PX; today it is BX. Anyhow his AR or NG maintenance unit was activated and today he claims to be infantry..

Armyjimbo,
                          As we are heading out the door soon; I didn't get to watch the video you posted, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Armyjimbo View Post
                            Yup here's a old toast about the Royal Artillery Corps emblem. Here's to the wheel that never turn, gun that's never fired, Smoke that won't go.
                            Gentlemen, the guns!
                            They've come a long way from their first version, with many upgrades and dead end trials versions. There's been a lot of steps to get to be where indirect fire 15 k out is a good shot for anti tank practice. But now the new systems are starting to show up the rus are going to dig deep, and be ready for a lot of losses. Nowadays the tech geeks are helping out, with drones dropping munitions. Ever wonder where the Amazon cargo drones are? Dropping deliveries. The big Mavics are being used but they can be tracked because of their controls put out a breakable signal.
                            Thanks that was really cool.

Add a laser to the drone and kill more Russian Orcs. OTOH, the Ukrainians seem to doing quite well at doing that with a little help.

Here's a funny with all the various heads of State who have visited Ukraine; Joe Biden sends his wife, Jill. Simply said, he lacks a set.
                            As if Putin didn't already know that.

Comment

You don't even need every laser to operate anything. Just hitting a laser detector will be enough to freak out the occupants, wear them out mentally. Keep at it, they tire of it them. Then the big flash happens, or doesn't, this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X