Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bird Flu season opens: Now we watch for new 'zoonotics'....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird Flu season opens: Now we watch for new 'zoonotics'....

Just a 'heads up' that the annual 'bird flu' season has opened with sundry culls etc.

Assorted sites in UK in trouble, many 'wild' birds such as swans dying as a flock. Lots of local control measures...
    They're 'the usual', though.

Globally...

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...n=30d65594_176

Looks like A(H5N6) almost nailed an unlucky Chinese poultry keeper, while A(H5N8) is trying to go 'zoonotic' in Russia, but has not yet made the full jump to 'readily human transmissible'.

IIRC, several of the 'other' strains are evolving towards higher infectivity, albeit only in birds.

IMHO, if any strain show up in both poultry and pigs, that is bad news, as such 'versatility' seriously raises its chances of going 'full-on zoonotic'. And, being 'bird flu', readily jump borders...

For better or worse, this season's recommended vaccine mix is much the same as last year's. Note suppliers had to 'commit' to producing this mix back in the Spring, so must again be hoping there are no nasty surprises. Here's UK take...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...021-flu-season

Note routine '64+' group are augmented with an 'adjuvant'. FWIW, I did not notice any side-effects. I'd usually get some mild 'fevre dreams', mine them for a fun tale or two. Not this year. Disappointed...

IIRC, UK's 2020/2021 flu season was uncommonly mild, partly because of Covid precautions. With many such measures relaxed, and 'Covid-vaccine Hesitant' generally holding same opinion of seasonal-flu vaccine, distancing, ventilation, masking etc etc, this year could prove rather nasty...

Take Care Out There !!
    N

Added: TV News suggests H5N8 is loose in Asian poultry. Not reached the 'mass cull' stage, as yet just local outbreaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
      Added: TV News suggests H5N8 is loose in Asian poultry. Not reached the 'mass cull' stage, as yet just local outbreaks.
      That will be interesting as with already having various food shortages due to the covid upset to the supply chain, imagine if millions of chickens need destroyed and taken fro the food chain...
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
        That will be interesting as with already having various food shortages due to the covid upset to the supply chain, imagine if millions of chickens need destroyed and taken fro the food chain...
        Just what we need another shortage's panic buying added to the inflation.

Comment

Working...
        X