World Health Organization COVID bulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Health Organization COVID bulletin

From the WHO (World Health Organization)

Infection fatality rate of COVID-19 inferred from seroprevalence data

Objective To estimate the infection fatality rate of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from seroprevalence data.
    Methods I searched PubMed and preprint servers for COVID-19 seroprevalence studies with a sample size ≥500 as of 9 September 2020. I also retrieved additional results of national studies from preliminary press releases and reports. I assessed the studies for design features and seroprevalence estimates. I estimated the infection fatality rate for each study by dividing the cumulative number of COVID-19 deaths by the number of people estimated to be infected in each region. I corrected for the number of immunoglobin (Ig) types tested (IgG, IgM, IgA).
    Findings I included 61 studies (74 estimates) and eight preliminary national estimates. Seroprevalence estimates ranged from 0.02% to 53.40%. Infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 1.63%, corrected values from 0.00% to 1.54%. Across 51 locations, the median COVID-19 infection fatality rate was 0.27% (corrected 0.23%): the rate was 0.09% in locations with COVID-19 population mortality rates less than the global average (<118 deaths/million), 0.20% in locations with 118–500 COVID-19 deaths/million people and 0.57% in locations with >500 COVID-19 deaths/million people. In people younger than 70 years, infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.31% with crude and corrected medians of 0.05%.
    Conclusion The infection fatality rate of COVID-19 can vary substantially across different locations and this may reflect differences in population age structure and case-mix of infected and deceased patients and other factors. The inferred infection fatality rates tended to be much lower than estimates made earlier in the pandemic.
    https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/99/1/20-265892.pdf

Other factors such as slum areas compared to non-slum areas change the results. Mumbai, India is an example.
    In Mumbai, India, the "slum areas" crude percentage was 54.1 when adjusted for "test, age, sex" the percentage increased to 58.4%. In "non-slum areas" 16.1% when adjusted for "test, age, sex" the percentage increased to 17.3%.

Considering the source, I found this bulletin from WHO to be interesting.

What you both are hinting at is economic development, health services, diet, and living c onditions. It's true that each item I mentioned has an effect on the death rate.

Comment

We can also add age, preexisting medical conditions and some others to the "economic development, health services, diet, and living conditions" list.
      The question is why is this peer reviewed science based information from WHO being ignored? Why isn't it headlines? Why was this information not shared with us? There is always a reason why for almost everything.

BTW, the WHO bulletin is not a hint, it is science and all I did was quote it.

Comment

FWIW, the scary spike in hospitalisations due Covid across US are reported as 3/4 un-vaccinated..

Also, the 'Poisons Centre' people are warning of silly number of people dosing themselves with ivermectin, and becoming very, very ill.

IIRC, a common theme is that such folk refuse Covid vaccination because 'is experimental', yet have no qualms about over-dosing themselves with ivermectin despite all medical warnings. They'd rather take the word of unqualified media 'influencers' than take heed of the label cautions...

Curiously, when ivermectin does not prove a panacea, and may actually trigger severe kidney, liver and other problems, they seem unwilling to sue those 'Influencers' who've almost killed them...

Comment

The greatness concern in the US?
          For adults, the concern is that vaccination effectiveness is waning over time and breakthrough infections are rising, increasing calls for booster shots. Dramatic new data from Israel demonstrates the power of a third jab for reducing the risk of infection among people who’ve taken the two-dose Pfizer vaccine. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during the White House briefing that, based on the data from Israel, hopes are high the booster shot will offer longer-lasting protection. “And if it is durable, then you’re going to have—very likely—a three-dose regimen being the routine regimen,” Fauci said. (Read more about the science supporting the booster shot.)
          https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...-infections-us

With all the mega bucks the US is spending and Israel has the dramatic new data?
          Read more about the science supporting the booster shot; hopefully, it will be translated from Hebrew.

Ivermectin is an anthelmintic, meaning it cures parasitic infections.
          "Ivermectin is a minor cytochrome P 3A4 substrate and a p-glycoprotein substrate. Ivermectin is generally given on an empty stomach with water; however, administering ivermectin with food increases its bioavailability. The FDA issued a warning in April 2020 that ivermectin intended for use in animals should not be used to treat COVID-19 in humans."
          https://www.covid19treatmentguidelin...py/ivermectin/

All prescription drugs are prescribed for certain diseases misusing them isn't wise. Just where did they get the information about ivermectin being a cure for COVID?
          Potentially, they found it at this link:
          https://search.nih.gov/search?utf8=✓...&commit=Search
          Or perhaps at this link:

https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz-the-unmistakable-ivermectin-miracle-in-the-indian-state-of-uttar-pradesh
          Uttar Pradesh might sound obscure to most Americans, but it is the most populated state in India, with urban areas that rival the most densely populated cities in the U.S. Yet, miraculously, despite housing a population of 240 million people, this northern state has been averaging only 24 cases and 0-2 deaths per day in recent months. Despite its size — roughly 73% of the U.S. population — it ranked dead last in cases per capita last week among India's 36 states. What gives?
          The answer likely lies in the 10-letter "I-word" that you are not allowed to mention on social media: ivermectin.
          Perhaps the science is different in India or at least their results differ?

However, without doubt the Indians are using ivermectin as prescribed under a doctor's supervision and it works.

IMO, here there are a bunch of experts trying to see who can urinate higher up the wall as they ignore treatments that works elsewhere.

Both my wife and I had a mild case of COVID and recovered; we were also vaccinated.
          It should be noted that this exercise is not even necessary now that our own government concedes that immunity from the vaccines, particularly the Pfizer shot, wanes each month. With the Mayo Clinic researchers suggesting, based on old data that likely got even worse since, that Pfizer's efficacy against infection is only 42%, there is no reason to even attempt to compare this degree of immunity to the near-perfect immunity of prior infection, even against Delta. It should be obvious to any intellectually honest person that an unvaccinated individual with prior infection is exponentially safer to be around than someone who had the vaccines but not prior infection.
          August 25, 2021:
          https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horow...covid-vaccines
          We will take whatever booster shots are offered and as many times as they are offered. Although as I hope you've gathered, I do enjoy researching and avoid the mainstream media's panic-dema, we will continue to play it safe.

It appears here in the US, the "highest hesitancy among those least and most educated" and yes, I'm serious.
          https://summit.news/2021/08/11/study...cine-hesitant/

Comment

Working...
          X