Hurricane Ida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Ida

Ida is a category 1. NOAA states: "IDA EXPECTED TO BEGIN RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING SOON"

Hurricane Hunters measured 105 MPH winds to the South of Ida. Forecast is again, it will "intensify" before landfall.

Comment

FEMA shelters will have masks and hand sanitizers. People are facing a CAT 2 and the FEMA director concentrated more on COVID, masks and hand sanitizers more than the storm. I agree COVID supplies are important; however, so is IDA.

Comment

I've a contact in NJ, who reports that rainfall was 'apocalyptic'. Month's rain in a couple of hours, like Asian Monsoon but side-ways. A lot of systems caught off-guard. Subways flooded. Clean-up will take a long time.

One thing they may have to add is pop-up flood barriers and water-gates around subway access. Manual emplacement takes too long...

FWIW, the weather forecasts estimated low-ish on total rainfall, but horribly underestimated the rate of rainfall: Day's dosage arrived in a few-hour deluge. Model-tweak required...

Comment

In GA, Ida hammered NW GA and Atlanta and its surrounding area. GA Power reported 7500 outages. As I'm not familiar with all the smaller electricity suppliers, I can't even guess-ti-mate the total outages.

Popup flood barriers would be a good idea for future events.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro weather station and often the rate of rainfall is beyond belief, but fortunately it doesn't maintain that rate.
          During Ida, it measured a total of 3.5"; however for short periods of time, the rate was 10" to 11" per hour.

Comment

Was visiting family in Ga. near the Al. border. Got stuck for an additional day due to IDA. We had a lot of rain 7+ " very hard to see outside little visibility. Next day had a wonderful drive back to Fl. On 75.

Comment

With all the power outages was gasoline difficult to find? It must have been a hectic drive.

Tonight has been busy with a young bear three times at the feeders. I ran him off twice with 2 shots from a 9mm. The last time, I hit it with a rock while carrying an AK. Although they are persistent, they beat feet at the sound of a firearm.
              The last week or so had a lot of bear visits; they are fattening up for winter.

Comment

No on 75 all stations were open. As we drove down to Fl. The price went from $2.68 to $2.99 per gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                  No on 75 all stations were open. As we drove down to Fl. The price went from $2.68 to $2.99 per gallon.
                  That is great! It is good news that some areas dodged Ida's destruction.
                  I located a pistol I wanted to buy; however, the roads by that area of Atlanta are still closed.

Gas here is $2.93 9/10 per gallon.. The biggest jump here was after the pipeline was cancelled.

Comment

Working...
                  X