Facing getting old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facing getting old

Yes I'm getting OLD! In fact I'm sitting here on The sofa with an oxygen line running to a large machine. Keeping me alive. I Now have congested heart failure along with all else that has hit me hard since 2019. That was my last good year.

Hunted white tail feet in Wis. (6 pointer), duck, geese, and hogs. Went fishing fresh and salt water, and camping with my grandkids. Loved every minute of it, spending time passing down my experiences so the latest generation can use it.

Now reality has hit me hard. First Covid 19, lock down, every thing that made 2020 the year that never was!

Now my health has gone down hill. No more hunting fishing or any thing else I spent my life doing. But I will stay with this board until I pass.

To finish life like this is a bummer. Good luck, good hunting
    Last edited by RICHFL; 06-07-2021, 10:18 AM.

Aging and increasing medical problems are something none of us can get away with. We can only work within our limitations and we need to be honest to ourselves regarding both financial and medical realities. While "bugging out" made sense 40 years ago, "bugging in" becomes the new reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Garand View Post
      Aging and increasing medical problems are something none of us can get away with. We can only work within our limitations and we need to be honest to ourselves regarding both financial and medical realities. While "bugging out" made sense 40 years ago, "bugging in" becomes the new reality.
      Agree very much Garand.

While I can retire any time....I don't want to sit at home and stare at four walls without my woman....may she rest in peace.

I have some health left but am well aware of my limitations.....and know that time is creeping up on me and quickly.

My lungs are not what they used to be. Going the distance gets more difficult.

Yes...bugging out made sense years ago...but hunkering down looks like the new reality..bugging in as you aptly state.

I am very very fortunate to still have mobility...in my late 60s.

Try to keep up on my vitamins...in particular D3, C, and Zinc with the C 19 going around.

I've been in contact with four people who had it and never came down with it ....yet. taken four tests for C19...all negative.
      Wow!! feels like they are scrambling your brains when they stick that Q tip way up your nose.

I also have four real silver... silver dollars in my Levi's coin pocket and another four in my left hand pocket.

I also take about a teaspoon of colloidal Silver a day....along with my vitamins.

I don't think most people know but Silver kills bacteria and microbes...this information is on line...

I was surprised to see a bandage with thin silver sheeting on one side. I don't remember any bandages like that coming up.

Mayhap the olde folks knew something we've forgotten back when they used real silver silverware.

Did stainless steel dumb us down????

Thanks,
      Orangetom
      Not an Ishmaelit//e

Comment

We both had a very light dose of COVID. We both tested positive, she lost her sense of taste and I "enjoyed" other symptoms. We were both vaccinated and recently learned the light dose of COVID increased the effectivity of the vaccine.
        Same as her, I'm blessed as at my age, I take over the counter meds. Based on my blood work; I take this vitamin twice a week and that one three times a week. The good news is she is no different.

As a Vietnam Vet, I have medical issues; Agent Orange is the top of the list. Every 3 years, polyps are removed and 6 years ago three were precancerous. Again. I'm blessed as I'm alive.

We live in what most would consider an excellent BOL. We have an ever expanding garden that soon will be expanded and fenced with a solar powered electric fence above the fence.
        We grow using heirloom seeds. At first we were not too successful; so we planted flowers to attract bees to pollinate the vegetables. They came, pollinated as a result, last year was very successful. Growing one's own food requires effort. Bugging out requires food to live. Edible and medicinal plants are in almost all forests and for example, we've all heard of scurvy and there are more..

The AO has plenty of game; the river and lake have fish. A canoe gives us access to the lake and we can wade the creek for trout. In warm weather, the rocks are covered with turtles.
        The property has 2 year round springs. The springs flow from rock which usually potable water.

A modest solar power setup. The problem is battery life is finite.
        So what is our problem? People willing to walk the 17 miles from the nearest small town and up the mountain and they see what we have and they are hungry... I smell potential problems in the making..

Anyhow how if "it" happens and when "it" happens; we'll be here doing the best we can and that is all we or any of you can do. us can do.

Comment

Trout...Wow...thats good eating...and good catching too.

I just attended a meeting of the VFN..or what is called the Virginia Fone Net....which meets twice daily on 3.947MHZ.

At that meeting I met my friend who lives in Tennessee in similar circumstances to yours.

When I am home in the evenings we often meet on 75 meters....LSB.

It was good to see him and his wife again....as it's been a couple of years.

My friend used to live across the river from me some 10 miles distant and we used to meet on 75 meters and sometimes on 2 meters SSB.

When he retired he and his Bride found the property they wanted and moved to Tennessee...

When I catch up with him on the bands we will QSY to another frequency and leave that one free for more net activity as we both have Extra class privileges.

Yes....finite battery life.

My friend has put in a secondary well system at his home and in his well pump house he has also put his generator..and wired it to his house for use. He is an Electrician by trade ...having retired from this shipyard...His wife too is an electrician retired from this shipyard....and both of them Extra class tickets.

Agree on the problems....

They too live up on the side of a mountain....and away from the city by choice...

You have to go off the main road to get to their place ...again by choice...

Yes...doing the best we can....all any of us can do.

Orangetom
          Not an Ishmaelite.
          Last edited by orangetom1999; 06-08-2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Well said...

As everyone has an Extra class, the group is fortunate. I tried to keep in touch with friends on 75 meters; however, they lacked Extra class privileges and you know 75 meters.

It was also our choice. Our mistake was we originally planned on weekending in a 400 sq-ft cabin with an 8x14 screened porch. It didn't take too long to say hey, we love it here and not there..
            Our road is dirt with stone; at the bottom, it meets a single lane paved road. One side of the road was cut out of rock except for trees and lacks a guard rail..
            We were told the road was put in by the power company to access to their lines.
            What was interesting to watch was a helicopter cutting trees along a powerline. We saw a helicopter bobbing up and down; so we took the Polaris side by to get a better view.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz1YrpMbBg

High on our priority list is a generator.

Last Friday, we went to Camp Toccoa for an event celebrating D-Day. The money they make from tickets, silent auctions and souvenirs is spent on reconstructing the old WWII barracks. They are also rebuilding a WWII C-47
            https://www.gainesvilletimes.com/lif...t-camp-toccoa/
            As I saw it on Friday, the fuselage is in better shape that the pictures.
            Camp Toccoa is where the Airborne trained for the June 6, 1944 invasion. Camp Toccoa is where the 3 miles up and 3 miles down run on Currahee mountain for training. The next day Airborne troopers show up to make the same run carrying 40# and they made the run 3 times.. That defines high speed, low drag.. ;)
            When I was their age, I could have done the same; however, at my age, walking up and down is my speed.. That defines getting old.

The original name was Camp Toombs which was changed to Camp Toccoa for obvious reasons. ;)
            After their training was complete, they marched 115 miles to board trains.
            https://www.camptoccoaatcurrahee.org...of-camp-toccoa

Currahee is the motto of 101st 506 PIR. It's a Cherokee word for "Stands alone." which is where Airborne units usually found themselves.

Comment

Tugaloo...

When I was their age, I could have done the same; however, at my age, walking up and down is my speed.. That defines getting old.
              Amen on that one Olde Man...Amen on that one. I'm right with you on walking...

I thought that name Camp Tocca sounded familiar....

Stand alone.....Wow!!

That pretty much describes much of how I have lived and tried to solve many problems....and or issues....usually alone..

You learn and develop interesting skills and knowledges in that manner....

Other times you just want to know if you can do it...if you have the right stuff so to speak.

Oh..I can be a team player when needed but often I just hate to pay someone else for something I can learn to do for myself.

Must be in the genes...my Father was pretty much the same pattern ...same thoughts.

Orangetom
              Not an Ishmaelite.

Comment

Same training, same abilities, same issues.. ;)

This was Cherokee country. Tugaloo was a Cherokee village after Lake Hartwell was created it is now underwater.

I've solved problems alone and also been part of a cross functional team to solve problems or thresh out a new design.

Comment

Working...
                X