Following the Science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following the Science?

Any doctor I have ever consulted has always told me to take ALL my medication as prescribed. The people who know the mediation best are the ones who made it and tested it. So now a bunch of non-science bureaucrats are trying to tell me I don't need to take my medicine as prescribed?

What meds are you talking about Gran?

Dale

Comment

Some nut on TV suggested that we take only the first shot of the vaccine then if we have enough we could take the second shot as much as 3 to 12 months later . We could possibly have as much as 56% immunity with one shot.

Comment

Titers are what will tell you. I worked giving vaccines for 22 years. I can tell you that I saw ALOT of pups who got Parvovirus who did not get the full series of 3 vaccines...maybe 1 or 2 and then the owner got lax on it for whatever reason, until we saw them when they were very ill or dying from it. They have their DHLPP vaccines which contains Parvovirus at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. Then they are good for a year (or a bit longer, but unless you titer test you won't know, so as a general rule it is 12 months for a booster).

There are some dogs who are breeds that are more susceptible to vaccine reactions than others, so we titer test those animals, with a blood test, to see where they immunity to "X" disease is (whatever disease we are titer testing for)... it will tell if it is a lower or an acceptable amount of immunity for the disease and then we evaluate if the animal needs to be vaccinated or not. People would be the same.

The first vaccine for any disease, they are giving a dose to get your body to recognize the disease and have your body make antibodies against it. It is not the 'full disease', but a weak weak weak version of it. Once the antigen-specific antibodies are produced in your body, they then work with the rest of the immune system to destroy the pathogen and stop the disease. Some vaccines require multiple doses (like the Parvovirus for dogs I mentioned above, or the 5 dose of Rabies vaccine given to human veterinary staff depending on what species we work with), given weeks or months apart. This is needed to allow for the production of long-lived antibodies and development of memory cells. In this way, the body is trained to fight the specific disease-causing organism, building up memory of the pathogen so as to rapidly fight it if and when exposed in the future.

SO I would be really cautious of the dude on TV.. I actually asked my friend who is a doctor pretty much same question about a week ago when we found out that the second dose for Covid19 is not arriving to our state. I asked him in case there was new info or something.. his reply is what I thought it would be... "Not Ideal".. and possibly better than nothing, but you will not be fully immunized... and the problem with that.. is like the owners of the puppies mentioned above, is that they will think they are now OK to take out here and there and pick up Parvovirus, which is highly contagious airborne, as well as lives in the soil for six months or more. The owners got lax, and only half of the pups that come in sick, are able to be saved.

Comment

Gran, If your going to get it, then get all recommended doses. Only a quack would say otherwise.

Dale.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
            Gran, If your going to get it, then get all recommended doses. Only a quack would say otherwise.

Dale.
            My thoughts exactly. FYI I only heard this nut on TV twice. Both the same day in the morning and on CBS. No other news channel that I tuned to that day had any reference to it. Hopefully no one will even consider following this.

Comment

Working...
            X