Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are "YOU" going to "HIDE"........Seriously....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are "YOU" going to "HIDE"........Seriously....???

One of the most neglected parts of serious prepping, is where to hide. I think if you questioned a large number of those who feel that are serious about being prepared, most plan to make their stand at their personal residence. But throughout history that was the least safe place.

Even if your sure your home is safe, it is worth reflecting on where you could hide when you discovered it was not all that safe. This is "Different" then reflecting on a "Bug'Out" location. It is actually not very hard to come up with dozens of places to hide.

But best to do it now, as opposed to when it is urgent live or death to find a place to hide. The book, "Without Rule of Law" by Joe Nobody has a great section devoted to this subject.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Hide? Why the **** would I hide? There IS no place to hide.

Comment

One of the great things about where I live is the numerous caves and even better the abandoned powder magazines which are usually a 8' x 8' concrete box with 12 to 16 inch thick poured concrete walls and a small 2' x 4' doorway. There are plenty of them, if you know where to look. The old coal mines are still useful if you know what to look for.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by NRAamy View Post
        Hide? Why the **** would I hide? There IS no place to hide.
        AMY, two words. Guerilla Warfare.

Dale

Comment

depends where one lives.

Comment

I think we will rely on the Gray Man concept more than hiding. We have to be reasonably close to a hospital, which we are now. Hiding someplace remote could be life threatening. Any suggestions on hiding in a suburban area?
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I think I am fairly well tucked away compared to most but I’m certainly not hidden. While I practice grey man and my little spread appears extremely modest to the bush planes that overfly us, I’m like everyone else, still exposed. The victory is in staying alive. While I have several fall back positions and several methods and means to bug out, these are useless if they aren’t timely utilized. I think the trick is having the situational awareness to know it’s time to pull the trigger. Not reacting quickly enough will be fatal.

Again, the victory is in staying alive. I don’t plan on being boxed in to die in place.
              Last edited by Alaskajohn; 10-02-2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                I think we will rely on the Gray Man concept more than hiding. We have to be reasonably close to a hospital, which we are now. Hiding someplace remote could be life threatening.

Any suggestions on hiding in a suburban area?
                There are massively more places to hide in urban and suburban then exist rural or remote areas. You simply have to "Notice" them. This is "Not" about escaping to some distant spot. It is about hiding......it is not a living environment. Example: If someone lived in a 57 story apartment building. And for some reason needed a place to hide.......maybe the furnace room or janitors room in the basement, maybe on the roof, maybe the elevator service room.

Road culverts or small bridges. You just have to start looking now, not when running out your door on foot and urgently looking for a place to hide. Hide where they will not GO. Thorn bushes, tree tops. Maybe behind a dumpster in an alley.......hell maybe in the dumpster. The idea is to have given this consideration at the same level as escape routes out of a suburban area.

I almost (and should have) purchased a home that had several secret tunnels, rooms, and underground tunnel to the out buildings. The garage was attached, but with no direct ground level entry to the house. Yet, you could slid a hidden panel in back of the second floor bedroom closets, and walk directly into the attic of the garage.

For hundreds of years churches were built with so many hidden tunnels and hidden rooms, that they are still discovering hidden areas. Some had tunnels to other churches. This is actually fun. If you start constantly noticing, "Oh-Look I could hide there if I needed to". And look I could also hide there and there and there.

Remember playing "Hide and Seek".....?

Last edited by Sourdough; 10-02-2020, 06:06 PM.
                One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Dale... Point taken. Just in a bad mood from the chaos in our country.

Sorry, Sourdough.

Comment

Sorry, Sourdough.
                    No worries. I am flat'ass fearful of what is coming, and I am near the edge of nowhere Alaska, in deep enough wilderness that my neighbor and friend just got mauled to death in our common backyard by a Grizzly Bear, six weeks ago.

Comment

Sorry, Sourdough.
                      Amy, There is a reason I'm not on Facebook.

You know what I think of the current situation.

Thank the Lord it's hunting season!

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                        I think we will rely on the Gray Man concept more than hiding. We have to be reasonably close to a hospital, which we are now. Hiding someplace remote could be life threatening. Any suggestions on hiding in a suburban area?
                        Hate to saying this, but If you need to close to a healthcare facility than you can't afford to hide, doing so will be life threatening.

However for urban area without the necessity of being close to a healthcare facility there are some aspects you should consider.
                        • Objective. What exactly you intend to achieve by playing hide & seek.
                        • Logistic. Whatever you do you will always be tied to your supply. Either you have the opening to going back to your supply or having them brought to you. Meaning, from operational perspective your hiding spot should be within reasonable distance from your supply (measured the distance in time NOT length)
                        • Operational. You firsts need to identified your own operational limitations (What your capable of, and What you can't).
                        Once you addressed those aspects, start by making round of your surrounding neighbourhood within such reasonable distance.Once you identify potential spot try to ask around the local about it. And if possible (legally of course) try check out the place the same way as if your browsing for buying some property. And if possible send a drone in to check the surrounding area overhead.

Comment

Working...
                        X