Made In China - unexpected things in short supply due to Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made In China - unexpected things in short supply due to Corona Virus

The news has been talking about things that might be in short supply due to being made in part or all in China. Major things like electronics & medications and or their ingredients & medical supplies (mask, gowns & such)) I want to list a few things not expected, at least for me.

Canning jar lids. Only one of the three brands have Made in the USA printed on the box, yet all seem to be out of stock or in limited supply on Amazon and Wal Mart both in stores and online. Supply chain issues I assume. Given past reports about steel being made mostly in China I suspect either the blanks or the metal itself come from China.

Jello. or any other flavored gelatin. I expect unflavored to follow soon. Why? Gelatin is a yellowish, odorless, and nearly tasteless substance that is made by prolonged boiling of skin, cartilage, and bones from animals. It's made primarily from the stuff meat industries have left over — we're talking about pork skins, horns, and cattle bone. You can include feet and hooves in that as well. It is a looong process. Then you have to strain it through smaller and smaller sizes until all you have left is pure liquid. Now you dry it in very thin sheets and cut them up in marketable size or dry it a bit more and grind it into the fine particles. Flavor may or not be added. I suggest the bulk gel itself comes from China.

Some of this may be panic buying but I ordered my canning lids over a month ago before panic set in. Anyone have an unexpected shortage? please post if you do

Got another one. Elastic. Of course the government and manufacturers of masks have bought up 99% available but trying to order any type of sewing elastic is useless. May 1st to June 1st is the tentative delivery date. I will have to use a draw string for my home made pj bottoms. Been there - done that - doing it again.

Comment

Pet food - I knew dry dog food and cat food were made in China. Remember a few years back when dogs were dying from a contaminated batch of dog food? I knew that but it never really sunk in lots of brands were actually made and shipped via container ship to the US. Registered when I ordered a bag of food each for my outside cats and my dog. Walmart experienced unexpected delay on delivery. Cats may be on short rations until it arrives. Maybe even have to make food for them if I can get cornmeal and lard.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
        Canning jar lids. Only one of the three brands have Made in the USA printed on the box, yet all seem to be out of stock or in limited supply on Amazon and Wal Mart both in stores and online. Supply chain issues I assume. Given past reports about steel being made mostly in China I suspect either the blanks or the metal itself come from China.
        The last canning jar lids I bought were thin thin thin. I use my canning jars instead of "tupperware" (which I grew up with) for leftovers. A meal will be hot. I let it cool down and at some point I put on a lid and collar. The NEWER canning lids I bought in the last year will "pop" as if I'm canning. I never had that problem before (and still don't, with my older lids). I wash and re-use my lids; only when I can do I purchase new lids to ensure they are clean and the seals new.

Comment

I think to entire country is shocked at how much manufacturing we have sent to China. This should be a wake up call to bring it back.
          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

glory be! The 13 day wait for pet food turned out to be less. By 3 days. Going to be difficult to keep their food rotated and enough stored at this rate. I'll have to re-think my strategy and cost. Luckily cats are outdoor animals who pay for their keep by hunting and eating field mice and other such pest including small snakes so I don't need as big a store for them but my dog is both protection and companion. as such gotta keep her stores up.
            Last edited by ZAGran; 03-31-2020, 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yes! Cats can survive on their own. Shoot! They LOVE to survive on the wilds. LOL! Dogs on the other hand need us still at this point. I wish I had my puppy still. At least I'd have some company!

-Buggy
              I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Tea. Remember the expression All the tea in China ? well it is still there. There is going to be an uprising over the lack of sweet tea come summer. Orange pico and pico (black tea) is the main stay of sweet tea. Me I don't like sweet tea. I drink it plain. Just tea. but there is a 3 week wait from Walmart on tea.Of course I have several fruit and herb teas a good stock but I hate to break into my long term store for tea. I am using 1 tea bag for a gallon of water instead of 2 qts and cold brewing it in the fridge up to 24 hrs instead of the hot water brew. Almost as strong but better flavor (for me) but without the tannen of over brewed when using hot water.

Comment

Reminds me of a funny story...

We had some visitors from Alabama come to the west coast for the first time. We were in a restaurant and they ordered "Sweet Tea". The drinks come, one of the ladies takes a drink and almost spits it out, tells the waitress; "I ordered sweet tea" The waitress points to sugar on the table! LOL!

No sweet tea here! Also, no "grits" here. The only grits we have here in Washington is in a bad bowl of clam chowder! LOL!

-Buggy
                  I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Polenta is close enough to pass with lots of butter. Of course it is made from a finer ground corn of a different background (italy). Still butter on un-chiefed up is close. Sort of like stirring sugar in your unsweetened ice tea. Close enough if your are desperate!

Comment

Working...
                    X