Convincing Spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convincing Spouse

How have some of you convinced your BETTER HALF that all in the world isn’t going as planned, and it’s time to start prepping for when SHTF...THANKS

I never had to do that.

Comment

My beloved Kath was much brighter than me, usually two or three steps ahead...

( I soon learned never, ever to play Chess or Monopoly against her, as Totally Embarrassing drubbings ensued... )

I'd make her aware of novel issues, identify a w-i-d-e range of solutions, let her think them over, choose the least intrusive / unsightly...

Um, if you can invoke 'known' hazards such as CalPower planning to shut off entire districts as forest fire risks, your 'Shake Out' cache being too small to harbour visiting kin, or a storm insurance discount by upgrading roof ties etc, a little wary logic goes a long, long way...

Comment

Jeffro 10: Try baby steps. Small increments that you can build on. It isn't hard to point things out on the news where people may have fared better had they been prepared. Maybe start with a car kit/get home bag. Build from there a little at a time. My wife condones it, and considers it more my hobby than being full on-board participant. She recognizes how it has held us in good stead when a SHTF event pops up.
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I showed her what I was doing for over 4 months then we got hit with two hurricanes back to back. No power for 10 days so she learned a lot over those 10 days and now she is a believer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro10 View Post
            How have some of you convinced your BETTER HALF that all in the world isn’t going as planned, and it’s time to start prepping for when SHTF...THANKS
            Slow and steady, a comment on a news article here. Picking up an extra something there, because it’s on sale and prices never go down. Is there someone in your circle of friends she trusts that’s a prepper, sometimes a seed planted by them. I have a good friend who works with electrical transmission lines, we talked about the fragility of the grid conversationally in her hearing.

It’s taken me years

Comment

Some that have been having a hard time convincing their other half to get on board the wagon train may have an easier time now. It is getting crazy with the flooding, droughts and various other items going on. It is really easy to point out the signs in so many of the stores on many food products not available until "August"...yeah...please don't make me laugh. I don't know where the think they are going to get many of these items from with fields still under water and other problems. The word I'm hearing from the truckers is those with "reefers" (the refrigerator units) have traded their units in for regular boxes as their is less and less produce to move. The truckers are also being undercut for loads all over the place. My friend is about to quit after 20 plus years as it is costing to much to run the truck for the money they are getting paid. Not long ago they were still at $3 a mile and now down to $1 a mile which is not a money making endeavor. It is slightly different in various parts of the country but the problem is spreading. Time to wake up. If there is no food to move....no trucks will roll...no store shelves filled.......oh oh.......

Comment

Very good and useful post.......Thanks.

Originally posted by mtnlioness View Post
                The word I'm hearing from the truckers is those with "reefers" (the refrigerator units) have traded their units in for regular boxes as their is less and less produce to move. The truckers are also being undercut for loads all over the place. My friend is about to quit after 20 plus years as it is costing to much to run the truck for the money they are getting paid. Not long ago they were still at $3 a mile and now down to $1 a mile which is not a money making endeavor. It is slightly different in various parts of the country but the problem is spreading. Time to wake up. If there is no food to move....no trucks will roll...no store shelves filled.......oh oh.......
                One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnlioness View Post
                  . I don't know where the think they are going to get many of these items from with fields still under water and other problems. The word I'm hearing from the truckers is those with "reefers" (the refrigerator units) have traded their units in for regular boxes as their is less and less produce to move. The truckers are also being undercut for loads all over the place. My friend is about to quit after 20 plus years as it is costing to much to run the truck for the money they are getting paid. Not long ago they were still at $3 a mile and now down to $1 a mile which is not a money making endeavor. It is slightly different in various parts of the country but the problem is spreading. Time to wake up. If there is no food to move....no trucks will roll...no store shelves filled.......oh oh.......
                  https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...oses-its-doors
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Working...
                  X