Daily Sound Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And something domestic...

Several weeks back, I had to demolish our patio steps' handrail as it blocked urgent ladder access to rear gutters etc. I'd designed it demountable, but the hardware had totally seized. Oops. Time to break out the nut-splitters, big wrenches and 'medium' pry bar...

Being a totally 'Golden October' day, I'd left kitchen & patio doors open to air the house. What should have needed but minutes took a lonnnng hour, and a lot of small flies got in...

I've been hunting them ever since. I found my neat electric fly-swat had been eaten by its leaking batteries, so had to order a replacement. This was very effective, soon thinning the busy 'sun swirl' to a few wary loners. I even remembered where I'd stored my replacement UV tubes for the big, wall-mounted zapper. This now picks off loners 24/7...

As for the others...

Remember the Coders' Caution of, 'There's always one last bug' ?

For the last week, thrice daily, I've held 'No Quarter' fly-hunts. I've zapped every fly in sight, some in mid-air, some by accident on back-swing, some with 'low sweeps'. Zzzap ! Pow ! Thunderbolts & Lightning ! Yay !!

And, yes, the next time I look, there's yet more hold-outs...

It is a war of attrition which I'm winning, but I'm seriously impressed by the remaining flies' 'Duck & Cover' tactics !!

Comment

• Since the forum went over to https, my Norton's has screamed each and every time I've signed in here.

Says the site is 'new'...
      D'uh...

Comment

• not sure. So little traffic and activity here anymore.
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• Why is this happening?

Comment

• Outrage fatigue ??

Comment

• I think fatigue for lack of ownership support. Other sites out there are still supporting the members and their sites.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                I think fatigue for lack of ownership support. Other sites out there are still supporting the members and their sites.
                Quoted for truth.

For too long, critical features of this site were broken, and mods could not contact the owner (for a long, long time) to get them fixed. Despite everyone's earnest effort to drum up and maintain new membership, fatigue set in. Some were even wondering if the owner had died!

The more than two dozen knowledgeable folks that I invited to here didn't stick around because of a lack of site functionality and support.

Oh well, we tried.
                Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

• Just dropped in to say hello........I see things still suck.
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                    Just dropped in to say hello........I see things still suck.
                    Internet forums are often what the members make them.
                    One can't blame everything on someone else.

Comment

• Just saying hello! It’s been a month or so since I check the site. My I internet time has been cut to minimal due to recent focus on some projects.

Comment

• Good to hear from you AlaskaJohn.

I wondered how you have been doing and hoped you and yours have been well and happy.
                        Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

• Looks pretty quiet around here. I just joined and was looking for somewhere to discuss survival and prepping as well as share my experience and enthusiasm for knives and the outdoors.

Comment

• Made it to UK TV news that a man in Maine USA booby-trapped his house door against intruders.

Next thing, he's rung '911', as he's been 'hoist by his own petard', shot by his infernal device.

Injuries proved fatal.

Oops...

Take care out there ??

Comment

• Originally posted by Fullscaler View Post
                              Looks pretty quiet around here. I just joined and was looking for somewhere to discuss survival and prepping as well as share my experience and enthusiasm for knives and the outdoors.
                              Welcome Fullscaler, it is quiet around here, used to be really active and had a lot of great core members but lack of moderators and resolution of that issue by ownership has resulted in some issues and loss of activity.

Comment

• That is too bad to hear. Anywhere else that people from here frequent that has good discussion and information that i should check out?

Comment

Working...
                                X