No announcement yet.

Daily Sound Off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes we are Grzz. Thank you for asking. I thought we would get a big one last Tuesday. Perfect tornado weather; morning temps in the 50's; afternoon temps in the mid 80's. We had a huge storm, and all the sirens went off, but I don't think anything touched down.

Flooding has been almost as bad as '93, but we are high and dry. It has not been an issue.

Has anybody heard from ZAGran? She is probably in Harm's way much the way I am.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Morg, glad to hear you're doing well and out of harms way so far. I've not heard from Z in a long while. I think she and AJ had most of their fill of the forums.prayers that she and hers are safe and going well.

This weather is nuts this year. about 3 or 4 weeks back a tornado hit about a mile from the house, like the first in 25 years around here. and since we've had several watches and today had a warning here. didn't hear if one touched down or was just on radar. had some crazy hail that damaged some friends cars. didn't get a chance to look over the Mrs van as she got caught in it driving home from the grocery store.

Crazy weather for sure. Everyone be safe.
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Morg, I'm so glad to hear you and yours are high, dry, and safe.

I didn't realize ZAGran was in 'nado country too. Here's hoping that she has not been wrasslin' with them.

Country Guy, now don't you be messin' around with 'nados!

Be safe, y'all!
        Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
          Country Guy, now don't you be messin' around with 'nados!

Be safe, y'all!
          Trust me Grizzy I want nothing doin with'em, they're trying to pick on me.

Looks like we had another one possibly touch down this evening just outside of town and ran part way up the valley to the one beautiful state park we have. where it's to have started is only about 4 miles as the crow flies from the house. these are happening way to much for this part of the country.

I saw a post about one tonight that happened in 85 when I was a kid near where I grew up. That went thru a state park back home and made about a mile wide swath for about 4 miles. I think it said that year PA had something crazy like 23 'nados hit. not sure how many so far this year across the commonwealth but I'm thinking its got to be at least 12 I know of so far. 3 last night I know of in eastern PA.

Comment

It looks like none of us are immune from them. We had one go through a few years back that missed our house by a couple of hundred yards. One of the neighbors filmed it on his cell phone. Craziest part was there was no warning. No sirens. No green sky. No freight train coming. Just look up and Holy S&%t!!! Touched down a little West of us; came right over a good size hill; went through a park and jumped the river. Really made a mess of the town next to us. Scary stuff.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Bumping along... miss our old crew here. new place has a few to many self righteous and tin foil hat types for my taste. Don't know, my days of forums might be drawing to an end...

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                Bumping along... miss our old crew here. new place has a few to many self righteous and tin foil hat types for my taste. Don't know, my days of forums might be drawing to an end...
                Oh I hope not CG! I agree with you on your observations, but because it is a small and newish board, they do seem to stand out rather loudly, don't they?

To help encourage the board in a more constructive direction, I have been inviting friends from other boards, and hopefully, if the trend continues, eventually it will keep growing into a more sane board.

Another thing I think might help any board, is to start the kind of threads that will generate the kind of feedback we want....instead of letting them steer thread after thread towards tinfoilerstan country.

I noticed that the membership changes quite often, and the more sane threads being started, the more sane members will want to stay.

Comment

I check in about once a week but seldom post any more. Why? Personal reasons multiplied by hackers with a vendetta against some of my family members over who voted for whom. GARBAGE

Comment

I'm here but less and less on all of them as seems like most of the ones remaining are heavy loaded with the morons more disposed to drinking the kind of kool-aid served by Alex Jones or UFO types. I had started to pop back over to the The Backwoods Home forum for a few weeks and then it came back with an error and I messaged the editor thru FB and found out they'd decided to shut the forum down a few weeks back. Figures, just after I try getting active back over there again but guess not a big surprise as they looked to have little traffic there. What a shame though with the treasure trove of posts there and all that knowledge just gone with the flip of a switch never to be seen again.

All these survival sites going down; I know the tinfoil asshats are running around yelling conspiracy, CIA, black helicopters, chem-trails, blah blah blah... But I'm thinking, as I've previously said, it's a simple answer... money. Likely many of these sites were set up and owned by the same people or a handful of people and most were set to run nearly autonomous, relying on the moderators doing the required work for free. Also ever notice how most all of them had near identical formats, layouts and topic categories? Note how many popped up and bloomed around the time of all the fad of the Doomsday TV crap, 2012 Mayan BS, Hurricane Katrina and all the other hot topics that could be fanned to flame to get the sheep and fad "preppers" who where hungry for info to click to these sites and who even better were looking for sources on where to go buy "stuff". And these these sites were there to feed their neurosis along with giving them an on-ramp to overpriced, low quality "survival/ prepper" crap the web site advertisers were pushing all over these sites. All that traffic and ad dollars was big bucks, all the clicks bringing in Google ad cents dollars. But now since clicks pay barely a fraction of what they did and since the drunken spending of the panicked sheep is gone, so are the profits and any interest and support the owners had.

My guess is some are basically on the very back burner so that when the next panic hits they will be here for them to quickly wind up and sell advertising on and turn the cash well back on.
                    Last edited by CountryGuy; 06-16-2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I spend a lot more time at the other place. Not much going on here. I try to ignore the tin foil hat stuff, and participate on those threads that are interesting or thought provoking. Pick and choose, and ignore the rest.

Comment

yeah, I guess, just sort of tired of the heavy handedness of the moderator deciding what people should and shouldn't talk about or even how to talk about something. Don't really dig how he runs it like it's his and he's the king poobaa. My search continues for a new home and I still hold out hope(slim) that this site will rebound.

Comment

CG: If you find something interesting let us know. I would hate to see you stop posting. I have always enjoyed your contributions. At the new place some people can get a little opinionated, I agree. I tend to ignore those posts.

Hope everybody is well here. I miss the old group.

Comment

What Morgan said. And, speaking for myself, I enjoy the other posts well enough that I hardly pay attention to the things you speak of.

If and when you do find a place that you like, I hope you let us know (maybe in this thread?) because I miss your posts, which I enjoy!

Comment

I'm here... Been busy and there's ZERO Truth or accuracy to anything mentioned here. Site hasn't been for sale, domain most certainly isn;t. Would never ever sell it for 10k, would take a lot more than that and no hosting was not prepaid until a certain date only. In fact it was moved to a more robust bullet proof platform. Much to some people's dismay I'm still alive and ticking.
                              WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                                I'm here... Been busy and there's ZERO Truth or accuracy to anything mentioned here. Site hasn't been for sale, domain most certainly isn;t. Would never ever sell it for 10k, would take a lot more than that and no hosting was not prepaid until a certain date only. In fact it was moved to a more robust bullet proof platform. Much to some people's dismay I'm still alive and ticking.
                                We are all so glad to see you back, and in one piece! The only dismay ANY of us had was that you may not be alive or that something terrible had happened to you (see all those posts!), and that this forum would vanish, and we would all lose touch with each other unless we made contingency plans.

As you can see from speculative postings by many members, we wondered if you were still alive, and many attempts by moderators were made to contact you, with no luck for a long time.

One of the members who tried to find you found the info about the site being for sale and posted the link to it. (Edited to add: it is in post #11 in this thread, but the info at the links apparently have been automatically updated and are no longer reflecting what was there at the time he posted it.)

I (and the rest of us) am glad to learn that this site is not being sold now! Even if it was, I would not blame you, considering all the expense and trouble you went through to salvage the site...and seeing how most of the members didn't find their way back.

Hating to see such a great forum die from lack of input, I busted my butt inviting over two dozen well-known quality posters to here, but most of them said that it was too much of a dead show/echo chamber to participate in.

Well, I tried... as you can see in the statistics in the sidebar of this site's homepage, I am one of the top posters on here (because my heart was totally in trying to revive this forum), and I have shared tons of quality info and started threads of merit.

Please don't form an opinion about us based on reading just a few postings. If you read through many of the postings, you will find that YOU WERE SORELY MISSED AND WORRIED ABOUT. (You may not have time to go through them all...but you certainly will find how much you have been missed as more members find this thread, and word gets out among the few who made it back to your site after you repaired it over a year ago...)

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 07-08-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X