Daily Sound Off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Sound Off

Thought I'd throw this here as a place to make a quick bump when a member pops into the page. Looking like 4 or 5 days have past and I don't see any updates on any threads. Or has everyone pretty much given up and left?
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Hi !
    I pop in several times a day, usually to post something wry on geo-hazards etc...

Speaking of which, Mid-West seems to have gone from snow-pack to flood-plain rather rapidly. Surge now heading down the Mississippi, which has just had a dousing by that recent storm front...

Comment

I stop in about three or four times a day, wishfully hoping that diesel and some moderators will magically be here, and this wonderful forum will be "saved". But they are never here.
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I check in few times a day.

Comment

Glad to see, i try to check in at least in the evening but I've not been seeing much in the way of posts. But it's funny it'll show me on as a member and then might say there are 40 even 60 guests visiting. and the few new people that post see to make 1 or 2 posts in a day or 2 and then *poof* they're gone.

I hear you Sourdough, I keep hoping Diesel pops in even if it was just to make a few of us that are still here into admins/ moderators. I wonder if we blitzkrieg him with complaints if he'd get alerts and maybe respond, assuming something hasn't happened with him.

Comment

I was just checking to see if the site is still up. Really miss the old days!!!!!
            You don't have to be perfect, but you better be smart!!!

Comment

I hear you Bue. It used to be so active and had a good group. not the sky is falling, red dawn wannabes that seem to populate most of the other sites

Comment

I'm still here, welcoming new members and really, really hoping that that that this site survives. I have invited over a dozen and a half quality people to here over several months, in hopes of rekindling it. (Most of them gave me the impression that it was too much of an empty house to bother with.)

100%+ to what Country Guy said about needing mods/admin. Can't steer a ship without a wheel...and all that.

Seeing how Diesel invested money and time repairing the site last year, only to put it up for sale (as SonofLiberty mentioned on another thread), I am surprised that effort is not being made to at least maintain it to protect his investment. This makes me suspect that something DID happen to Diesel. No one in their right mind would go through all that work and money without at least following up on the results of his efforts.

This has been one of the saddest things I have ever seen in over two decades of visiting internet forums.

Some time ago (in 2018) I did some digging to try to find answers and learned that the forum's hosting company has yearly plans (I forgot the links that I found that led me to this info, but the math strongly indicated that the forum's yearly term would need to be renewed this Spring.) Regardless of when the yearly plan ended, I seriously feared that unless it was renewed, we would all eventually find this site dark, given Diesel's strange disappearance.

Lo and behold, I am seeing some new light at the bottom portion of this site.

Although Diesel has NOT updated his copyright to Survival Magazine since 2017, the vBulletin Version 5.5.1 has a 2019 copyright date, and that version came out on March 12,
                2019 according to:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...e-for-download

This is a glimmer of hope because apparently someone paid for the upgrade that is now in place.

Diesel, if you can see this... please, please at least assign captains/admins to your ghost ship so that it won't sink for lack of a crew... You have a great site here that should not have to die an untimely death because of inaction.

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 03-21-2019, 12:55 PM.
                Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

We need to find where SOLiberty viewed that it is for sale. Maybe we start there. There has to be someone there to authorize a transaction. or reject an offer. Even if we offer ten dollars. we might learn something.
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I agree, Sourdough! And I'll let him know about this thread. He's had a lot on his plate lately, but should see a message on the SB board...

Comment

Hello everyone, I honestly thought this site had died. Checking the status of a site is very easy. Just type "whois" without the quotation marks into the search engine of your choice. Type in the URL when you get to the domain search page and you end up somewhere like this:
                      https://www.whois.com/whois/survivalmagazine.org
                      As you can see, registration expired 3 days ago. It shows no sign of being renewed. However, it shows up unavailable for purchase at this time.
                      https://shop.whois.com/domain-registration/index.php

Domain:
                      survivalmagazine.org
                      Registrar:
                      GoDaddy.com, LLC
                      Registered On:
                      2011-03-18
                      Expires On:
                      2019-03-18
                      Updated On:
                      2018-03-02
                      clientDeleteProhibited
                      clientRenewProhibited
                      clientTransferProhibited
                      clientUpdateProhibited
                      Name Servers:
                      ns63.domaincontrol.com
                      ns64.domaincontrol.com
                      Registrant Contact
                      Organization:
                      Survival Magazine
                      State:
                      Colorado
                      US
                      Raw Whois Data
                      Domain Name: SURVIVALMAGAZINE.ORG Registry Domain ID: D161800760-LROR Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com Registrar URL: http://www.whois.godaddy.com Updated Date: 2018-03-02T00:56:07Z Creation Date: 2011-03-18T04:36:10Z Registry Expiry Date: 2019-03-18T04:36:10Z Registrar Registration Expiration Date: Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC Registrar IANA ID: 146 Registrar Abuse Contact Email: @godaddy.com Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505 Reseller: Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited Registrant Organization: Survival Magazine Registrant State/Province: Colorado Registrant Country: US Name Server: NS63.DOMAINCONTROL.COM Name Server: NS64.DOMAINCONTROL.COM DNSSEC: unsigned URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form https://www.icann.org/wicf/) >>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2019-03-18T22:00:46Z <<< For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp Access to Public Interest Registry WHOIS information is provided to assist persons in determining the contents of a domain name registration record in the Public Interest Registry registry database. The data in this record is provided by Public Interest Registry for informational purposes only, and Public Interest Registry does not guarantee its accuracy. This service is intended only for query-based access. You agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to (a) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations to entities other than the data recipient's own existing customers; or (b) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that send queries or data to the systems of Registry Operator, a Registrar, or Afilias except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or modify existing registrations. All rights reserved. Public Interest Registry reserves the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy. The Registrar of Record identified in this output may have an RDDS service that can be queried for additional information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
                      Last edited by SonofLiberty; 03-21-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Wow, that was quick! Thank you!

Comment

According to this: Registry Expiry Date: 2019-03-18...this site should have expired by now UNLESS it was re-registered elsewhere. I think that some site/domain settings can be private and not show up on a public database such as Whois as who the actual owner is. That is how I have my own domains set up.
                          Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 03-21-2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I know that if I don't renew my domains (I have a few that pertain to various business interests), they will AUTOMATICALLY GO UP FOR SALE. This may be why this site is up for sale, and NOT a deliberate act on Diesel's part?

Sometimes wheels of commerce move slower than the calendar, and that could also be a reason this site is still up... if the site should go dark, we can all still communicate via PM at https://mysurvivalforum.com/ to confer and plan, right??
                            Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Hmm... I re-read SonofLiberty's post and noticed that this site is unavailable for purchase now, but back in January, he pointed this out:

survivalmagazine.org is available
                              $10,000.00 +$20.99/yr
                              The URL is available for purchase now. The owner has put it up for sale for $10k
                              https://survivalforum.survivalmagazi...ons-for-plan-b

Well, how about them apples?? I seriously doubt anyone would buy a forum with low traffic for $10,000. So maybe Diesel renewed the domain or...?

Anyway, if he wanted to save his forum, I would think he would want to come forward and be upfront about it, and assign admin powers to one of the surviving moderators (if they are even interested anymore)..unless he is NOT in a position to do so.

This is maddening to us, to say the least!!!!!!!
                              Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 03-21-2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X