Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbprice797
    replied
    Yea i made chicken noodle and beef stew the other day. The i froze it into little square packages that were about 2 bowlfuls then I vac pakked it and put it right back into the freezer.

I am now in the process of cooking amny meals and vac pakking them. That way if there is no power or gas I can still have cooked meals. My freezer has a generator that i will run for one hour a day to keep the thing cold. I tested it out. After 24 hours the temp inside starts getting to warm so run the generator with the freezer hooked up to it for an hour and it fixes the temperature problem. Then I don't lose my food I paid so dearly for.

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    sweet thanks yall i wanna make my own food which makes a heck of a lot more practical sense

Leave a comment:

• Brosia
    replied
    I just picked up a Master Chef foodsaver for $25 bucks on ebay, with 3 rolls of film. Not the top-of-the-line, but it will suit my needs.

Leave a comment:

• cbprice797
    replied
    Hey prkchp i got a Food Saver for 89 bucks I beleive it was. Got it just over two months ago and have worked that thing to death. Can get a PX, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, prolly Costco and of course online.

Leave a comment:

• barkingowl
    replied
    Originally posted by TheUnboundOne View Post
    Fellow Survivalists,

I would eat Mountain House if it were the only thing on the shelves, but it is very pricey. One had might as well take along a butler with a silver dish holding Grey Poupon on a bug-out.
    I knew there was something I was forgetting.

Originally posted by TheUnboundOne View Post
    I believe it was Big Saw who had the right idea about MRE-type foods: Buy the components you like in bulk from regular grocery shelves, not the camping aisle, and then make your own MREs. A home vacuum sealer can help extend shelf life, however, if the homemade MREs are comprised of items you use on a regular basis, you can rotate them and you don't need a super-long shelf life.
    The other thing is that the portion sizes & the taste of pre-prepared foods may not be to your liking. I'd hate to be "stuck" with 50 cases of MH food after I discovered that the portion sizes were too small & I hated the taste. Still I suppose it could be bartered... On another note I've been monitoring Amazon.com for survival food. They also have MH but their prices aren't that great. They will "supposedly" be offering 6 & 12 month bulk purchases at some vague point in the future. I'm on an email list for that & if it comes to fruition I'll let y'all know.

Thanks for the heads up on MH at WM! I personally can't stand WM either but I'll be sure to send my wife out there on a recon. ;)

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    i hear ya brosia i want one too how much is a vacum sealer any ideas

Leave a comment:

• Brosia
    replied
    I agree with the unbound one...I don't buy any MREs, I don't buy the Mountain House entrees.
    I stock pasta and grains, etc; and I plan on canning and dehydrating my own fruits and veggies that I grow.
    I do like the Mountain House cans of meat for emergency... that's one item I can foresee being hard to get in an emergency around here.

And who sells the butlers with grey poupon? I want one of those!

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    just got another two cases of mres today 50.00 bucksand 240 roounds of 30/06 100..00bucks yeaaaa still sealed in container as well

Leave a comment:

• cbprice797
    replied
    I know people that prefer MH over MRE's. I personally like most MRE meals.

Leave a comment:

• TheUnboundOne
    replied
    Fellow Survivalists,

I would eat Mountain House if it were the only thing on the shelves, but it is very pricey. One had might as well take along a butler with a silver dish holding Grey Poupon on a bug-out.

:D

I believe it was Big Saw who had the right idea about MRE-type foods: Buy the components you like in bulk from regular grocery shelves, not the camping aisle, and then make your own MREs. A home vacuum sealer can help extend shelf life, however, if the homemade MREs are comprised of items you use on a regular basis, you can rotate them and you don't need a super-long shelf life.
    Last edited by TheUnboundOne; 03-17-2009, 10:18 AM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• Lostinoz
    replied
    Originally posted by methusaleh View Post
    I choose not to do business with WM for ethical reasons, but...

I've looked everywhere and the best deals on MH foods are at Vitacost.com. I've found eBay sellers selling the 72 hour and 1-week food kits for TWICE what Vitacost has them for!

I have no financial relationship with Vitacost, I am just a satisfied customer!
    Wow Methusaleh, thank you! I didn't know about vitacost.com and the prices ARE a lot better than what I have been paying!! :)

Leave a comment:

• Lostinoz
    replied
    Originally posted by Skyowl's Wife View Post
    I can't find any Mountain Home foods at Vitacost. Got a link?

http://www.vitacost.com/productResul...sText=mountain

Type in the word "Mountain" in the search box on their page for more products.

HTH!

Oz

Leave a comment:

• Skyowl's Wife
    replied
    Originally posted by methusaleh View Post

I've looked everywhere and the best deals on MH foods are at Vitacost.com. I've found eBay sellers selling the 72 hour and 1-week food kits for TWICE what Vitacost has them for!

I can't find any Mountain Home foods at Vitacost. Got a link?

Leave a comment:

• Brosia
    replied
    that is the best price I've seen on MH, even from mountainhouse.com. thanks!

And, from the Mountain House FAQ page:
    Does Mountain House use ingredients from China?
    Mountain House purchases hundreds of ingredients from all over the world. Out of the hundreds of ingredients we use, there are only 4 ingredients from China. These 4 ingredients are used in the following flavors: Spicy Oriental, Chicken Teriyaki, Beef Teriyaki, Chicken Ala King* (Note - On the Chicken Ala King we are in the process of changing the only China ingredient in this item to a supplier in the USA).

Leave a comment:

• methusaleh
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X