25 miles in one day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 miles in one day?

According to the news (cbs & fox) 7,000 people managed to walk 25 miles in one day. One ( cbs) even reported they did it in 8 hours. How realistic is this?

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
    According to the news (cbs & fox) 7,000 people managed to walk 25 miles in one day. One ( cbs) even reported they did it in 8 hours. How realistic is this?
    Gran, For healthy adults this would not be a problem. I used to do up to 33 miles a day in jungle while being tactical and remaining unseen and unheard. I'm thinking children probably couldn't make that distance in 8 hours, but I could be wrong. A lot depends on the load there carrying and how steep the grade is as well as what kind of weather
    there walking in. I've been told (not confirmed) that the group in Mexico is using vehicles when the cameras aren't rolling. That would make 25 miles a day real easy.

Dale
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

I have been seeing lots of trucks carrying them. They could be playing leap frog; keeping the group fairly close together but moving the sick lame and lazy. I have also been hearing some fairly concerning estimates regarding how many muslims have slipped into the caravan, including members of AlQueda and isis.

Comment

I was more or less under the impression that about 15 miles per day for a family with children over the age of 10 was a reasonable amount given they were all healthy and reasonable shape. I would expect that of members of my family, myself excluded as my age and reasonable shape would limit me to about 10. I can last as long but can"t move as fast as younger adults.

Comment

I was more or less under the impression that about 15 miles per day for a family with children over the age of 10 was a reasonable amount given they were all healthy and reasonable shape. I would expect that of members of my family, myself excluded as my age and reasonable shape would limit me to about 10. I can last as long but can"t move as fast as younger adults.
          Gran,

A average human speed for hiking is about 1.7 MPH in wilderness settings and anywhere from 2.5 to 4 MPH in a urban or flat walking situation. At the average speed for wilderness would let a family on travel 13.6 miles in an 8 hour day. While the high rate of 4 MPH would let that same family travel 32 miles in that same 8 hour day.

Dale
          Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

So, we are all average and walk 1.7 to 2.5 miles (taking the lower end) per hour. That is the first day. What happens the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day? This is assuming the person is well fed and hydrated. Of course motivation will play a large part in the following days but if they are not?

Comment

Thought I would share this article from Off Grid Magazine. It is long, and well worth the read, but scroll down to The Realities of a Long Walk. This gives a pretty good indication of how difficult a long hike can be, as well as the aftermath. These people have help. No doubt in my mind.

https://www.offgridweb.com/preparati...-26-mile-hike/

While the media would like to play this up as refugees it is mostly men; not families; not women and children. This is an invading force, and should be treated accordingly.

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

So, we are all average and walk 1.7 to 2.5 miles (taking the lower end) per hour. That is the first day. What happens the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day? This is assuming the person is well fed and hydrated. Of course motivation will play a large part in the following days but if they are not?
                Gran, As someone that has done a lot of long distance hikes (military marches over 200 miles) I don't think average is anything but a word. I personally don't believe the political snow job our media is putting out. Like Morgan mentions, this group is primarily (about 80% from photos) young men between 16 to 30 years old. If this wasn't organized and transportation wasn't available, these young men would walk off and leave the families or people with young children. The organizers also have to be feeding and providing water for such a large group, so someone is well funded enough to financially support a Army Brigade. The logistics of moving and caring for that many people takes lots of money and refugees don't have money.

With the money and manpower involved and a already declared agenda I also believe this is an invading force and if they are successful in breaching our border, it's organizers will organize more "refugees".

Dale

Comment

Wasn't the old joke about 'Seven League Boots' a reflection of the quality that would let you walk 21 miles in a day without needing a re-build from a cobbler at the end ??

Also, but I cannot find the reference, there seemed a general limit for Medievals taking stuff to market of about a dozen miles, along unmade lanes, farm tracks, BroadWays etc, with the return journey at dusk totalling ~25 miles maximum for the day...

( Drovers and Drove Roads were a different matter, usually seasonal, much more organised, think Western cow-hands...)

On a cautionary note, some years ago, our BIL tackled the Scotland 'West Highland Way' (WHW). The weather turned very, very wet. It became a mud slog. His seriously expensive walking boots, previously worn-in, just fell apart. He had to tie the soles to the uppers with his spare shoe-laces...

And, yes, he wisely abandoned the crossing at the next opportunity, caught the train West to Fort William. We collected a stinking 'mud golem' from the station. We shoved him into the cottage shower, his mud caked gear into the laundry. He was still semi-incoherent until we refuelled him with many thousand kilo-calories.

Though very fit and well equipped, he'd been but a few hours from the onset of hypothermia, trench foot etc etc.

FWIW, the walking boots' famous maker initially denied responsibility then, when more such were reported, realised they had a batch problem. Something was wrong with the thread. They sent him a pre-paid posting bag, repaired his footwear under warranty, returned with a voucher against next purchase...

Too late for that season but, the following year, BIL 'did' the WHW in style...

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post

Gran, As someone that has done a lot of long distance hikes (military marches over 200 miles) I don't think average is anything but a word. I personally don't believe the political snow job our media is putting out. Like Morgan mentions, this group is primarily (about 80% from photos) young men between 16 to 30 years old. If this wasn't organized and transportation wasn't available, these young men would walk off and leave the families or people with young children. The organizers also have to be feeding and providing water for such a large group, so someone is well funded enough to financially support a Army Brigade. The logistics of moving and caring for that many people takes lots of money and refugees don't have money.

With the money and manpower involved and a already declared agenda I also believe this is an invading force and if they are successful in breaching our border, it's organizers will organize more "refugees".

Dale
                    I have heard one report that another caravan is already being formed. Can't remember the news org. but was most likely FOX since all the others haven't mentioned it.
                    I share your view

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                      Thought I would share this article from Off Grid Magazine. It is long, and well worth the read, but scroll down to The Realities of a Long Walk. This gives a pretty good indication of how difficult a long hike can be, as well as the aftermath. These people have help. No doubt in my mind.

https://www.offgridweb.com/preparati...-26-mile-hike/

While the media would like to play this up as refugees it is mostly men; not families; not women and children. This is an invading force, and should be treated accordingly.
                      The article reinforces my idea that 10 miles per week would be my max. After that first day it would take me a week to recoup. That is if I just had to walk and not try to avoid or hide from others. Then distance would be cut.

I also noticed that very few of those filmed had any sort of pack or way of carrying anything other than in their hands, like a bottle of water. Somewhere there is support and I doubt it is the locals.

Comment

Can we put this in perspective? These people are walking 2500 miles? That is like walking from Pittsburg to Los Angeles. They are walking through Mexico? Do things like eat; sleep; drink; #1 and #2 come to mind? This is organized, and I have heard the money is coming from Venezuela. Not vetted, but credible. God only knows what is in that caravan, and I don't care how bad it is where you live. Just because you live in bad conditions, and want something better doesn't make you a political refugee.
                        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Many in this caravan of migrants are chanting their national anthem and waving their national flag. As a group, that qualifies them as invaders, not refugees.
                          Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

I read in the news (forgot exactly where) that several hundred migrants left the caravan to return home.

But that is a drop in the bucket as a third caravan is in the works: https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/thi...rants-caravan/
                            Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

When are they expected to arrive at the border.....???

This might be a planned "Distraction".......from some scheduled event.
                              One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X